Another Banner or billboard?

UNT90

After Saturday, I am considering asking for additional donations. Several have brought up billboards in Denton as a better and longer duration  for the money option.

Id like thoughts on this. Banner or billboards? 

I will support either one, but my preference is a billboard. Smatresk doesn't get it yet. This isn't just an outspoken minority. Most Mean Green fans are tired of RV producing more excuses than wins.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I will support either one, but my preference is a billboard. Smatresk doesn't get it yet. This isn't just an outspoken minority. Most Mean Green fans are tired of RV producing more excuses than wins.

I'm a finance guy; all I know about outdoor advertising you could put on the head of a pin. But I have a couple of ideas, which curiously came to me while watching "Ancient Aliens". Please allow me to throw these out for discussion; no pride of authorship, feel free to tear me a new one.

1.  Billboard:

Green Light To Greatness

Red Light To Athletic Mediocrity

FireRickV.Com

2. Magnetic Signs:

I have no idea how expensive those magnetic signs are that people slap on their car doors. If they are economical in quantity, we could get them on a few cars and they would get wide exposure by as many people that would do it.

Further affiant sayeth not. Criticize at will!

ADDITION: re: Billboard, I suspected the phrase Greenlight to Greatness would be copyrighted. Have to come up with a variation to avoid "issues".

Edited by EagleMBA
add text
  • Upvote 2

Count me in. The RV and Smatresk comments from the latest article in the Daily are more then I can stand. If the banner doesn't get the job done, I'll fork over some cash for a billboard. UNT90, I'll PM you.

My personal suggestions...

No digital billboard. Also the billboard should call out Smatresk to do his job and remove RV. Twitter, Facebook, and/or a fireRV website should also be included. If the billboard was located near the campus off of 35E it would be ideal.

Count me in too.  You will get at least 50% of the money I would have spent on tickets for the 2017 season.  

I am in, do the billboard? Is it a video board or just a sign? 

you don't want to do video. actual static is the way to go. 

I'm thinking FireRV.com will be on the billboard. Also, maybe the billboard will be school colors. Probably can't use a school logo. 

I was thinking of having the billboards go up the Friday before the UTEP game.

If a board is available expect at least a 30day turn for production and placement.  Don't use more than 8 words in your message. 

You could also do posters a la annual football poster/schedule and see how many local businesses would let you post. Pretty low cost and quite newsworthy once up.

Are you referring to RV's contract I was informed it has 16 months left going on 15. Is that wrong?

At first:

DRC: Villarreal’s deal includes bonuses, incentives

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal will receive a base salary of $275,000 with an annual $100,000 retention bonus and a $7,200 car allowance beginning on Sept. 1, 2013, under terms of his new contract that will run through Feb. 28, 2017.

But then:

DRC: Villarreal has additional year on contract

Villarreal’s latest extension adds a year to his contract, which now runs through Feb. 28, 2018.

That is freaking insane, RV should not get two more days let alone nearly 2 1/2 years.

That is two f'ing long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UNT administration doesn't care. Plain and simple. 

They are going to be shocked at the amount of alumni giving they lose from this point forward

Nah, it won't shock them at all...all they care about is getting enrolled students and providing a "valued" education. The rest doesn't matter to them at all. The only reason they offer athletics here is because they think they are supposed to do it, just like an spare school district would.

This place has never cared about alumni giving--that's why the endowment is ridiculously low.

It is what it is...we all just didn't go to a school that cares about winning in athletics. The fast most of us come to this realization, the faster you can come to grips with the situation that we are given by the BOR and administration.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How about just making it real simple:

"This man has lead UNT athletics for the last 15 years"

"FireRV.com"

Then under the 2 captions have that pic posted here that shows RV with his hands out.

The entire metroplex associates UNT athletics with major suckage. They'll understand when they see the billboard.

• Upvote 1