TCU Won't Play Us

Mike Jackson

http://www.frogsowar.com/2013/1/20/3893222/frog-abroad-lets-play-the-university-of-north-texas

In this article the writer call UNT a medium size public university.  So even when someone 35 miles down the road from UNT is trying to campaign for it in a positive way even they make UNT smaller than it actually is.   There are well over 125 public universities in USA and we are some where between 25th and 30th largest. (I have consistently heard 25th other places).  So if you were in the top 20% of your graduating class would you call yourself an average student?  If this is how a person that has taken a little time to research UNT as a football program thinks of UNT what do you think recruits think of UNT when they have barely heard of it?

• Upvote 3

Home and home against TCU and smu would would certainly help attendance and recruiting.

Get one more out of conference home game and you've got a decent schedule.

He may have been a little off about our size, but at least he did get our name and location right.

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 6

"UNT is the best jazz school in the nation and their band is fantastic. They don't really do much marching, but just standing there and playing they can put on one heck of a show."

Oh boy, Silvereagle will be all over this!

Compared to other bands they don't put on a big spectacle. They don't have to because they are talented. Which is exactly what he said. I thought he was very complimentary.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

Compared to other bands they don't put on a big spectacle. They don't have to because they are talented. Which is exactly what he said. I thought he was very complimentary.

Yes, that was a side compliment. These are football games, not band concerts. Time and place for everything.

• Upvote 1

well said. And to repeat what I've said many times, their primary job is supposed to be a spirit organization that gets the fans pumped and into the game PRIOR to the game starting.

Everyone knows the Green Brigade Band is, I guess, somewhat mandatory for music majors during their first year or two.  I'm really not sure.  Maybe after the mandatory period being in the band is voluntary.  Members may want to be there others may not and just go through the motions.

And like I've said for years, why not forget about mandatory membership for a grade or a course in being a band director and make the Green Brigade completely "volunteer" spirit band?  No doubt in my mind you would still have some of the very best musicians on campus participating in an integral part of the college game day atmosphere.  Because they really care and want to be a part of the game day experience.

Then fire the friggin band director and get someone else to do it right!

I'd imagine that the band director would get heavier scrutiny here than the head coach of football gets...

As for Saturday game days in Denton, on several occasions, I've had people who are buying tickets in front of me at the ticket gate ask for the best tickets to watch the halftime performance, that they are staying around until the band is finished with its halftime performance.

As we like to say, only at North Texas...

• Upvote 3

Exactly Ryan, Exactly

At least Rice is worth the money. Baylor, TCU, and SMU are way to expensive for what you get. People associated with those three schools see us as less than TTU and on par with SFA, SHSU and perhaps Southwest (I refuse to call SWTS Texas State. Just principal). Their loss. Denton is a great town and and UNT is excellent school for the money.

• Upvote 1

I'd imagine that the band director would get heavier scrutiny here than the head coach of football gets...

As for Saturday game days in Denton, on several occasions, I've had people who are buying tickets in front of me at the ticket gate ask for the best tickets to watch the halftime performance, that they are staying around until the band is finished with its halftime performance.

As we like to say, only at North Texas...

I have no problem with that.  As long as you come in the stadium, you could be there to hear the Star Spangled Banner and go as far as I am concerned.  Whatever floats your boat. 

At least Rice is worth the money. Baylor, TCU, and SMU are way to too expensive for what you get. People associated with those three schools see us as less than TTU and on par with SFA, SHSU and perhaps Southwest (I refuse to call SWTS Texas State. Just principal). Their loss. Denton is a great town and and UNT is excellent school for the money.

Don't talk about the value of our education and then do this.  :)  Sorry, it's Monday and I'm in full blown police mode.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Everyone knows the Green Brigade Band is, I guess, somewhat mandatory for music majors during their first year or two.  I'm really not sure.  Maybe after the mandatory period being in the band is voluntary.  Members may want to be there others may not and just go through the motions.

And like I've said for years, why not forget about mandatory membership for a grade or a course in being a band director and make the Green Brigade completely "volunteer" spirit band?  No doubt in my mind you would still have some of the very best musicians on campus participating in an integral part of the college game day atmosphere.  Because they really care and want to be a part of the game day experience.

It's mandatory two years are for MUTB-SBM students, or in layman, Band Music Ed. That's about 200 students per year. The remainder of the GB's 350+ are kids who want to be there, which is not to say the mandatory students don't.

---

Also, guys, this is a two-year old article we're getting our panties in a wad over...

• Upvote 1

http://www.frogsowar.com/2013/1/20/3893222/frog-abroad-lets-play-the-university-of-north-texas

In this article the writer call UNT a medium size public university.  So even when someone 35 miles down the road from UNT is trying to campaign for it in a positive way even they make UNT smaller than it actually is.   There are well over 125 public universities in USA and we are some where between 25th and 30th largest. (I have consistently heard 25th other places).  So if you were in the top 20% of your graduating class would you call yourself an average student?  If this is how a person that has taken a little time to research UNT as a football program thinks of UNT what do you think recruits think of UNT when they have barely heard of it?

Who gives a shit what this guy says. Not sure why it matters. The articles they write there are a joke. Also, look when the damn thing was written! 

• Downvote 1