Lincoln Riley denies being a candidate for North Texas job

Harry

Things such is this is why guys like Neinas exist - they know who is looking or would entertain a meeting yet they (the search firm) don't answer to anyone or leak things to the media and risk potential hires getting in hot water with their current employer. 

• Upvote 4

Things such is this is why guys like Neinas exist - they know who is looking or would entertain a meeting yet they (the search firm) don't answer to anyone or leak things to the media and risk potential hires getting in hot water with their current employer. 

Very good point... We've had so many names come out already too. Makes it a lot more entertaining for us fans though. I think it was worth it just to see the OU fans sweat.

Not sure what to make of this.  That could be interpreted a couple different ways in political speak.  He didn't say he's not interested...

You got me thinking... He's not a candidate until he's been offered right? Maybe a stretch. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

"Your honor, I just dropped into Jimmy John's for a quick sandwich. I did not have an interview with that man, Mr. Villarreal !".

Well, we found the sweater vest with incriminating mustard stains.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Not sure what to make of this.  That could be interpreted a couple different ways in political speak.  He didn't say he's not interested...

according to Merriam-Webster...

candidate

noun can·di·date \ˈkan-də-ˌdāt, ˈka-nə-, -dət\

: a person who is trying to be elected

: a person who is being considered for a job, position, award, etc.

: a person who meets all the requirements for something

If he isn't being considered doesn't he meet the requirements  to be the head coach and thus a candidate by definition?

I guess they do have a game tomorrow, however, if he's the guy it'll probably happen pretty quickly now that the cat is out of the bag. Like most things in life, there's never a "good" time.  Our new coach's old team will be just fine. Might inspire our kids too knowing what's coming. 

Note, he didn't say that he didn't interview which leads one to assume he did.   Not being a candidate could mean he is not interested or just hasn't decided. 

Whatever the case, this certainly is not going to help the search.   Any working candidate certainly doesn't want it broadcast that he is looking around.  

• Upvote 4

I'm pretty damn sure that RV knows better than to leak any information as long as the interviewee is currently employed and that team's season is still in progress.  It hasn't been common knowledge of any interviews publicized before the selection.  Most of those that I know of were revealed by the candidate himself.  

I hope that this is the only revelation of an interview until after the selection and only then if the candidate okays it.  Maybe we should have rehired Chuck Neinas.  He kept everything under wraps at the last hiring.

I understand that most posters on this board totally fault RV with every bad hire but my understanding is that he hasn't had full say in at least most of the "revenue" sports hirings during his tenure.  There has been coercion by administration, donors and a committee.  Eventually, he must take the responsibility for failures and he likely will not be rehired when his contract is up.  

I realize that you are entitled to ranting about Villareal's failures while never considering the good things that he has done for this university but the point has been made and duly noted by all.  If I knew how I'd insert the gif of beating a dead horse here.  It seems that every thread has some posts pounding away at getting rid if Rick.  I believe that you are now doing more harm than good by your continual harping.  How about a moratorium (or at least a little waning) for awhile?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

Come on Gray, you can't reason with blind rage. I kninda like every topic to have 7 snide remarks and 3 statements that are completely untrue. All the the same people, over and over and over....

How many times in the past have coaches completely denied interviews, only to sign a contract for twice their salary 3 days later? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

How many times in the past have coaches completely denied interviews, only to sign a contract for twice their salary 3 days later? 

Agreed. It would be in Lincolns best interest to deny the interview from a PR standpoint. It only makes him look bad to the fans if they think his head is anywhere but 100% dedicated to OUs offense right now. OU would have had to give permission to UNT to interview Lincoln in the first place. I'm sure Stoops told him to keep it under wraps so as not to cause a distraction. It could have been leaked by his agent to create a public bargaining chip for a raise at OU while he waits out a better HC option. Happens all the time. It could also be the false denial when he knows he is gonna take the job.

• Upvote 5

Guys, again, these people sign non-disclosures during the interview process.  Therefore, he is likely prohibited from saying he's a candidate until after some certain point.  My guess is, that certain point in the non-disclosure is the end of Oklahoma's regular season.

And, here, is why we need OU to lose a lot in November:  If they are in the CFP or a major bowl game, Riley likely stays on through that...and, gets further behind recruiting here.

• Upvote 5