What's the big obsession with Fritz?

cdizzle86

If Fritz is hired, does RV's leash get a little longer?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. If Fritz is hired, does RV's leash get a little longer?

• Yes
    • No

He will probably land a much better G5 or lower level P5 job this time around unless he wants to hold out for a big P5 job in a year or two.

RV has already stated what he wants. After DD he wanted an offensive coach and we got Dodge, some headlines and not much else. Then he wanted a defensive minded coach with head coaching experience thus Mac. He has gone on record stating he wants a young offensive minded coach this time. Look for him to interview G5 offensive coordinators, P5 offensive position coaches, and 1 or 2 minority candidates to appease the toothless NCAA mandate.

I don't see how you think UNT isn't a good job in its current state in comparison to Ga Southern or most G5 programs for that matter. If UNT and the administration chose they could triple his current salary and the facilities at UNT are far superior than they are at Ga Southern. I personally wouldn't spend that kind of money on him, but I would assume it's there if they wanted to. 

No I wasn't. 

I just don't think Fritz brings what we currently need. We need someone with REAL name recognition. Todd Dodge didn't fit that bill either. Dan Mccarney had name recognition, but for only the 35 year old recruits. Too bad those don't exist. 

Ok. Agree to disagree, apparently. 

I definitely disagree.

Would you rather have REAL name recognition, or someone who knows how to win? Would you say McCarney had better name recognition than Fritz? How'd that turn out?

In the interest of full disclosure I got my undergrad at SHSU and I've been a Fritz fan for a long time. I think he would be a home run here. 

• Upvote 4

So wait a minute, since Fritz is your guy, if RV were to somehow money-whip Fritz and get him here, would you be happy with Rick for making that hire?

RV won't hire Fritz. I doubt Fritz would ever work for RV and I know RV is incapable of convincing Fritz to come here. 

If we fired RV, we would have a shot at Fritz, and possibly the AD at Georgia Southern. The fact that the AD had the foresight to hire Fritz should make him an immediate candidate for RV's job. 

So I won't even address silly hypotheticals that won't happen. 

RV will con Smatresk into hiring who RV wants. The Hattiesburg Hustler hustles. It is his biggest talent. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

RV won't hire Fritz. I doubt Fritz would ever work for RV and I know RV is incapable of convincing Fritz to come here. 

If we fired RV, we would have a shot at Fritz, and possibly the AD at Georgia Southern. The fact that the AD had the foresight to hire Fritz should make him an immediate candidate for RV's job. 

RV will con Smatresk into hiring who RV wants. The Hattiesburg Histler hustles. It is his biggest talent. 

was the "i" or the "s" the typo? 

• Upvote 4

The silence is deafening.  We're waiting - if RV gets Fritz do you jump for RV joy?  Great question.

GMG

I'll put my money where my mouth is. I will  write RV a letter of apology for the banner and praise him for bringing in a coach who has consistently shown the ability to win. I will join the MGC and buy season tickets (which I have never done). 

Here's the thing - as I have said several times - I don't think Fritz is coming. It is far too lateral of a move. If you look at his career, it just isn't something he does. I would love to get him here, but very strongly doubt it happens. 

• Upvote 1

RV will con Smatresk into hiring who RV wants. The Hattiesburg Hustler hustles. It is his biggest talent. 

Dumbest thing you've ever posted. Look, I think RV should go, but him being our current AD has little to do with our chances of landing Fritz.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I don't see how you think UNT isn't a good job in its current state in comparison to Ga Southern or most G5 programs for that matter. If UNT and the administration chose they could triple his current salary and the facilities at UNT are far superior than they are at Ga Southern. I personally wouldn't spend that kind of money on him, but I would assume it's there if they wanted to. 

Yes, we have one of the best G5 stadiums in the country but UNT is just not as attractive as other jobs right now. Fritz makes roughly $400K now so we could certainly approach tripling his salary which would make this job much more attractive to him. If we offered in the $1 million range he might consider the job but there are other schools out there that can offer him more in terms of salary. 

Dumbest thing you've ever posted. Look, I think RV should go, but him being our current AD has little to do with our chances of landing Fritz.

Really? He is always on the sidelines wanting to be the coach. He has made this job a coaching graveyard. Like others have said, it will be extremely hard to get Fritz to come here. Having the architect of a coaching graveyard will absolutely affect whether a candidate like Fritz comes here or not.

Will it affect a 34 year old's coordinator's decision? Of course not.

But that isn't who Willie Fritz is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

lamot-tap-dancing-o.gif

Lovely dancing skills sir.

I would still like to hear your answer though, in more of a 'yes' or 'no' format.

now this is the kind of outside-the-box thinking we need here...see if we can capitalize on the accomplishments of UNT's successful jazz program and get them to translate to the football field. I know that'd make me feel so good

If only Mangione could then make RV go to the hill where the Lord hides as a condition of his contract.

apogee stadium and the facilities are not as big as a recruiting advantage as this fanbase and administration thinks.  It can break a tie vs a school with a stadium like fouts, but it isn't a deciding factor at all.

I don't get the obsession with Fritz either. Like a lot of people, I don't think he would leave Ga. Southern for NT. I think the two best candidates are Chris Tomesen 

http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=207911673

and Colby Carthel

http://lionathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2

If you want to get some sort of idea about how well Carthel can compete against other experienced coaches, check out the results of this week-ends game against SHSU and this coach.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92959&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=209384109&Q_SEASON=2015

Keelers team gave Texas Tech all they wanted in the first game of the season. 

I don't see any downside to Tomesen. He played football for TCU, was the head coach at Abilene Christian where he took them far into the playoffs several times, and he was the head coach for one game at Texas Tech where they won a bowl game. While he was at Abilene Christian he ran a real wide open offense.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, we have one of the best G5 stadiums in the country but UNT is just not as attractive as other jobs right now. Fritz makes roughly $400K now so we could certainly approach tripling his salary which would make this job much more attractive to him. If we offered in the $1 million range he might consider the job but there are other schools out there that can offer him more in terms of salary. 

Where are we getting this?  I could see us going above $800k, with incentives such as a bowl win and top 25 ranking to potentially bump it above a million.  But I don't see any way we're getting to the $1.2-1.5 million range that we would need to triple Fritz's salary.  Maybe you know something I don't?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Silly man. You think UNT, and especially RV, are incapable of repeating past mistakes. 

Cute.

He is already on record saying this is what he is going to do (that statement alone should have fans quaking in their boots). 

This wont end well. 

RV Has a framed picture of Dodge in his office, with the wording "Never Forget" Engraved on the frame

xxx_4859_46566589.jpg?w=1000&h=593

Is Willie Fritz the type head coach North Texas needs to hire.  YES

If Willie Fritz was still the head coach at Sam Houston I feel that North Texas would have a very good chance of hiring him as the next HC at UNT.  But with Fritz being at Georgia Southern, I just do not see him having any interest in the UNT job.  This has nothing do with facilities, salary, or anything else except timing of when the North Texas job came open in the case of Willie Fritz

• Upvote 2

They don't have the money to do that. They have a 22,000 seat stadium and are located in the middle of nowhere.

Hypothetical thought here. If I had a coach I wanted to retain and I didn't have the money to get into a bidding war for his services, I would have loaded his contract with as many poison pills as possible for someone who came along and wanted to gobble him up. As many gotchas as I could negotiate.

• Upvote 1