UNT Head Coaching Candidate Poll 11.2.15

Harry

UNT Head Coaching Candidate Poll 11.2.15  

107 members have voted

1. 1. UNT Head Coaching Candidate Poll 11.2.15 (Feldmen list only)

• Kendal Briles - Baylor OC/QB Coach
    • Mike Norvell - Arizona State OC/Deputy HC
    • Everett Withers - James Madison HC

Although I am most intrigued by the positives Briles offers, I think Mike Norvell would be the best hire. Norvell has the best experience of the two having coached at Central Arkansas, Tulsa, and Pitt. Briles coming here would be the first time he doesn't have his dad around in the coaching world, almost like a kid moving to college after high school. It's a big change. 

• Upvote 1

Does anybody know why Everett Withers has moved around so much? We want somebody with experience but he seems to play hot potato when it comes to where he wants to be. Per Wikipedia:

1988–1989Austin Peay (DC)
1990Austin Peay (ST/WR)
1991Tulane (assistant)
1992–1993Southern Miss (assistant)
1994New Orleans Saints (assistant)
1995–1997Louisville (DC)
1998–2000Texas (assistant)
2001–2006Tennessee Titans (assistant)
2007Minnesota (DC)
2008–2010North Carolina (DC)
2011North Carolina
2012–2013Ohio State (DC)
2014–presentJames Madison

His longest run somewhere was with the Titans as defensive back coach. Not many of his new jobs have really been promotions from the one(s) held before. For example, he was with the Saints for a year to then go to Louisville as defensive coordinator to then be a defensive backs coach at Texas. Defensive backs coach with the Titans to then be U Minnesota's DC for a year. It's a lot of hopping around.

We want somebody to view us a stepping stone, but it doesn't look like he's ever really used any program as a stepping stone.

In addition, he has a 23-12 HC record. Pretty good! But most of that is in the FCS. I feel like he doesn't have enough HC experience to make that even worth mentioning and this year marks the first time he has been HC at a program for 2 consecutive years...

Briles is the only one that doesn't impress me.  I hope Fritz is still high on the list, I know he isn't considered a "big splash", but we've tried out big splashes for our last two hires and it hasn't work.  Fritz has built a program and recruited at just about every level there is.

McCarney was not a "splash" hire. He was the under-the-radar, ultra safe pick.

• Upvote 2

Out of the 3, Briles is the only one that makes sense.

Novell- he makes 900k as an OC, I think bigger money will come from schools like USC and SC

Withers- I see him staying in the east coach, not coming to the south.

Briles- Well, we all know my stance on him.

Edited by Dr. Seuss

You know what I think they should do?  Unless the next incarnation of Nick Saban suddenly wants to come along, I say let Chico stick around for the entirety of next season.  

This gives us time to find the right guy

Lets us get recruiting immediately without waiting for all the necessary hoops to be cleared in drafting and signing a new contract.  

Gives Chico his shot, which like it or not, he really does deserve.  

Creates minimum risk with maximum upside potential.  Doesn't put us on the hook for a buyout if it fails.

If we suddenly find ourselves sitting at 8-1 and have totally curb stomped the bronies and roadroosters, then hire him.

Finally, for the banner fliers out there, it decreases the likelihood of your personal nemesis choosing the permanent hire for this program.

*Caveat - Cosh is the freak out of here.  Like yesterday.  Like don't let him back on the bus from Ruston this weekend.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

You know what I think they should do?  Unless the next incarnation of Nick Saban suddenly wants to come along, I say let Chico stick around for the entirety of next season.  

Lets us get recruiting immediately without waiting for all the necessary hoops to be cleared in drafting and signing a new contract.  

Creates minimum risk with maximum upside potential.  Doesn't put us on the hook for a buyout if it fails.

If we suddenly find ourselves sitting at 8-1 and have totally curb stomped the bronies and roadroosters, then hire him.

Finally, for the banner fliers out there, it decreases the likelihood of your personal nemesis choosing the permanent hire for this program.

*Caveat - Cosh is the freak out of here.  Like yesterday.  Like don't let him back on the bus from Ruston this weekend.

I kind of agree with this. For a couple of reasons.

1. There are going to be A LOT of HC moves at the end of this season. We don't get one locked down in a couple of weeks we may get an "also ran" 

2. Until a HC is in place, be it Chico or someone else, no offers are going to be made, no offers = no recruits. 

Now could a big splash hire entice guys to de-commit and commit to us late in the game? Certainly. BUT if point #1 happens and we get scraps due to the amount  of overall HC turnover in the league we probably won't have the splash to be flipping anyone late.

• Upvote 2

I kind of agree with this. For a couple of reasons.

1. There are going to be A LOT of HC moves at the end of this season. We don't get one locked down in a couple of weeks we may get an "also ran" 

2. Until a HC is in place, be it Chico or someone else, no offers are going to be made, no offers = no recruits. 

Now could a big splash hire entice guys to de-commit and commit to us late in the game? Certainly. BUT if point #1 happens and we get scraps due to the amount  of overall HC turnover in the league we probably won't have the splash to be flipping anyone late.

I've only seen stuff like this recently, as in, the past few days.  There have been myriads of "Who should we get" threads out there since McCarney was fired.   The only times Canales was ever brought up, the poster was completely dismissed (rightfully so).   Now we have a win against UT-SA, and all of a sudden hiring Canales is a smart move?

frank-the-tank-meme-generator-i-like-you

• Upvote 3

I've only seen stuff like this recently, as in, the past few days.  There have been myriads of "Who should we get" threads out there since McCarney was fired.   The only times Canales was ever brought up, the poster was completely dismissed (rightfully so).   Now we have a win against UT-SA, and all of a sudden hiring Canales is a smart move?

Yeah, I'm not so much backing a multi-year deal as I am thinking that the right hire may not be out there right now.

I like Canales, but a hire like Briles, Riley and even Norvell could come in here and get recruits that we otherwise wouldn't have a shot with Canales in place. Briles or Riley could outrecruit Canales in 1 month vs giving Canales an entire offseason/season.

Side note* I think if we do get one of these up and comers and it finally sticks we have to break the bank to get them to stay here when bigger money comes calling. 3-4M a year. Granted that is if we see optimal succes throughout the first contract. 

• Upvote 1

I like Canales, but a hire like Briles, Riley and even Norvell could come in here and get recruits that we otherwise wouldn't have a shot with Canales in place. Briles or Riley could outrecruit Canales in 1 month vs giving Canales an entire offseason/season.

Side note* I think if we do get one of these up and comers and it finally sticks we have to break the bank to get them to stay here when bigger money comes calling. 3-4M a year. Granted that is if we see optimal succes throughout the first contract. 

I don't think we need to find our Bobby Bowden with this hire.   Creating a culture of winning where a coach will want to come here to continue his climb to a "dream job" a-la Boise St. is what we should be looking for.   Or, BEST CASE Scenario, we bring in our Franchione and he drops off our Patterson when leaving.

This has nothing to do with winning the UTKFC game for me. But AD's freeze recruiting when they fire a HC - meaning no offers are made.  It has way more to do with keeping recruiting going for this season and actually having some people to fill scholarships when Feb rolls around. If we hire a new HC next week then the point is moot but if this drags on for a month...

This has nothing to do with winning the UTKFC game for me. But AD's freeze recruiting when they fire a HC - meaning no offers are made.  It has way more to do with keeping recruiting going for this season and actually having some people to fill scholarships when Feb rolls around. If we hire a new HC next week then the point is moot but if this drags on for a month...

This is either short-sighted or kicking the can.

So if you sign Chico on a 1-yr deal and he comes back next year at this time with a 2-6 or 3-5 record, what then?  Gotta freeze the recruiting or extend Chico again, but you've not gone anywhere.

Whereas, if you get a new coach in here and he throws together a sloppy 1st class, at least he has a year recruiting his own guys for the next season.

What recruiting has gone on so far this year that would warrant the necessity to "keep recruiting going this season"?   And who says the new guy wouldn't keep coach Patrick or coach Perry who are our most successful recruiters currently on staff?

Does anybody know why Everett Withers has moved around so much? We want somebody with experience but he seems to play hot potato when it comes to where he wants to be. Per Wikipedia:

1988–1989Austin Peay (DC)
1990Austin Peay (ST/WR)
1991Tulane (assistant)
1992–1993Southern Miss (assistant)
1994New Orleans Saints (assistant)
1995–1997Louisville (DC)
1998–2000Texas (assistant)
2001–2006Tennessee Titans (assistant)
2007Minnesota (DC)
2008–2010North Carolina (DC)
2011North Carolina
2012–2013Ohio State (DC)
2014–presentJames Madison

His longest run somewhere was with the Titans as defensive back coach. Not many of his new jobs have really been promotions from the one(s) held before. For example, he was with the Saints for a year to then go to Louisville as defensive coordinator to then be a defensive backs coach at Texas. Defensive backs coach with the Titans to then be U Minnesota's DC for a year. It's a lot of hopping around.

We want somebody to view us a stepping stone, but it doesn't look like he's ever really used any program as a stepping stone.

In addition, he has a 23-12 HC record. Pretty good! But most of that is in the FCS. I feel like he doesn't have enough HC experience to make that even worth mentioning and this year marks the first time he has been HC at a program for 2 consecutive years...

1988-1997 it looks like he worked his way up to DC at Louisville, but they changed HCs in 1998 and he became an assistant at UT,  From there he coached 6 years in the NFL before he worked his way back up to DC and  then interim HC at UNC when they fired their coach.  He went 7-5 and lost a bowl game while they looked for a repacement.   He then became assistant HC-DC at Ohio St where they went 24-2.  Then HC at James Madison where he went 9-4 last year and 7-2 this year.

This guy should be given a serious look.

• Upvote 1