Lincoln Riley interviews for North Texas job

Harry

I was not aware he was a realistic candidate, but he gets a YES vote. I think he is right in the ballpark for what we should be looking for. I am wondering why a very successful coordinator from the Big XII would consider coaching a team in C-USA? I hate to be that guy that questions a gift, so I wont. I thought we would be in the same boat with Briles, but I'm not sure he is even on the radar now? RV must be listening to the whispers in the air, or is starting to think like we do. Well, like some of us.

You're off to a good start Rick V.. keep it up.

GMG!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

He's been there for less than a year.  Do you think he's built up that kind of rapport with Knight?

No idea.  But, does Knight, who has been a starter in the biggest of big time-type games - Sugar Bowl against Alabama two seasons ago - you have to wonder whether he enjoys the prospect of riding the pine for another season as his eligibility expires.

There is at least this...if Riley is hired, he is familiar with both him and the offense he runs.  It's not like many of the QB fifth year transfers pan out well at their new locations. You are talking about having to learn a system in less than a year, get up to speed with the receivers, build trust with teammates and coaches.

Exception has been Russell Wilson...although, he had been a three year starter at NC State before transferring to Wisconsin.  Most of the other fifth year QB transfers have been guys who didn't start, or started very little.

Knight would have a leg up already knowing the offense.  And, for Riley...that position would be one less headache as a new coach.  Knight is a known entity.  At that point, we'd pretty much be down to finding receivers with a good stable of RBs and three of the five OLs returning.

It's just a far off scenario right now.  But, you never know...Knight isn't learning any other school's playbook as he sits on OU's bench.  And, Baker Mayfield doesn't look to be giving up the driver's seat up there.  Knight may never play another meaningful snap at OU for the rest of his career.  He'd be the starter from the time he set foot on campus here.

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 1

I have always wondered.. If coordinators interview for other jobs, does that look negative in the eyes of their HC? Or that's just the nature of the business, and all coaches understand they could see their peers there one minute and then snatched away the next.

Edited by GreenTexan13

He would make recruiting fun. Not sure how good he'd be at building a staff or running a program, but that's not his fault. I also wonder how involved a guy like this would be in play calling, with it being his first job. 

I also wonder how quickly he would be discouraged when guys he is used to recruiting to OU won't give him the time of day at UNT.

I think this is a reach, just like the last 2 hires.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Think lil' Gundy would be interested in joining Riley as OC?

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/cale-gundy-talks-about-years-at-ou-his-desire-to/article_7a1179b6-4ca0-5247-a9bb-85068b445210.html

He's this at OU: Assistant Head Coach, Director of Recruiting, Inside Receivers
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208803405

You wonder.  It says in the article written in August that he'd like to be a head coach someday.  He's 43.  Has done a heck of a job a Director of Recruiting for Stoops. 

Although...Gundy sounds too old school for maybe some of our softer players.  Article about him and his recruiting of Adrian Peterson:
http://newsok.com/article/4949367

“We’ll win with or without you,” Oklahoma running backs coach Cale Gundy told Peterson, the nation’s No. 1 overall prospect in the recruiting class of 2004.

“Everybody went to Adrian Peterson and put their arm around him and told him, ‘You’re gonna come here. We’re gonna win championships. You’re gonna win Heismans. You’re gonna start,’” Gundy said.

“That’s just not how we work at Oklahoma. Everybody is told the same thing: ‘The only thing you’re guaranteed at Oklahoma is an opportunity.’”

According to an RB that signed at OU last year, he's a hard-nosed coach:

Anderson said Gundy’s personality resonates with him.

“I like the way he coaches, how technical he is and how he wants things done,” Anderson said. “I’m used to being coached real hard.”

So, Gundy may be too old school for our players, anyway.  He wants things done his way, and he coaches "real hard."  Sounds like the OU players like being coached that way. 

Another Gundy article, this one an interview about how things are done up in Norman as far as recruiting/coaching:
http://newsok.com/article/4949512

"It’s a challenge to be a football player here because of how hard you’re coached, how hard you’re pushed, how hard our strength staff challenges you. Our policies when it comes to being late to class, missing a tutor, being late to a tutor, I mean everything around here. Then you add on that you’re at a place like Oklahoma where they think you should win a championship every single year.

When I watch film and I find my running backs that I know have the talent to play here, that’s just half of it. Then you’ve gotta find the character. Then you’ve gotta find out if he’s the fit you want at Oklahoma. You can be a great football player, but don’t end up at Oklahoma because you don’t have the character or don’t have the want-to and the willingness to do certain things."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/ou-sports--report--lincoln-riley-interviews-for-north-texas-head-c/article_4a435926-fb75-5bac-b371-e404b5833017.html

OU released a statement Friday from Riley that said, "I understand that reports have linked my name to the head coaching vacancy at North Texas. I am absolutely not a candidate for that position. I am focused on only one thing — helping the OU Sooners win a conference championship."

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

I was not aware he was a realistic candidate, but he gets a YES vote. I am wondering why a very successful coordinator from the Big XII would consider coaching a team in C-USA? I hate to be that guy that questions a gift, so I wont. I thought we would be in the same boat with Briles, but I'm not sure he is even on the radar now? RV must be listening to the whispers in the air, or is starting to think like we do. Well, like some of us.

Damn, reading your post was depressing.  UNT is not a bad place to coach. We have a lot to offer being here and we are not the UNT of yesteryear. 

• Upvote 1

Oh, and...everyone still pissed at Rick?

Two bad football hires, he destroyed the basketball program, and craps on this schools biggest fans every time a microphone is in his face and you ask if everyone is still pissed at Rick? Do the math...

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 5

I was not aware he was a realistic candidate, but he gets a YES vote. I think he is right in the ballpark for what we should be looking for. I am wondering why a very successful coordinator from the Big XII would consider coaching a team in C-USA? I hate to be that guy that questions a gift, so I wont. I thought we would be in the same boat with Briles, but I'm not sure he is even on the radar now? RV must be listening to the whispers in the air, or is starting to think like we do. Well, like some of us.

You're off to a good start Rick V.. keep it up.

GMG!!!

Based on what he said in his presser at OU that Harry posted, he'd be closer to home. Maybe he looks at us as a stepping stone to get the Tech head job when Kingsbury gets run out of town. I don't mind being a stepping stone because you have to be successful to get hired away. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5