Danny Mac curse continues

Harry

So at the tail end of the Marshall broadcast, which was a technical nitemare btw, the broadcaster says "...it's tough to recruit to North Texas." Or something to that effect. I was like -  are you kidding me?!!

Thanks Dan.  Thanks Darrell.  I don't think Todd ever said it to his credit.  But we know this announcer got that from Dano's more recent quote to be sure.  If not, it was probably from reading our beat writer who to his credit is not a paid employee of the athletic department either.

Can we put a clause in the new coaches contract that you will be fined if you ever make that type of quote? How can a guy being paid millions of dollars say something like that when places with less resources prove it clearly isn't true??

And for once I wish people would give our fan base more credit.  To endure the constant criticism from the program's futility itself (1 winning season in 10), not to mention the highest paid employee in the entire system it's a wonder we have any fans at all.

Ugh...sorry just had to vent!

Edited by Harry

So at the tail end of the Marshall broadcast, which was a technical nitemare btw, the broadcaster says "...it's tough to recruit to North Texas." Or something to that effect. I was like -  are you kidding me?!!

Thanks Dan.  Thanks Darrell.  I don't think Todd ever said it to his credit.  But we know this announcer got that from Dano's more recent quote to be sure.  If not, it was probably from reading our beat writer who to his credit is not a paid employee of the athletic department either.

Can we put a clause in the new coaches contract that you will be fined if you ever make that type of quote? How can a guy being paid millions of dollars say something like that when places with less resources prove it clearly isn't true??

And for once I wish people would give our fan base more credit.  To endure the constant criticism from the program's futility itself (1 winning season in 10), not to mention the highest paid employee in the entire system it's a wonder we have any fans at all.

Whoa!!!!.....a public demand for Athletic Directorship accountability from Harry.  

Now we're getting somewhere.

Rick

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 8

Yep. Defeatist attitudes and excuses suck. When you're down you overcome. How can you call yourself a man (or a woman to be PC) if you think or do otherwise. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah I heard that as well. The University ought to sue mac.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

He won 9 games the year before, so obviously it's possible to get the players needed to win in here.

Yes. It meant Mac, rather than sit on his rich ass, needed to get out and work just as hard for better players than Dodge left him. And we now see the results of Macs efforts.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

What's even more sickening is that announcers just automatically assume it's not mac's fault. I mean, how can mac be at fault? He's such a great coach. For after all North Texas just sucks. Mac might have fooled many people about his true character including himself but he didn't fool God and most of us on GOMEANGREEN!

Great coach with one of the worst won/loss records around for a guy with his years in the head coaching game. Wins do count, don't they?

• Upvote 3

The second Mac said that quote at Rudy's I knew he was done. What a chicken shit quote from your head coach. The players, their families, and recruits heard it. And people were shocked the players stopped playing for him.

Agree- I always liked Mac, and when he said this I was really surprised and though that it was the beginning of the end for him.  I think he knew when he said this that HE had not been able to recruit enough talent, so his days at North Texas were numbered.  It's all on you Mac.  

Unfortunately, with the success of local programs like TCU, Baylor and ? SMU, it will be more difficult then ever to recruit to North Texas.  We used to win a precious few of those recruiting battles, but I don't think we will for a long time.  

• Upvote 3

Yeah I heard that as well. The University ought to sue mac.

He was nothing more than a snake oil salesman. A con man. A Fraud!  A thief.  I will never respect him as a coach or a man.

^. 

The old clown did far, far more damage than he did anything else. Then he had the cahonies on his way out to say he's just glad he was able to change the perception of the program. Then to pour salt in the wound, Rick Villarreal had bigger cahonies to publicly say he thinks that Dan Mccarney was a good hire. It's all disgraceful. 

Great coach with one of the worst won/loss records around for a guy with his years in the head coaching game. Wins do count, don't they?

Apparently not to Neal Smastrek. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I never really forgave Dickey for those type statements. Mac had no excuse.    That type of attitude upsets me, too. We won 9 games and a bowl game. The players came. They weren't given the proper development. That's coaching, not recruiting. 

I totally agree. His old school approach to clock control and delayed run plays is dated. The rules have changed and made football more pass friendly. His insistence to only play McNulty meant passing was out of the question. Not to mention our line isn't good enough to dominate anyone enough to ground pound the ball. The one season Mac won he did so with a great defense. Not his offense. 

In the end the simplest way of looking at it is he lost the respect of his players and his football philosophy failed. Then he got frustrated and shot his mouth off publicly. He was a class act when he was fired though.

I hope we hire a young hungry coach.