DRC Monday column: Canales providing spark again

Brett Vito

Wow how sad there Brett, a pillow fight that was really bad football. We played really bad ourselves and could have easily lost that game. Don't start handing out trophies for bad displays it is horribly desperate. 

I feel a lot of the same sentiments for Chico that Brett expresses. Saturday was not an overwhelming performance against a mediocre team, but when you haven't won in almost a year you probably have to learn how to do it again. One in a row is not a trend but if Chico coaches them to competitive performances the rest of the way he will have shown that this is not just a dead cat bounce. Come what may, I hope to see Coach Canales land a HC gig somewhere...he has earned it.

• Upvote 2

UNT averaged just 16.9 points per game in seven games under Todd Dodge in 2010. Once Canales took over, that figure jumped to 33.8 points per game. After Saturday’s win against UTKFC, the Mean Green’s production under Canales has improved from 14.8 points to 23.6 points per game.

No matter what, that is pretty impressive.   

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Cherry picking stats out of context is not a good thing. 

I don't see them out of wack this year to tell you the truth.

Mac had games against SMU (horrible), Rice (not good), Iowa (very good), USM (good) and Portland St ( FCS for God's sake)

Chico had game against WKU (best team in CUSA), Marshall (Second best team in CUSA), and UTKFC (terrible)

• Upvote 3

“I did everything I possibly could because this program meant so much to me,” Canales said of chasing the job five years ago. “If you don’t think it means even more now, you’re nuts. It means everything to me. This place has given me a home, my wife and I. I am loyal to this place and the administration. I am loyal to the president and the student body. This place means more to me than you can imagine.”

This quote really means something to me. Chico is a class act and its a shame that he never got the opportunity to lead this program for an entire year.  I don't think the boosters and alum would get too upset if Chico was named the head coach but I personally think a fresh start is the best solution to fix our problems.

• Upvote 5

I don't see them out of wack this year to tell you the truth.

Mac had games against SMU (horrible), Rice (not good), Iowa (very good), USM (good) and Portland St ( FCS for God's sake)

Chico had game against WKU (best team in CUSA), Marshall (Second best team in CUSA), and UTKFC (terrible)

14 of the points at WKY were trash, and the win over KFC was pretty ugly and could have gone another way. Hell I expected to win this one, and I am no Mac fan either. 

14 of the points at WKY were trash, and the win over KFC was pretty ugly and could have gone another way. Hell I expected to win this one, and I am no Mac fan either. 

We scored trash points against the other teams as well.  It's been a bad year.  Doesn't mean the offense hasn't been better since, DSmith has doubled McNulty's total offense per game.

When Mac was coach I did not expect to win this game.  Even with Canales I thought it was a probable loss.  It was a decent win for us.  The only other game I expect to win is UTEP.

• Upvote 1

I'll bite. We know directly from Chris Riddle (Florida QB Recruit) that Chico hasn't been able to recruit the guys he wants. He's been handcuffed. And i'm not saying he is the perfect candidate.

I don't know who the answer is from North Texas. But honestly, someone who cares about this program, and loves it here. Is passionate about little ol' UNT, and has improved everything he's put his hands on when he's had full control.

You want wide open offense?

" In 2008 at South Florida, Canales’ offense led the Big East Conference in scoring and finished second in total offense.  He helped his team reach a national ranking as high as No. 2 during the 2007 season and No. 10 during the 2008 season."

Done.

You want someone with some head coaching experience but is still younger and affordable?

Done.

He has shown me that he is willing to adapt his game to find success, he can motivate and he wants to be here. He knows everything to know about this program and what it would take and he still wants that kick in the teeth. We actually get in depth answers to questions in interviews and not ra-ra horse shhh...er crap (sorry harry).

He pretty much is your wish list embodied if you give him the benefit of the doubt that he's never had much control here. The only thing we don't know is his recruiting. But the man has been chomping at the bit and he's hungry. He'll get an offer to be a HC somewhere and if it's not here, mark my words. Quote me. Save my post. I think UNT and us here on the boards will regret it. And if i'm wrong i'll eat all the crow you can dish.

Now all that being said:

- His contract should be three years

-To get an extension he needs an entrance to a bowl game at least once

-He needs to fire cosh

I know we are all keyboard coaching experts, but college football hiring isn't as formulaic as you try and make it. It's a crapshoot, there are 1,000,000,000 reasons why it could all go wrong even if we hire the "right" guy. At least we'd be gambling on someone who gives as much of a damn about North Texas as we do.

(Preparing for downvotes sir!)

Iv5o0HU.gif

And he stayed, I guess Dodge handcuffed him too. Makes no sense

And to add to CC's pseudo rant.

Regarding recruiting. There is something terribly inconsistent in the allegations from some that Coach C. doesn't recruit, and the personality that I see in the "pressers".

I see someone that loves to talk and loves to sell....both the school and himself. That is very inconsistent with someone that (allegedly) doesn't recruit.

• Upvote 3

And to add to CC's pseudo rant.

Regarding recruiting. There is something terribly inconsistent in the allegations from some that Coach C. doesn't recruit, and the personality that I see in the "pressers".

I see someone that loves to talk and loves to sell....both the school and himself. That is very inconsistent with someone that (allegedly) doesn't recruit.

I agree. He seems to be a very likable guy. I guess recruiting talent is something that he will have to prove (possibly), since our recruiting has been pretty close to the bottom during his fairly long tenure around here.

• Upvote 1

I'll bite. We know directly from Chris Riddle (Florida QB Recruit) that Chico hasn't been able to recruit the guys he wants. He's been handcuffed. And i'm not saying he is the perfect candidate.

I don't know who the answer is from North Texas. But honestly, someone who cares about this program, and loves it here. Is passionate about little ol' UNT, and has improved everything he's put his hands on when he's had full control.

You want wide open offense?

" In 2008 at South Florida, Canales’ offense led the Big East Conference in scoring and finished second in total offense.  He helped his team reach a national ranking as high as No. 2 during the 2007 season and No. 10 during the 2008 season."

Done.

You want someone with some head coaching experience but is still younger and affordable?

Done.

He has shown me that he is willing to adapt his game to find success, he can motivate and he wants to be here. He knows everything to know about this program and what it would take and he still wants that kick in the teeth. We actually get in depth answers to questions in interviews and not ra-ra horse shhh...er crap (sorry harry).

He pretty much is your wish list embodied if you give him the benefit of the doubt that he's never had much control here. The only thing we don't know is his recruiting. But the man has been chomping at the bit and he's hungry. He'll get an offer to be a HC somewhere and if it's not here, mark my words. Quote me. Save my post. I think UNT and us here on the boards will regret it. And if i'm wrong i'll eat all the crow you can dish.

Now all that being said:

- His contract should be three years

-To get an extension he needs an entrance to a bowl game at least once

-He needs to fire cosh

I know we are all keyboard coaching experts, but college football hiring isn't as formulaic as you try and make it. It's a crapshoot, there are 1,000,000,000 reasons why it could all go wrong even if we hire the "right" guy. At least we'd be gambling on someone who gives as much of a damn about North Texas as we do.

(Preparing for downvotes sir!)

Iv5o0HU.gif

No downvotes from me, but I completely disagree.   "Cares about this program" should only pertain to their job.  Ideally, we would like a coach who "cares about this program" to the tune of a stepping stone to a P5 opening.   Think Herman "cares about Houston's program"?  Of course!  ...until he gets a better offer from a P5 school somewhere.

And I don't think Chico's kind of "affordable" is the kind of "affordable" we should be going after.

• Upvote 1

Does it not? Is that why the offense exploded after dodge left by 17 points per game?

Get back to me  when you tell me how good those teams were he played. Dodge's teams only allowed 35 points max in the first 7 seven games including Clemson. Those first 7 were much tougher than what Canales faced.  ( I am not a Dodge fan either ) Canales in his five games gave up 41, 49, and 49 in his three loses. 

WKY was the Conference whipping boy that year and you might want to remember KS that year had the worst run defense in D1a and who did we have? What was that, a guy named Lance? Yeah there it is. 

If Canales was any good he would have left here long ago.  This is his 6th season BTW.  Or he really likes being handcuffed.