What makes Mike Norvell ASU's top recruiter?

Harry

This is a big week for Arizona State. Not only for health and fundamental purposes, but also for recruiting. With the Sun Devils off this weekend, their coaches are set to hit the recruiting trail. Coach Todd Graham even will travel the Valley skies by helicopter.

"Being able to get out and go see games will be good," offensive coordinator Mike Norvell said.

Aside from running ASU's offense, this is where Norvell makes his mark. By some measures, he is ASU's top recruiter. Asked why this is, Graham before the season brought up Norvell's passion and work ethic, which he said often has the two talking recruiting on the phone as the clock nears midnight. Concluded Graham: "He's like a dad-gum Chihuahua, just chomping on your dang heels, man."

To date, Norvell has had a hand in lassoing six of ASU's 12 2016 commitments, a group that includes four-star quarterback Dillon Sterling-Cole of Westfield High in Houston; three-star running back Tre Turner of Holy Cross High in New Orleans and three-star receiver Kyle Williams of Vista Murrieta High in California.

read more: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/asu/2015/10/22/what-makes-mike-norvell-asus-top-recruiter/74400330/

I don't much like the idea of this guy.  Yes, he is young and ambitious and runs a pretty good offense but much like his boss, I feel like he would bounce at the first chance given.  I could be totally off base with that assumption but I just think he would use UNT as a stepping stone.  I also understand that of any coach we bring in though.  I feel like we need to bring in someone with a little more experience and someone that can build / develop a coaching staff.  This way, he could groom a successor if & when he leaves upon having success at UNT. 

I don't much like the idea of this guy.  Yes, he is young and ambitious and runs a pretty good offense but much like his boss, I feel like he would bounce at the first chance given.  I could be totally off base with that assumption but I just think he would use UNT as a stepping stone.  I also understand that of any coach we bring in though.  I feel like we need to bring in someone with a little more experience and someone that can build / develop a coaching staff.  This way, he could groom a successor if & when he leaves upon having success at UNT. 

We want UNT to be a stepping stone!  We want guys like Tom Hermann to come here, go undefeated and get bigger jobs.  We cannot compete with the power schools in terms of money. 

We do not want UNT to be Arkansas State and have a revolving door every year either, so I get  your point on that -- although if you look at their record compared to ours lately it may not be too bad an option.

This is great and all, but I keep asking this question - how good is this guy when he doesn't have ASU to recruit to?  Does all of that recruiting talent go POOF, or is this guy just a natural talent when it comes to bringing in guys?

I don't see ASU as THE school in  the Pac 12.  Typically that is like USC or UCLA.. so in that vein, I think he has done well against other, perhaps richer history schools in his own conference.  Remember, we aren't expecting the next guy to start out recruiting Texas or A&M, but we do want him to win more battles than he loses in C-USA.  Norvell is not the flashy guy, he's just a tireless worker that has a great strategy to employ.  For Todd Graham to say he is the best recruiter on the staff is extremely high praise.  Graham is one of the best recruiters in the country and has been for awhile.