UNT athletic director under fire

Coach Andy Mac

Villarreal appears to have retained the support of Smatresk, who took the reins of the university in February 2014, despite declining the athletic director’s request for a public vote of confidence, according to officials at the school who requested anonymity.

10474930_1438181936449466_1492-55812dc36

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

The most important and infuriating part of that article is that RV will be picking the next head football coach. 

This assures that we will suck for another 5 years and a new AD will be suck raising buy out money for another failed RV hire.

Its becoming a really expensive friendship for the 17...

And seriously, dies RV do anything besides talk to the media?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

“One-and-a-half years ago, when we were playing in a New Year’s bowl game no one was calling the athletic director saying ‘great job.’ You understand for most of the time what you’re going to get is the downside. That’s just part of the business.”

I guess now we should call and thank people for doing their job at an acceptable level... I bought a soda at QuikTrip earlier the clerk rang me up and smiled, I'll call tomorrow to say 'Great Job'.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/football/article41992233.html#storylink=cpy
  • Upvote 3

CUSA is headquartered in Dallas. If there was anything close to a viable metroplex team, CUSA was buying. 

We were a default. And one year later, it became just slightly better than the conference we just left. CUSA even took a start up and a FCS move up. I mean, better than the Belt?

RV should be working his ass off to get us in the Mountain West. Instead, he sits back and views something slightly better than the Belt as his crowning jewel. 

Pretty amazing. 

We just had to be FBS to get into CUSA under the circumstances we did. Didn't even have to be a good program at all, even though we should be.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sick of seeing the 17 referred to as apologists. My hope and my trust is that they (the 17) will make sure whoever succeeds Rick Villarreal is the best candidate for the job and someone they can continue to be happy with. And, that they will give him the same or better resources that they gave Rick.

They are not stupid individuals, they understand that Rick Villarreal will not be around forever.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I'm pretty sick of seeing the 17 referred to as apologists. My hope and my trust is that they (the 17) will make sure whoever succeeds Rick Villarreal is the best candidate for the job and someone they can continue to be happy with. And, that they will give him the same or better resources that they gave Rick.

They are not stupid individuals, they understand that Rick Villarreal will not be around forever.

I think you underestimate the power of personal manipulation. 

I don't think they all think the same way of RV, but what is clear is the majority support him.

Otherwise he would have been fired along with DMac right after the worst loss in college football history. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1