Time frame on a new coach?

bstnsportsfan3

What is the time frame on teams hiring a new coach? When was Mac hired? Do think it will be before thanksgiving? Early December?  Just curious on how much speculation we have to go through and what is an accurate time frame for a decision like this? Too bad RV is the one in charge of it... but that's another topic 

Here's SWAG - January 15 would more or less be the drop-dead date IMO. Perhaps two or three weeks earlier if Coach X was not currently employed, involved in a conference playoff or a bowl game. The job posting by UNT went up what? A week ago? I was under the impression those job postings have to be open a month before being filled. To refine my answer to the question posed, I would say between November 28 and January 15 would be the target range.

Edited by EagleMBA

I think Rick or Neal said it would be announced after the season would be over, and that's one thing I agree with them on. The players obviously like playing for Coach Chico, and unless the Mean Green miraculously win out, I think it's safe to say Canales will not be the head coach in 2016. Although if the new guy was actually announced before Thanksgiving, I think that would give an incredible spark to the players before the UTEP game to end Mike's UNT career in style.

If history is any indicator, I would estimate we will know our new head coach's name on November 30 or December 1.

Dickey fired - November 8, 2006

Dickey Last game - November 25, 2006

Todd Dodge hired - December 12, 2006

Todd Dodge last SLC game - December 23, 2006

Todd Dodge fired - October 20, 2010

NT last 2010 game - November 27, 2010

McCarney hired - November 30, 2010

McCarney fired - October 10, 2015

NT last 2015 game - November 28, 2015

Signing Day is Feb. 3rd.  Unless the new coach is familiar with the high school landscape in Texas, we stand to lose another year of recruiting.  This would be an advantage for someone like Applewhite, Briles, Canales, or Cumbie.  Other prospects would likely have a slower start.  I am not advocating for anyone, but I believe, at least for this year, recruiting would likely be affected this way.

• Upvote 4

Signing Day is Feb. 3rd.  Unless the new coach is familiar with the high school landscape in Texas, we stand to lose another year of recruiting.  This would be an advantage for someone like Applewhite, Briles, Canales, or Cumbie.  Other prospects would likely have a slower start.  I am not advocating for anyone, but I believe, at least for this year, recruiting would likely be affected this way.

So what you're telling me is that the new HC will be able to asseble a Mccarney-esque recruiting class. Got it. 

• Upvote 1

I think Rick or Neal said it would be announced after the season would be over, and that's one thing I agree with them on. The players obviously like playing for Coach Chico, and unless the Mean Green miraculously win out, I think it's safe to say Canales will not be the head coach in 2016. Although if the new guy was actually announced before Thanksgiving, I think that would give an incredible spark to the players before the UTEP game to end Mike's UNT career in style.

If the decision is made before the end of the season, it will leak out. This AD doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut about such things.

He is also in self preservation mode and needs something, anything to change the narrative.

I bet he doesn't keep it a secret for more than 5 minutes, tops.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If Rick can do his job, the new coach will be here the day after their regular season is over... even if he's in a bowl game.

The only possible way he's not is if by chance we get a guy from a team in the Playoff.  In that case, he'll be here after his team is eliminated from (or wins) the National Championship.

Man, I hadn't thought about it until now, but we really couldn't select someone and then let him coach throughout the playoff.  The national championship is not until January 11, and I don't see how we could wait until mid-January to start recruiting.  We would be headed for a bottom-ten-ranked class, which would hinder said coach for years to come.

Man, I hadn't thought about it until now, but we really couldn't select someone and then let him coach throughout the playoff.  The national championship is not until January 11, and I don't see how we could wait until mid-January to start recruiting.  We would be headed for a bottom-ten-ranked class, which would hinder said coach for years to come.

Agree

So depending on who wins their showdown on the last weekend of the year (assuming both remain unbeaten), the TCU/Baylor assistants are going to be out.

Agree

So depending on who wins their showdown on the last weekend of the year (assuming both remain unbeaten), the TCU/Baylor assistants are going to be out.

Many times an assistant will move on before bowl games after the regular season, not sure about a national championship or not. 

Didn't Tom Herman coach both Ohio State and Houston at the end of last year.  By Houston i mean assembled his staff, and coordinated them to begin recruiting while he was still the OC at Ohio State.

yes he did.. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12034332/houston-cougars-hire-ohio-state-buckeyes-oc-tom-herman-head-coach

And I would expect if we are hiring someone like that they do the same thing.  The work on a staff and get them going on recruiting.. The commute between the two in the interim.

• Upvote 1

yes he did.. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12034332/houston-cougars-hire-ohio-state-buckeyes-oc-tom-herman-head-coach

And I would expect if we are hiring someone like that they do the same thing.  The work on a staff and get them going on recruiting.. The commute between the two in the interim.

That article doesn't say anything about him working on a staff for Houston.   I don't think Meyer would allow that while his team is preparing for a NC run.

I stand corrected.  Meyer was playing with fire letting his OC tinker with something on the side while preparing for a NC run.  But, there's a reason he has 2 National titles and is on cruise control for another one.

compared to most of our recruiting classes?  Aren't we pretty much rated low. I would rather wait for the right hire than hire the wrong one so we get recruiting in to maybe finish 5-10 spots higher. 

NT should find a coach before the last game, and name him after the season finale.  Not doing so, just burns any advantage NT had by terminating McCarney so early.  I don't think many coaches would want to remain at their current school effectively delaying their progress at NT.  In hind sight letting Dodge finish out a high school season was ridiculous. 

Yes, there are coaches that might demand that they be able to finished the season at their current school and for the right guy; NT should wait.   Actually, if he is a head coach now, it would be strange if he didn't want to finish the season.  However, even if that does happen; the hire should still be announced as quickly as possible. 

I really hope that NT is doing a lot more now, than just looking at possible candidates and waiting for the season to end; to start any kind of negotiations.  Waiting around for the top candidates to see what else is out there could be very risky.    They find a more appealing job and NT loses out on the best alternate choices because of the delay.