UH, UC, TU, BGU, how?

Wag Tag

How does Houston, Cincy, Tulsa, Bowling Green hit on coaches? When they make the hire they are not usually big names, but they have a number of successes that move to the next level!

You guys just don't understand vision. 

I mean, have you seen their facilities? Something tells me that's the only reason why they can hire good coaches

How does Houston, Cincy, Tulsa, Bowling Green hit on coaches? When they make the hire they are not usually big names, but they have a number of successes that move to the next level!

Is it a statistical issue like Baseball has become?

All of them have had recent success in football, as well as having some deep pocketed alumni--at least at UH, Cincy, and Tulsa, anyway. As for Bowling Green, I don't have a clue on they or any other non-descript MAC team finds success the way they do.

But I'd venture a guess on all of them that football and basketball are the primary windows to the university. None of them treat those sports as if they just need to roll them out there like some spare ISD would--or as North Texas has for decades...

• Upvote 4

Could it be folks responsible for hiring coaches?

Oh, you mean the committees? Or the past university presidents? 

Because if you ask RV, he will tell you it is these peoples' fault. 

Dont believe me? Just ask him. Or one of the posters who received letters from him. 

He takes zero accountability. Why would he? There are zero repercussions. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

should I link the article?

Would disagree on UH. Recently read a Houston Press article about UH's attendance woes and the comments were scarily familiar. I think it's simply because they win.

Guys we should not be arguing in this particular thread about how bad RV is.    Getting into the weeds of comparing our program to any one of the 100+ programs more successful than ours over the last 14 years is a pointless exercise.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Downvote 1

comments look pretty similar. How many times do I have to tell you, meat loaf, that I have many connections to UH and don't mind them at all?

John Royal is known for using misleading photos Ryan. You already know I'm the wrong guy to go toe to toe with when it comes to stuff like this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I wasn't talking about the photo, meat loaf. I was talking about the comments. Which are the same comments you hear about UNT.

Comments about competition for attention, commuter school apathy, give the money elsewhere, etc.

UH gets bigger name coaches because they win; and we don't. Pretty simple. If UH had been as miserable as us for the last 40 years they'd be in the same position as UNT. 

The people that read the Houston Press would make those kinds of comments. Go read the comments on their Facebook page.  Night and day.

Well for Herman, 1.35 million dollars a year might have a little something to do with it. 

Bingo! We have a winner!!!!

I hate to say it, but Cougar King has been more than fair to us this season. U of H is a quality program and may run the table this year to an American Conference Championship. We on the other hand are in a hole and with luck have stopped digging ourselves deeper.

I am sure Cougar supporters would like more participation/attendance but Houston is a huge city with lots of options for entertainment dollars. I would think that the school would do more to advertise their success, but as a resident of the Houston area I just don't see any Pro-Cougar love.

Not much of that really matters. The Cougars are taking care of business on the road and at home.

We don't do it anywhere.

Now Cougar King can go back to his trolling from his mom's house with a smile on his face.

• Upvote 2

Would disagree on UH. Recently read a Houston Press article about UH's attendance woes and the comments were scarily familiar. I think it's simply because they win.

Yes don't want to pile on but really?  The record attendance at UH's stadium was set August 29, 2014.  40,700.  A sellout would be 30,850 at Apogee.  And maybe someone from the older generation can verify but I don't believe UNT, NTSU has ever had a sellout for FBS football at Fouts either.  I highly doubt UNT has ever broke the 30,000 barrier at any home venue including the games played at Texas Stadium.

• Downvote 1

I don't know about the other schools, but at UH at least part of it is assistants.  Briles had some very good assistants, especially after the AD forced out the bad ones.  Sumlin and Herman also had several great assistants.  The one failed coach had pretty poor assistants other than the one DC and OC for 1 season. 

So paying the head coach is important, but getting and paying good assistants is right up there.

• Upvote 2