USA Today: Top 31 College Assistant Likely To Move Up

Briles again.

Although, there are some much more intriguing names out there...

Here's what I'm thinking on Briles, my knowledge of him as a person and/or coach being absolutely zero.  How long has be been with the Baylor program?  I ask because it was not all that long ago at all that Baylor was actually less attractive than North Texas.  So if he's been around since those days, he's got the "Come build this down and out program" speech down for recruits.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's what I'm thinking on Briles, my knowledge of him as a person and/or coach being absolutely zero.  How long has be been with the Baylor program?  I ask because it was not all that long ago at all that Baylor was actually less attractive than North Texas.  So if he's been around since those days, he's got the "Come build this down and out program" speech down for recruits.

I'm sorry, but that has never been true.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In reference to Briles. I would say @Mean_Green09 has been pretty spot on with his sources, so I'm gonna trust what he has to say on that. 

Im going to say that things evolve over time. One minute you hear a guy has no interest and the next minute he does. I'm by no means an insider and I dont do this for a living. This coaching search has been fun to cover so far. One minute you look like you know what your talking about, the next you look like an ass. Its been fun to reach out to other insiders and to actually have them converse with me about what we are hearing on our end. 

Baylor people say its unlikely to happen, but thats only half of the story. Now we have to run down the UNT side of the story. 

All I will say is stay with me. Its going to be a bumpy ride until we have white smoke from the Administration building at UNT.

• Upvote 3

Im going to say that things evolve over time. One minute you hear a guy has no interest and the next minute he does. I'm by no means an insider and I dont do this for a living. This coaching search has been fun to cover so far. One minute you look like you know what your talking about, the next you look like an ass. Its been fun to reach out to other insiders and to actually have them converse with me about what we are hearing on our end. 

Baylor people say its unlikely to happen, but thats only half of the story. Now we have to run down the UNT side of the story. 

All I will say is stay with me. Its going to be a bumpy ride until we have white smoke from the Administration building at UNT.

Exactly.  This is the time of year when currently employed coaches vehemently deny that they're considering leaving for ________'s head coaching position.  

Also, we appreciate your coverage and updates of the coaching search!

• Upvote 1

Maybe not, but Baylor was at best the ugly step sister they let sit in the corner of the prom.

while UNT was never even invited...

let's be honest... if we are talking about public perception, there might have been a two week window where people thought of the UNT football program as an overall better option than the Baylor program. 

This would be like saying people would gladly choose to coach at Portland St. over UNT after this year

• Upvote 1

Well, if you go back and look at Rivals's recruiting rankings, in 2003 North Texas was only six spots behind Baylor, and then in 2004 the two were nearly equal.  Since that time the two programs' recruiting and, in turn, on-field success have gone in opposite directions.  So yes, there was a time, albeit brief, when recruits were fairly torn between the two schools--and then obviously Baylor made some smart coaching hires, while we made some historically bad ones.    

• Upvote 1

Frank Wilson, LSU running backs coach/recruiting coordinator

Why he could be a head coach: He's a tremendous recruiter and dynamic personality who has coached a steady stream of great running backs at LSU.

Where he fits: Might be a longshot for a Power Five job, but any Conference USA school that needs to recruit the Southeast should take a long look.

LSU running backs coach and recruiting coordinator

LSU running backs coach and recruiting coordinator Frank Wilson(Photo: Derick E. Hingle, USA TODAY Sports)

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. I honestly think Frank Wilson is on our radar.

• Upvote 2

Well, if you go back and look at Rivals's recruiting rankings, in 2003 North Texas was only six spots behind Baylor, and then in 2004 the two were nearly equal.  Since that time the two programs' recruiting and, in turn, on-field success have gone in opposite directions.  So yes, there was a time, albeit brief, when recruits were fairly torn between the two schools--and then obviously Baylor made some smart coaching hires, while we made some historically bad ones.    

I'm not sure if opposite is a strong enough word to describe that. They are national title contenders and we would have a hard time affording tickets to the national title game.

Nice job of covering yourself lol

• Upvote 1

55808915.jpg

ahh forget it, he's on a roll...

Baylor, because of their political ties, won the lottery by getting into the Big Xii when they did. Nobody wanted them, but they had the right political ties, so they got in. Literally, they were the punching bag of the Big Xii in football until Briles showed up. One year, in the mid-2000s, Baylor won 1 game, while TCU and Boise State combined had only lost one game. They were both top ten, but not yet BCS busters, so they got matched up in the Ponsettia Bowl in San Diego in mid December. TCU beat Boise to give them their only loss, so both finished in the top ten, IIRC. But what really stood out that year was that the bowl money that TCU and Boise took in from that year was less than what Baylor got from the Big XII's other teams--combined.

Baylor found their latest iteration of Grant Teaff and they are going to be great as long as Briles stays there. But it certainly wasn't always like this...and even at their worst, which was either getting drubbed by us at Fouts, 52-14, in 2003 or when they lost to UNLV on a fumble return of 100 yards on the last play of the game when they just needed to take a knee, their coffers have always kept them higher on the food chain than every single other G5 team around. Briles himself showed that when he left a good UH program to coach at Baylor when they were the dregs of the P5 schools.

• Upvote 2