Next HC Salary??

untjim1995

Since we just bought out the richest contract in the history of the school, costing us $2.1 million or so, what salary do you think the next head coach will get?  If DMac got $700k per year, basically, will we stay in that range still or go lower because we aren't hiring an older, more experienced head coach like we did with DMac? Or do we go higher, like $750k or more? Can we even afford to do that after that buyout? And how does Benford's contract year (basically) also factor into this all, since he would have a year left to be bought out if he gets canned after this season at $325k?

I guess the answer to that question goes to how the buyout is being funded--was it from the donors, the university itself, or both? If the BMDs covered it, then I think the salary we will pay probably won't go down. If the university paid it in full, I believe it will drop down to the $500k range, if not further. Either way, it will be interesting to see. It really surprised me that we bought McCarney out, but I'm sure glad it happened after that loss, just to send the message that this is unacceptable in every way imaginable. It will be interesting to see if and how that impacts the next hire. An assistant coach like a Chris Thomsen or a Sonny Cumbie might be available at a $500k salary, just because of never having been a head coach at this level, and especially if it helps to attain better coordinators and other assistant coaches because the coaching salary pool would be higher if the head coach takes less.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No way we go down in salary. If we pay in the $500K range we will get what we pay for and we will deserve it. We need to be around 1 million or we will continue down the path we have been on. This hire is way too important to get cheap and we cannot look at other potential buyouts(MBB coach or AD) when deciding on the pay range. This hire needs to stand on its own.

It needs to be at least $1 million.  We need to at least get to half of what SMU pays to stay competitive both in the area and in the broader hierarchy of college football.  Ideally I would like to see us match or surpass UL-Lafayette's $1.1 million (or thereabout) that they pay to Mark Hudspeth.  We need to emphasize the perception that we are at a higher prestige level than any Sun Belt school.  

I know there are plenty examples of mid-major programs that accomplish far more with less, but we don't seem to ever have the vision that they do.  Therefore, we must be prepared to throw down the big bucks. 

• Upvote 1

Can we even afford to do that after that buyout?

RV made a comment on Harry and Evan's podcast that the buyout would not affect what we would be able to offer the next coaching staff in terms of salary.  That's a little bit of a headscratcher, as our funds are clearly finite.  There is also talk here about buying out RV's and Benford's contracts on top of Coach Mac's.  I'd have to think such things would cripple us as to what we could offer the next coaching staff.  If not, then RV deserves tremendous kudos for getting us to a financial place inconceivable just a few years ago.  Maybe even bringing us to a place to enable his firing before his contract is up.

The comp won't ever go down -- that is just plain dumb.

It will most definitely go up but the question how much.  Personally I could envision a scenario where more of the increase is on the assistant side than you see on the HC.

I do agree with everyone else, that we really need to get the HC range in the 1 million dollar area which is less than half of what SMU pays.

It is going to be really interesting to see how this comp picture plays out.  We took a big step in the right direction with Mac.  Will we continue that trend or go back to our old ways of sticking to conference market value?  I also think it will depend on the candidate.  If it is their 1st choice they may pay more. If it turns out to be 3-4 maybe less.

It will most definitely go up but the question how much.  Personally I could envision a scenario where more of the increase is on the assistant side than you see on the HC.

I do agree with everyone else, that we really need to get the HC range in the 1 million dollar area which is less than half of what SMU pays.

It is going to be really interesting to see how this comp picture plays out.  We took a big step in the right direction with Mac.  Will we continue that trend or go back to our old ways of sticking to conference market value?  I also think it will depend on the candidate.  If it is their 1st choice they may pay more. If it turns out to be 3-4 maybe less.

Fritz is that top choice. Let's see if they can make him jump. Back up the dump truck full of cash for him and his staff. Roll out the green carpet  

• Upvote 1

RV made a comment on Harry and Evan's podcast that the buyout would not affect what we would be able to offer the next coaching staff in terms of salary.  That's a little bit of a headscratcher, as our funds are clearly finite.  There is also talk here about buying out RV's and Benford's contracts on top of Coach Mac's.  I'd have to think such things would cripple us as to what we could offer the next coaching staff.  If not, then RV deserves tremendous kudos for getting us to a financial place inconceivable just a few years ago.  Maybe even bringing us to a place to enable his firing before his contract is up.

I'm sure Ernie and some others are paying a large sum to pay Mac's buyout. That's why it doesn't affect the budget for future coach pay.

You would think at some point in time they would get tired of paying for RV's mistakes.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

This brings up a really interesting issue.  In a lot of industries, you would want to get your candidate for as little pay as possible--or so I would imagine for many lines of work.  But, college football is just a different animal where perception tends to rule.  I could make a case (though I wouldn't necessarily make it) that even a 3rd or 4th choice needs to make $1 million+.  Perception in college football largely dictates recruiting, rankings, conference invitations, scheduling, etc.--in other words, all the things we haven't been very good at in recent decades.  Whether fair or not, I feel like head coach pay (and to a lesser extent assistant compensation) is one major barometer of the overall health and support for a program.  It also goes a long way toward establishing the pecking order of who can hire away from whom.  

• Upvote 2

I hope that whatever the salary is there will be a buyout clause should our new HC get poached by a big boy - 100% of a years salary back to UNT plus a % for each additional year left on a contract capping it at maybe $1.8-$2MM. If we get it right and we become a springboard at least we'll get paid for our troubles. 

Id also be very pro a heavily incentivized contract based on grades and wins. 

• Upvote 1

Foolish, you pay the lowest amount you can hire a particular coach for.  If he is successful than you can more likely afford increases, if he is not then you limit your exposure to big buyouts.  I had much rather NT be in a position that people marvel at what a bargain they got versus NT blew it again with giving x dollars to that loser.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I don't know what do believe when it comes to this subject.  I see the empty seat at all the venue and I know MGC membership is declining so I don't know how this salary is going to get paid.  The 17 and honorable mention BMDs have deeper pockets than I ever dreamed of if that is the case.  So if their pockets are that deep and they want to keep RV around let them.  A broken clock is right 2 times a day.  I don't buy it so I see they pay 650k with easy to hit incentives to get it to 750k and hard to reach goals getting it to 950k or more.  97and03 stole my thunder in a simple comment as I was writting this. lol