Improvement: MGN Recap

aztecskin

Here is my longish immediate reaction.

If you hate clicking links (i feel your pain) here are the essential points: 

1. Wow, defensive improvement! 

2. Wow, we got gashed early though.

3. Wow, Canales really should think about not using empty sets especially after the defense has it figured out. Blitz it and show blitz on it (a sack, an interception on two of the sets)

4. (Wow) MOAR Wilson please. He had only 17 carries but needs 25 at least. 

5. Wow, feels like we abandoned the run too early in drives and that killed many a series. First option should be Wison, second should be Smith keepers on reads, third options should be PA passes. Every bad pass/drive killing combination of plays was a straight drop back or cute play call. 

6. Wow, I feel good about this with reservations about our pass game. We can beat UTSA / UTEP with the 2nd-4th quarter versions of the defense, and a very heavy Wilson / running & play action-centric DaMarcus. 

Edited by aztecskin
  • Upvote 6

Here is my longish immediate reaction.

If you hate clicking links (i feel your pain) here are the essential points: 

1. Wow, defensive improvement! 

2. Wow, we got gashed early though.

3. Wow, Canales really should think about not using empty sets especially after the defense has it figured out. Blitz it and show blitz on it (a sack, an interception on two of the sets)

4. (Wow) MOAR Wilson please. He had only 17 carries but needs 25 at least. 

5. Wow, feels like we abandoned the run too early in drives and that killed many a series. First option should be Wison, second should be Smith keepers on reads, third options should be PA passes. Every bad pass/drive killing combination of plays was a straight drop back or cute play call. 

6. Wow, I feel good about this with reservations about our pass game. We can beat UTSA / UTEP with the 2nd-4th quarter versions of the defense, and a very heavy Wilson / running & play action-centric DaMarcus. 

Wow, it would be nice if not only did our receivers get more open, but it would be even nicer if they would catch more of the passes that hit them in their hands. 

Wow, when that DB intercepted Smith's pass (that bounced off his helmet) and tried to take it back for six, that was a very impressive tackle on Smith's part. He grabbed that guys jersey and would NOT let go. One of the best defensive plays I've seen this year. 

Wow, on that last drive when Ivery got that first 1st down run, who ran out there and cleared the path for him? Mr. Smith. A very impressive play on his part.

Wow, it would be nice if not only did our receivers get more open, but it would be even nicer if they would catch more of the passes that hit them in their hands. 

Wow, when that DB intercepted Smith's pass (that bounced off his helmet) and tried to take it back for six, that was a very impressive tackle on Smith's part. He grabbed that guys jersey and would NOT let go. One of the best defensive plays I've seen this year. 

Wow, on that last drive when Ivery got that first 1st down run, who ran out there and cleared the path for him? Mr. Smith. A very impressive play on his part.

And WOW, Mr. Orr always comes to play, but yesterday he was down right dominate.

• Upvote 1

We have Marcus Smith and Chris Loving out there running routes so it makes sense that there aren't getting separation but I see your point. Need some of those young speedsters to make plays. 

I, too, noticed Smith making a block. Good stuff. 

I too noticed improvement all the way around. Because we didn't start Smith from the beginning, it seems like we are in fall camp right now with the improvements that we should have already have gone through... Smith gives us a chance to win and that has energized the offense and defense. 

Edited by chrisfisher
  • Upvote 1

I was baffled why we would give up on the run after picking up a couple first downs. It seemed like we'd drive to midfield and then start trying to pass the ball, which would result in a turnover or punt. If we stuck with running the ball with Wilson and Smith, the game would have been a lot closer down the stretch IMO.

I was baffled why we would give up on the run after picking up a couple first downs. It seemed like we'd drive to midfield and then start trying to pass the ball, which would result in a turnover or punt. If we stuck with running the ball with Wilson and Smith, the game would have been a lot closer down the stretch IMO.

I get the thinking -- that you take a shot when you are within 40-50 yards. I'd rather have those shots come off of some play-action than just straight drop backs. Smith has to be better hitting his guys, but we didn't help him at all with these play calls. 

Defense made changes.  They played a lot of man coverage most of the game.  Looks like the defense improved, but that was against a young QB.  Should have opened the game with tighter coverage going in, if we knew the QB was young, but seems like the adjustments came too late.  

It starts with the defensive line. Marshall came out and ran the ball downhill at us. We still gave up 200+ yards, and were gashed repeatedly. When we got those 3-and-outs, they were after a 7-yard loss (weird run play by MU), and then a 8+ yard sack (passing on 1st down). Improvement but with lots of room for more. UTSA can run and they got a dude that can break tackles (Jarveon Williams) so i'm a little worried.

• Upvote 1