NT Daily Article: Attendance on the decline in 3 major sports

MGNation92

To add insult to injury, Smatresk essentially agrees with RV in that the voices of displeasure are not "truly representative" of the masses. 

So much for Smatresk being our last hope. 

http://ntdaily.com/attendance-on-the-decline-in-major-sports-at-north-texas/

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I didn't read Smatresk's comments the same way. It feels like he is saying what he has to. He didn't seem to have the same tone as RV, who seemed to write off the issues. I feel like he is not throwing RV under the bus, but hasn't openly supported him either. He is playing a political game here and I hope that we don't force his hand this weekend.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

I didn't read Smatresk's comments the same way. It feels like he is saying what he has to. He didn't seem to have the same tone as RV, who seemed to write off the issues. I feel like he is not throwing RV under the bus, but hasn't openly supported him either. He is playing a political game here and I hope that we don't force his hand this weekend.

Tact.   Some are using it.   Some are not.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Agree, with this the most interesting quote.

“I don’t blame people for leaving after that kind of performance,” Smatresk said. “Would I like to see better and more? Yes. Do I hope good fans will find reason to be hopeful now? Yes I do. But those things will come in time, and there’s a timing for all the things that are happening here.”

But then he also said this

“Just because there’s a human cry, doesn’t mean that’s a truly representative view,” Smatresk said.

• Upvote 4

“Do I worry about the decline? I think the decline happens at every institution when you don’t win as many games,” Villarreal said. “But I think there is a lot of positive talk about basketball right now.”

What? From who? After basketball tanks it'll be "well, basketball hasn't gone the way we had hoped but there's a lot of buzz for the new football coach who is going to turn this program around."

• Upvote 7

Never have I seen the demands to have him removed been at the levels they are now.  Likewise, I have never seen papers and media call for the removal of our AD like they have been this past month.   To ignore that is really poor on the part of our President and our AD. I am getting REAL tired of hearing this as the minority view. The lack of crowds in the stands seems to be an obvious vote for new direction.  

I will stay in tuned to what is going on in the program, but outside of that I am not going to give a dime until real change happens from the top.

• Upvote 7

I know that there are incentives written into contracts to pay staff (in particular coaches and AD's) more when they are more successful, but don't we also write in penalties (like getting fired) for when the program loses money and other support from alumni/students/fans? 

If not, then here we have another example of why our athletic programs have been a joke for the last (insert your favorite number) years. Bone headed administrators.

• Upvote 2

RV is such a joke and full of excuses.

I'm not going to another home game this season after that homecoming disaster. Right now home games for the remaining season should be free admission and free beer.

That would require some marketing ability. 

If the quotes in this article frustrate you, comment on the article. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Heopfully, Smatresk will make the final call when the HC hire is made. That way, he can just let RV run through his contract and save the university some cash. Benford isn't going anywhere either this year. He's thinking he may as well just ride out the next year with RV?

• Downvote 1

The message I got from RV and Smatresk was they are dropping the gauntlet, smirking at the fan base, and loudly saying "Bring it! You want a piece of me?". Disgusting, particularly from Smatresk. Looks like I misjudged him.

April. I'm making my decision to continue support or not in April

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Look, it's time we realize that RV is not going anywhere until his contract runs out. RV knows this and is is thumbing his nose at us in the process. Look at the facts:

1. Declining attendance in the 3 revenue sports is not the tipping point.

2. Deplorable coaching record in the 3 revenue sports is not the tipping point.

3. Terrible MGC numbers that don't even approach stated department goals is not the tipping point.

4. Hiring Dodge, Stephens, Petersen, McCarney, Benford is not the tipping point.

5. Terrible scheduling is not the tipping point.

I'm not sure RV would be so bold in his characterization of the "minority" unless he has been emboldened by an under the table "vote of confidence" from Smatresk. If that's the case then prepare for 28 more months of the same. This is the first year that I have not been to a game since 1994. Sadly this is becoming a trend. 

• Upvote 3

"The reality is, it’s a minute few who are very loud,” Villarreal said. “If there was a concern of what was going on in the program right now, I don’t think people would be writing million dollar checks. I don’t think people would be buying club level seats and doing those things in season."

I think Rick is confusing "concern" as equal with "a minute few who are very loud".   He's very correct about there being only a "minute few who are very loud"...  
However, attendance issues (or just general apathy) should VERY MUCH be a cause for "concern", because there is an overwhelming majority there.  Just because people aren't leaving kicking & screaming doesn't mean they're not leaving.

“I think there is a lot of positive talk about basketball right now.”

steve-harvey-o.gif?red=pr

• Upvote 6