Lincoln Riley interviews for North Texas job

Harry

North Texas athletic director Rick Villarreal interviewed Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley this week for the Mean Green’s open head football coaching vacancy, according to a university official.

It’s unclear whether Riley was the first candidate to be interviewed, but he was the most recent from a list of candidates that is believed to include Arizona State offensive line coach Chris Thomsen, the former head coach at Abilene Christian, and Texas A&M offensive coordinator Steve Spavital.

Villarreal is also expected to inquire about the interest of TCU co-offensive coordinators Doug Meacham or Sonny Cumbie.

The 32-year-old Riley is in his first season with Oklahoma after spending five seasons as East Carolina’s offensive coordinator. Before that, Riley was an offensive assistant at Texas Tech.

He is considered one of college football’s bright, young offensive minds.

In Riley’s up-tempo spread scheme, the Sooners are averaging more than 530 yards a game and 45 points, including 60 the past three games.

read more:  http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/football/article43462332.html

This is exciting news! The guy comes from three teams (Tech, OU, and ECU) that are known for a well coordinated offense. Combine that with a past interest in UNT, a doubling in a pay raise,  and the chance to be titled a head coach (to gain experience for the P5's) and I think we have ourselves a strong candidate for the HC position.

• Upvote 1

North Texas athletic director Rick Villarreal interviewed Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley this week for the Mean Green’s open head football coaching vacancy, according to a university official.

It’s unclear whether Riley was the first candidate to be interviewed, but he was the most recent from a list of candidates that is believed to include Arizona State offensive line coach Chris Thomsen, the former head coach at Abilene Christian, and Texas A&M offensive coordinator Steve Spavital.

RV. You might want to interview Jake instead of Steve. Pretty typical for this AD IMO.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Here's thought:  With Baker Mayfield solidly in the driver's seat at OU, Trevor Knight here if Lincoln Riley gets the job?  Follow me.

Knight is in his fourth year at OU; redshirted in 2012.  He could be one of those fifth year transfers, right?

Anyone have a problem with that - admittedly far-fetched at this point - scenario?  Lincoln Riley - hired. Trevor Knight graduates from OU, follows Riley down here.

I'd go for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm excited as the next guy but this was an interview.  Doesn't mean he has accepted the job.  If OU wins out the remainder of the season, his stock could go through the roof.  Pleased to see us interviewing this caliber of candidate though.  I am convinced, this guy is going places, if not here somewhere else.  I will say, the more I read and learn about him the more impressed I am of him as a candidate.  Guy had nothing given to him.  A walk-on at Tech, he was not a 4-star athlete.  He was not a coaches son had no connections coming from Muleshoe, Texas.  Smart.  Hard worker.  Tutored under Mike Leach's Air Raid Offense.  Great recruiter.  Young but very mature, well spoken.  He might be a risk for a big p5 but if he had a couple good years here he could get one of the top jobs.  He has not been a head coach and UNT could offer him that without the pressure cooker of a p5.  Just sounds like a win win.

Edited by Harry

Here's thought:  With Baker Mayfield solidly in the driver's seat at OU, Trevor Knight here if Lincoln Riley gets the job?  Follow me.

Knight is in his fourth year at OU; redshirted in 2012.  He could be one of those fifth year transfers, right?

Anyone have a problem with that - admittedly far-fetched at this point - scenario?  Lincoln Riley - hired. Trevor Knight graduates from OU, follows Riley down here.

I'd go for it.

He's been there for less than a year.  Do you think he's built up that kind of rapport with Knight?