Will Clint Bowen or David Beaty Be A Candidate for North Texas HC?

GreenTexan13

I ran across some KU guys talking about the North Texas HC vacancy while searching the net. Obviously KU is the bottom feeder of the Big 12, and I can see why they would get the cold shoulder.... But, does anybody know these guys' coaching style? Will they even make good coaches here at UNT? I have my attention set to this, because I am really hoping we could scoop up an assistant/coordinator from the Big 12 as our HC.

http://www.scout.com/college/kansas/forums/2485-gridiron-talk/14183220-will-bowen-be-a-candidate-north-texas-hc

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Clint is interesting.  He's very impressive and he can recruit.  If he were paired with a really good OC I would think he would be viable.  No Texas ties is another negative for him but he is a good example of a guy who can recruit wherever he lands.  He was one of our best recruiters when he was here.  

The "him" Cerebus references is Thomsen.  I'm on board with this 100%, even over Riley.  
No Thomsen/Norvell package deal, then I'd be happier with Riley.

If we got a Norvell/Thompson package oh boy that would be a steal. Two good offensive minds with our resources in Texas. The turn around would be quick. Norvell would probably get job offers in a hurry from bigger schools and then we just replace him with Thompson. That could be a dream scenario. 

The "him" Cerebus references is Thomsen.  I'm on board with this 100%, even over Riley.  
No Thomsen/Norvell package deal, then I'd be happier with Riley.

If we end up with Fritz or Thomsen/Norvell then I will probably just full on kiss Dr. Smatresk on the mouth the next time I see him.  Riley will get him a firm yet appreciative handshake.  

• Upvote 4

If we end up with Fritz or Thomsen/Norvell then I will probably just full on kiss Dr. Smatresk on the mouth the next time I see him.  Riley will get him a firm yet appreciative handshake.  

If we end up with any of those guys I'm all for the President being allowed to get a Gatorade bath and crowd surfing in the student section.

• Upvote 3

Beaty is gonna get probably 4 years up there to fix the mess that KU has on its hands. They are the P5 version of what SMU was last year. Both had coaches that had quit on the recruiting front and players that had quit on the coach. A terrible situation that will need LOTS of time. They gave Mangino years to get the thing turned around under him in very similar circumstances at KU and I suspect Beaty will get 4 years to turn things around or get fired.

What I think will help Beaty is what helped Mangino--they both have playing time to offer to 2 and 3 star Texas HS kids, while still getting to play often in front of your family down here during the season. And when (if) Kansas State's wizard coach retires (dies), they could probably jump back up in recruiting within the state again, as they did the last time Snyder retired for three years. But with Kansas, the question always goes back to whether the AD and school will give football enough resources and attention without it hurting their basketball program. For most of the last 100 years, that question has been rather easy to answer, to the detriment of their pigskin program. Of course, when you have a basketball team that brings in so much revenue to make up for the football program, as Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, and a handful of other schools do, its not hard to see why they haven't hurt the goose that lays the golden egg. That was one of the greatest fallacies in the first wave of realignment in 2010--that football was ALL that mattered. As with most things, when actual thought goes into the strategic plan of what makes sense for your conference, TV markets, academic status, total success from revenue sports, etc...Its why the B1G learned after taking in Nebraska that Maryland and Rutgers were the next schools that were needed to tap into their locations. Same with the ACC taking Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville. When the Big XII falls apart in the next 10 years or so, it will be why a school like Kansas, that could have a football team win 10 games in 10 years, will use its location, AAU status, and national hoops program to move to another Power league, while K-State will see what has been a ranked program for most of the last decade in football, get left out because their location is remote and academics are low-rated for a power league.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

All things being equal, I'd say Thomsen is my #1 choice.  He's been at some successful FBS school now.  And, he did a pretty good job at ACU.  I mean...ACU was having guys drafted when Thomsen was there.  And, in multiple years for a while there.

So, I'd say Thomsen, given what you have to deal with a D-II schools, seemed pretty adept at looking into every nook and cranny for talent.  He's also 1-0 as an FBS coach, leading Texas Tech to a bowl win after Tuberville bolted the high plains for Cincy.

After, Thomsen, I'd jump on the Riley wagon.

Third, for me, would be a tie between the two who were scapegoated by the alma maters - Applewhite and Heupel.

Fifth, Norvell.

Sixth, give me the Co-OC at Memphis not named Dickey, Brad Cornelsen

Seventh, if it comes down to old retreads, give me Tommy Bowden for his interesting sport coat choices alone.

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 1

If we got a Norvell/Thompson package oh boy that would be a steal. Two good offensive minds with our resources in Texas. The turn around would be quick. Norvell would probably get job offers in a hurry from bigger schools and then we just replace him with Thompson. That could be a dream scenario. 

The only trepidation I have regarding Norvell is, like Briles, he's only been exposed to 1 way of doing things: Todd Graham's way.  
Thomsen has been a HC before, so he has his own experience outside of Graham, and that experience is nice, but it was at the D-II level.

I don't think it would be a slam dunk hire, but it's a risk I'd be on board with taking as the upside is rather great.   There would be alot of pressure on him to find the right DC though.