Watching Baylor ISU 28-0 at start of 2nd Quarter

Harry

I am becoming more convinced that Baylor is going to win the national championship this year.  Obviously they have some good teams left to beat but their offense is - in a word - unbelievable.

I know Kendall Briles is young,  but I think we have to give him our highest consideration...  his knowledge of this offense, his recruiting abilities are impressive.

The doubters will say he's too young, and there are others on that Baylor coaching staff who are running the show.  There may be some truth to that.  That said, his name is Briles -- he was a good college player (signed by UT) and is a key piece to one of the most prolific offenses to ever play in the NCAA. 

He may not be interested in this position, but I would at least put out fliers and sell him on the fact that if he wins here he will be able to land just about any big p5 job in the country.  I would tell him that we would allow him to put together a very experienced staff of college coaches and great recruiters who will help him as he learns to be a great head coach. 

I also am extremely high on Major Applewhite.  Again, he may have better options but I would at least reach out to him and sell this as a great launching pad for his head coaching career.  The reality is that if Tom Hermann gets a bigger gig, they will lure Applewhite to take over.

I know the game the other night for Willy Fritz was just one game, but color me unimpressed.  Yes his record is impressive, but when you dig into his schedule you find out that they REALLY dumb that thing down as Georgia Southern.  I have not looked at his SHSU numbers but keep in mind, that's a different ball game, you get immediate I-A transfers there and there are other things that make winning at that level a lot easier than at FBS.

The other name that I like is Mike Norvell at ASU -- however, he also may be out of reach as he is making 900K as a coordinator there now.  That said, if he wants to be a head coach, perhaps he would give us consideration. 

The exciting thing about this next hire, is that with the right package and support from the ENTIRE administration, we could really transform this program.  We have all of the key pieces in place..gmg

Edited by Harry

More than anything we need someone who can recruit. It's not about the X's and O's it's about the johns and joes.

But you need an offense to recruit to -- the smash mouth thing doesn't work at our level, or even Arkansas at this point in time.  This Baylor offense is so prolific... it attracts the best offensive players and most importantly to UNT the QB position.

I agree Harry. 

If Briles came here and was successful, he would only be here for 3-4 years. Which is perfect. 

For those that say he's gonna wait for the Baylor job when Daddy retires, he still can. Why not make some extra $ and get the coaching resume improved. 

All I would want from him is to stock the team with talent for the next coach. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle

Seeing the excitement around the program that the hiring up a potential up and coming coach (Dodge) generated for the program and how it impacted recruiting for the positive, it seems like that is the model to pursue if you can correct the mistakes that were made in overseeing the building of his staff and oversight of his running of the program.  Your job as an AD is not over as soon as the hire is made.

If you can't trust your AD to do that, then the retread route or hiring the successful coach from a lower level may be the best option.  Neither of these two options will provide a lot of buzz and thus impact recruiting in the short term.

• Upvote 2

Briles would be the splash offensive hire that we saw with Todge, except even moreso and with the college know-how that we never saw with Todd.

Making that kind of hire NOW - especially given the attention that Baylor is getting on a national level - would turn heads towards Denton.

I haven't seen Baylor's offense.  I'll look for highlights on YouTube.

Edited by greenminer

Plus if Briles came here next season, I bet we could finally schedule a home-and-home with a good team in Baylor.

Doubtful.  He won't schedule the school where he played football, where his son played football, and that gave him his first college head coaching job.

Edited by NTXCoog