#UTSAHateWeek

aztecskin

I hate them because we should've won the conference in 2013 and they kept us from doing so. I also hate them because Zac Whitfield went full retard against them last year and ruined a potential tying score. We should beat them up and down the field and yet we always seem to shoot ourselves in the foot against them.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I hate them because we should've won the conference in 2013 and they kept us from doing so. I also hate them because Zac Whitfield went full retard against them last year and ruined a potential tying score. We should beat them up and down the field and yet we always seem to shoot ourselves in the foot against them.

this.  One of the things that I didn't like about Mac was I don't think he ever understood the importance of this game to the alumni.

• Upvote 3

While watching the Marshall game this weekend, in a break between Hallo'een movie-time, I remembered that we play UTSA this week. We've never had a rival that is anything like I imagined one would be when I was a kid. When I agreed to be a Mean Green Fightin' Eagle upon entering college, I was slightly disappointed to learn that EA's series listed our 'rival' as (at various times) Arky St, NMState, MTSU. The latest iterations include SMU on that list. Anyway, they always say "throw the records out, all that matters is if you beat your rival" when talking about other schools so I figure we should play along. I leaned over and asked The Woman for reasons to hate* UTSA

*sports hate, of course.

In no particular order: 

- They gloated in our stadium

- They are newer and think they are better; and maybe are better

- They don't play on campus. Gross.

- They have bandwagon fans while we have die-hard ones. Just look at this, we are bloggin' and 'boardin' about our 0-7 team. We are in it for the long-haul. 

- They are UT's little brother

- Their mascot can't fly

- I'll add to this the fact that our worst fans may be raycess, crass, boorish, annoying, and generally awful but gottdammit we are are funny. Funny goes a long way. Their worst twitter people are funny if you are a Rome Clone, twitter joke biter, Mr. Me-too, 7th grader. So not funny at all. 

BEST One by far!!! Haha Might as well be the UTSA Ostriches

• Upvote 1

UNT Rivalries run like this:

To those of us who graduate before 2012 that are on gmg.com--SMU

Some of whom have graduated after 2012 and are on gmg.com: UTSA

To the rest of the UNT alumni, students, faculty, administration, and local citizenry: apathy or actually having UNT Athletics exist

• Upvote 3

I'm imagining replacing the image of Goldstein with Larry Coker, and then at the end, replace the INGSOC flag with the NT battle flag and the music replaced with "Glory to the Green".  And maybe, replace the burning building with some "lowlights" of the game two years ago...

• Upvote 1

UNT Rivalries run like this:

To those of us who graduate before 2012 that are on gmg.com--SMU

Some of whom have graduated after 2012 and are on gmg.com: UTSA

To the rest of the UNT alumni, students, faculty, administration, and local citizenry: apathy or actually having UNT Athletics exist

I graduated in 2010, but never had *hate* for SMU. Maybe because I didn't grow up in DFW? 

• Upvote 2

I graduated in 2010, but never had *hate* for SMU. Maybe because I didn't grow up in DFW? 

Yeah, that SMU hate gets into you real quick in Denton, just because of the history of them getting all the benefits from their SWC connections and keeping us out of their club. But, in reality, the bigger issue with that was that when the SWC dream got crushed, it forced Hayden Fry to realize that big time football would never get to Denton anytime soon, so he left for Iowa, and the rest of the university's leadership basically tried to euthanize the program with what followed afterwards. It was about as much of a pure give-up as you can make without purely giving up. It killed off generations of real or potential fans for decades--and it still haunts us to this day in so many ways.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that SMU hate gets into you real quick in Denton, just because of the history of them getting all the benefits from their SWC connections and keeping us out of their club. But, in reality, the bigger issue with that was that when the SWC dream got crushed, it forced Hayden Fry to realize that big time football would never get to Denton anytime soon, so he left for Iowa, and the rest of the university's leadership basically tried to euthanize the program with what followed afterwards. It was about as much of a pure give-up as you can make without purely giving up. It killed off generations of real or potential fans for decades--and it still haunts us to this day in so many ways.

Yah I get it intellectually, but even the loss this season ( and the one in 2007 ) to SMoo felt more one-sided. Like we care but not too many of them care. The one to UTSA hurt more, which I think is a main ingredient. I've seen lots of losses in Denton. That one hurt the most. The opportunity, the situation, the opponent. 

If we had won the last two years, UTSA wouldn't have felt it. They operate with that "hey we are just happy to be here!" when they lose "when you consider the program's progress you have to be impressed etc etc". Now we just have to ruin their season (they suck this year and probably will next year, so some other season) and we can return the favor. 

Yah I get it intellectually, but even the loss this season ( and the one in 2007 ) to SMoo felt more one-sided. Like we care but not too many of them care. The one to UTSA hurt more, which I think is a main ingredient. I've seen lots of losses in Denton. That one hurt the most. The opportunity, the situation, the opponent. 

If we had won the last two years, UTSA wouldn't have felt it. They operate with that "hey we are just happy to be here!" when they lose "when you consider the program's progress you have to be impressed etc etc". Now we just have to ruin their season (they suck this year and probably will next year, so some other season) and we can return the favor. 

put aside that i root for both teams, i think this series is facinating. This year utsa is very young and injured, unt is in transition. Next year utsa will older and presumably healthy (soft ooc) & unt their staff issues resolved. I cant wait to watch all this unfold!

• Upvote 3

I despise them because we have not beaten this road-kill offspring of UT. Historically, we own the ditch-digger offspring of UT, but these guys have given us fits. We need to turn around this series with the pollo del camino.

• Upvote 2