Coaching Search Ticker-North Texas Candidates

dml7007

North Texas: Fox Sports' Bruce Feldman reports some names in the mix at UNT include Baylor offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Kendal Briles, Arizona State offensive coordinator / quarterbacks / deputy head coach Mike Norvell and James Madison head coach Everett Withers.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Have to say like Everett Withers.. Lots of experience a big time programs with big time coaches, and head coaching experience.

Edited by dml7007
  • Upvote 6

Withers was a part of the reason NC got into the trouble they were in when he became Interim.  Not sure if he's the guy for us if there are others that are interested.

That said, I'd interview him if he were interested.

No he was cleared of everything.  His only offense to my knowledge is he wouldn't rat out his boss.  Guy is a terrific coach and can flat out recruit anywhere.  Was the DC at Ohio State at one point.  Would be a great hire for us.  He was on ESPN gameday a couple of weeks back so I think his name will be a popular one.  I would like to pair him with a good OC however.

How does fox sports know this information?  Just curious?

Probably just make it up, bc not many people care if he is wrong about reporting on the job opening. Not sure how Briles name got thrown out there. Multiple people have said that he isnt interested. 

Baylor people think Briles name will be thrown out a lot more for other jobs. They said there is no smoke to the report of his name being mentioned for UNT.

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I would prefer Norvell over the other two. Withers seems interesting. I think lil' Briles is a bit too green at this point and is riding off of daddy's coattails 

I don't disagree with you on Briles being young and it is a concern.  However, his dad being Art is a huge positive to me.  Art is one of the best coaches/recruiters in the country.  To have a man like that to lean on for knowledge and experience is OUR gain as well.  Art Briles is a Texas high school coaching legend and that will open doors for Kendall.  The other thing you would do is pair Kendall up with experienced coordinators who could help him to learn the ropes, perhaps a guy who has been a head coach before.  Kendall may look at the UNT job as a perfect place to start his head coaching career and we should definitely keep him in mind.

One more thing on Withers -- we need to hope that V-Tech keeps their assistant Bud Foster as the new HC because it would make a lot of sense for them to name Withers as the replacement. 

here's a direct link to Feldmen's column: 

● I’m hearing the North Texas coaching search is progressing. A few of the names I’m told are in the mix: Baylor OC Kendal Briles, a 2006 grad of Houston; Arizona State OC Mike Norvell and James Madison coach Everett Withers. Another potential option for UNT is Texas play-caller Jay Norvell.

link:  http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/virginia-tech-hokies-frank-beamer-retiring-coaching-candidates-fuente-rodriguez-foster-110115

I don't disagree with you on Briles being young and it is a concern.  However, his dad being Art is a huge positive to me.  Art is one of the best coaches/recruiters in the country.  To have a man like that to lean on for knowledge and experience is OUR gain as well.  Art Briles is a Texas high school coaching legend and that will open doors for Kendall.  The other thing you would do is pair Kendall up with experienced coordinators who could help him to learn the ropes, perhaps a guy who has been a head coach before.  Kendall may look at the UNT job as a perfect place to start his head coaching career and we should definitely keep him in mind.

One more thing on Withers -- we need to hope that V-Tech keeps their assistant Bud Foster as the new HC because it would make a lot of sense for them to name Withers as the replacement.

I don't disagree with any of this.  Still, I think of being a 50 yr old defensive coordinator getting my ass chewed by a 33 year old young buck that never had to pay his dues.  I guess I am saying I can see where his age could  hurt the chemistry of the staff.  With that said his age is probably the only reason we have a shot at him.  If Baylor stays on it's lofty perch 5 more years we would have no shot.

• Upvote 3

● I’m hearing the North Texas coaching search is progressing. A few of the names I’m told are in the mix: Baylor OC Kendal Briles, a 2006 grad of Houston; Arizona State OC Mike Norvell and James Madison coach Everett Withers. Another potential option for UNT is Texas play-caller Jay Norvell.

link:  http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/virginia-tech-hokies-frank-beamer-retiring-coaching-candidates-fuente-rodriguez-foster-110115

Good Stuff Harry. I dont like the Fox Sports guy of Jay Norvell as our coach because its just like Spavital with Texas A&M, you have all this talent and you cant seem to do shit with it.

I want a guy that has expertise with maximizing minimal talent and turning those guys into solid gold by the time they are done. Knowing how to mold a playbook or plays to were it maximizes your players abilities.

• Upvote 1

I don't disagree with any of this.  Still, I think of being a 50 yr old defensive coordinator getting my ass chewed by a 33 year old young buck that never had to pay his dues.  I guess I am saying I can see where his age could  hurt the chemistry of the staff.  With that said his age is probably the only reason we have a shot at him.  If Baylor stays on it's lofty perch 5 more years we would have no shot.

agree 100%.  To put it into the context of splash hire versus safe hire, Briles would be splash and Withers would be the safer hire.  Wither will not bring as much excitement as Briles would but would bring a ton of great experience.  It is a risk reward type of situation for UNT.

Edited by Harry

Briles and Norvell are the same age BTW.

agree 100%.  To put it into the context of splash hire versus safe hire, Briles would be splash and Withers would be the safer hire.  Wither will not bring as much excitement as Briles would but would bring a ton of great experience.  It is a risk reward type of situation for UNT.

Only interested in Withers if he brings his kinfolk, Bill, on as an assistant.

• Upvote 2

To be honest, I like Mike Norvell probably as much as the others due to the fact he is the right hand man under Todd Graham.  That basically means he can recruit his ass off and there will not be another coach that is more dedicated or works harder in the country.  Graham has his critics, but the man has succeeded at every place he has been. I have no doubt that Norvell would put together a fantastic staff and get this thing moving in the right direction quickly.

http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=207923333

Hell no to Jay Norvell. The Austin sports media is having a field day with this guy over his performance against Iowa State. Also, Withers can't be a serious candidate if he is a defensive guy, right? Didn't RV say they were going after offensive coaches?

I do not want Jay Norvell either but I would take Mike Norvell.

Edited by Harry

Hell no to Jay Norvell. The Austin sports media is having a field day with this guy over his performance against Iowa State. Also, Withers can't be a serious candidate if he is a defensive guy, right? Didn't RV say they were going after offensive coaches?

Yes he did. Could also be his agent floating his name to get RVs attention when he isn't on our radar. UT's probably floating Jay Norvell's name so he will go away.

• Upvote 1

James Madison Offensive stats:

Passing offense is ranked 19th at 284 yards per game

Rushing offense is ranked 4th at 309 yards per game

Scoring offense is ranked 1st at 48 points per game

Total Offense is ranked 1st at 593 yards per game

I don't think offense is a problem for a Whithers coached team 

• Upvote 1