Did the Jimmy Show get canceled?

10Eagle10

Only has 5 rushing yards in the last 4 games. With a losing season confirmed, there has been a warranted youth movement, but I feel for this young man who has put a lot into this program for 5 years to just completely get shut down. Before the season started, I thought he was a shoe-in to join the 2,000-yard career club; however, with only 4 games remaining and 201 yards to go, I have my doubts. I'd love for us to keep that DeSoto pipeline open, ya know?

Has he been injured or something else? Or is this just a case of going a different way?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Didnt realize he was so close to 2K? Is that club for rushing and receiving (total yards) or just rushing? Seems like most of his touchdowns and yardage came from catching the ball? Still, JJ is a great talent and good team player for the Mean Green. Not sure what his future holds, but he would make a very good RB coach.

GMG!!!

When he got here I really thought he would be one of the all-time greats when all was said and done. I think he got in the dog house a couple of times with Mac and he had some fumbling issues. Combine that with JW being here and it sent him to the bench. He could be electric at times and then make you say huh? at times(and not in a good way).

• Upvote 2

When the offensive line is opening up holes and when he's running north and south, he's tremendously effective.

When the offensive line isn't opening up holes and when he's running east and west to try to get to the edge, he's tremendously ineffective.

Had the offensive situation been different, Antoinne could have been in the conversation with the other great backs we've had in recent years. I'd love to see him hit 2000 yards this season, but I don't see it happening.

I noticed him walking to the locker room, too, Green59. I feel for the guy, but I also appreciate that this is not a time for the coaches to indulge in sentimentality. I understand why he'd be upset and unhappy, and I wouldn't expect him to be excited over being sidelined in his senior year. As the great philosopher Tony Romo would likely tell us, "it is what it is."

Edited by MeanGreenWithEnvy
  • Upvote 4

I noticed him walking to the locker room, too, Green59. I feel for the guy, but I also appreciate that this is not a time for the coaches to indulge in sentimentality. I understand why he'd be upset and unhappy, and I wouldn't expect him to be excited over being sidelined in his senior year. As the great philosopher Tony Romo would likely tell us, "it is what it is."

This. Both Wilson and Ivery should be the featured duo going forward for the next 2+ years. They've shown to be tremendously effective runners in Chico's spread offense, where as Jimmy was better in Mac's stone age offense, and we are(fingers crossed) not going back to that philosophy ever again.

Or he dances in the backfield 90% of the time and gets dropped for a loss rather than cutting and hitting the hole like Wilson. That might have something to do with it

He can't cross a street without getting locked up, much less a line of scrimmage.  

Seriously, he produced better catching passes out of the backfield than straight up run plays to my recollection. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seriously, he produced better catching passes out of the backfield than straight up run plays to my recollection. 

Yeah, that's the way I remember him, making something like a 90 yard play out of a little screen pass.  I do agree that the big problem is, Jeffrey Wilson came along, and the situation for the coaches right now is they have to show as much success on the field for the rest of the season as possible, to help in getting whatever their next job is (although I think one or more may stick, no matter how clean a sweep is being discussed here).  It does remind me of what our longtime and successful high school coach here in Euless, Steve Lineweaver said once, that "colleges aren't charitable institutions".

Didnt realize he was so close to 2K? Is that club for rushing and receiving (total yards) or just rushing? Seems like most of his touchdowns and yardage came from catching the ball? Still, JJ is a great talent and good team player for the Mean Green. Not sure what his future holds, but he would make a very good RB coach.

GMG!!!

Just rushing. He currently sits at 1,799 yards rushing.

To be fair, he's danced 90% of the time since he got here. I don't think that can explain his complete disappearance in the last 4 games, which is what the OP was wondering, unless the staff decided "4.5 years is enough! No more soup for you". I guess what I'm saying is: the dancing is not a new development and can't be the only reason that the Jimmy Show was scrubbed.

For anyone interested, here's a link to his stats:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/515139/antoinne-jimmerson

In the fall of 2011, most of us would've been over the moon if Johnathan Gray had committed to North Texas. It's interesting when comparing the numbers of Jimmerson and Gray how similar their college career arc is. In fact, Jimmerson actually averages .03 ypc more than Gray does. The fate of Gray just goes to show what injuries, dancing, and finding yourself in the wrong situation can do to one's potential NFL prospects.

Jimmerson career stats:

393 carries; 1,799 yards; 18 TDs

30 catches; 376 yard; 5 TDs (12 catches; 205 yards; 3 TD's in his RS freshman year - 2012)

To expand this topic, there are a lot of players that we basically were led to believe would have been much more productive than they appear.  Start with what I think were questionable results from the juco transfers.  Gray is the only one that is substantially contributing.  Thompson at wr has started but has 3 catches for 16 yards.  Combs has 9 tackles in 8 games.  Finney has 24 tackles for the year, I was expecting that in 2 or 3 games.  I don't know if Dakota Smith has even played.  If you are going heavy Jucos, you have to have better results than that.  

Others that I expected more include on the defensive line Sid Moore and Habaul which neither has played much.   Add to that, Polk who was supposed to be the best returning lineman.  He has 4 tackles for the year.  At lb, Ellis is seldom used.   Marshall at db, apparently should have stayed at LB.  Fernandez  who may be injured as only played in one game. 

On the offensive side, what was supposed to be better and deeper wide receiver corp has been a major disappointment.   Goree has only 7 catches on the season, albeit one was great.  Rutherford 2 for 8 yards.   Don't think Kahn has played. 

This would not be so bad, if there were others that were excelling taking the above game time.   However, with a few exceptions that is not the case particularly at lb and wr. 

• Upvote 2

To expand this topic, there are a lot of players that we basically were led to believe would have been much more productive than they appear.  Start with what I think were questionable results from the juco transfers.  Gray is the only one that is substantially contributing.  Thompson at wr has started but has 3 catches for 16 yards.  Combs has 9 tackles in 8 games.  Finney has 24 tackles for the year, I was expecting that in 2 or 3 games.  I don't know if Dakota Smith has even played.  If you are going heavy Jucos, you have to have better results than that.  

Others that I expected more include on the defensive line Sid Moore and Habaul which neither has played much.   Add to that, Polk who was supposed to be the best returning lineman.  He has 4 tackles for the year.  At lb, Ellis is seldom used.   Marshall at db, apparently should have stayed at LB.  Fernandez  who may be injured as only played in one game. 

On the offensive side, what was supposed to be better and deeper wide receiver corp has been a major disappointment.   Goree has only 7 catches on the season, albeit one was great.  Rutherford 2 for 8 yards.   Don't think Kahn has played. 

This would not be so bad, if there were others that were excelling taking the above game time.   However, with a few exceptions that is not the case particularly at lb and wr. 

Yeah I would be interested to see what @BillySee58 thinks it us with Sid Moore. I remember Billy talking about what a good recruit he was for us and he really seemed to show something last year but this year nada.

Fernandez and Khan are both out for the year with injuries.

Yeah I would be interested to see what @BillySee58 thinks it us with Sid Moore. I remember Billy talking about what a good recruit he was for us and he really seemed to show something last year but this year nada.

Fernandez and Khan are both out for the year with injuries.

I think GOMG2013 is right. His problem is not a talent one.

Haboul tore a ligament in his knee. I was just looking at the roster earlier and he's no longer on it. Good thing is he gets his degree next month.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1