Positive vs Negative Financial Reinforcement

UNT 90 Grad

This ultimately is a question for the GoFundMe and the like experts out there. 

I think there is a fundamental issue with people that are expressing their frustration with the university for not investing in a new head coach, new AD, etc. by discontinuing investing in the university themselves (dropping out of the Mean Green Club, discontinuing season tickets, etc.).  This mentality reduces what the university can afford to invest.  It's a downward spiral.  

Here's a thought.  If supporters want to see certain actions taken by the university, could crowd sourcing sites be set up to supplement the cost of those actions if taken by a certain date?  For example, for those that would prefer for RV to seek success elsewhere, could a GoFundMe site be set up to cover the costs of getting out of RV's contract but only if RV was released by say 12/31/15?  Then, ensure the university understands the stipulations to receive the funding.   If he wasn't released by that date, no one has to pay their commitments?

Seems like voting with our wallets to support good decisions makes better since than reducing resources needed to make good decisions.  Thoughts?

Bingo

• Upvote 1

Not true. At all.

Why do you and other keep trying to marginalize the majority of this fan base?

They keep trying to goad people into showing their cards. They want money unconditionally, sort of THIS guy's technique:

• Upvote 1

Why do you think that you represent the majority of the fan base? You may represent over half the posters on this board,but you  feed off each other giving the impression that you actually have power.The fact that you think raising $1600 [22 gave an average of $75 each] is significant just shows how delusional you are as regards impacting change.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

Why do you think that you represent the majority of the fan base? You may represent over half the posters on this board,but you  feed off each other giving the impression that you actually have power.The fact that you think raising $1600 [22 gave an average of $75 each] is significant just shows how delusional you are as regards impacting change.

So, wardly, what do you recommend we do? From the sound of it, you insinuate we should grab ankles and accept. 

• Upvote 5

The average money raised per head is not significant. What is significant is the small amount that was required to accomplish the task. You're all delusional if you think that is the maximum effort from this group.

• Upvote 5

The average money raised per head is not significant. What is significant is the small amount that was required to accomplish the task. You're all delusional if you think that is the maximum effort from this group.

Agreed.

• Upvote 3

This ultimately is a question for the GoFundMe and the like experts out there. 

I think there is a fundamental issue with people that are expressing their frustration with the university for not investing in a new head coach, new AD, etc. by discontinuing investing in the university themselves (dropping out of the Mean Green Club, discontinuing season tickets, etc.).  This mentality reduces what the university can afford to invest.  It's a downward spiral.  

Here's a thought.  If supporters want to see certain actions taken by the university, could crowd sourcing sites be set up to supplement the cost of those actions if taken by a certain date?  For example, for those that would prefer for RV to seek success elsewhere, could a GoFundMe site be set up to cover the costs of getting out of RV's contract but only if RV was released by say 12/31/15?  Then, ensure the university understands the stipulations to receive the funding.   If he wasn't released by that date, no one has to pay their commitments?

Seems like voting with our wallets to support good decisions makes better since than reducing resources needed to make good decisions.  Thoughts?

I don't think you quite understand how things operate?

If the school wanted to can RV today it could.  

If it wanted to simply reassign him till his replacement is found..it could.

And if it needed to take as long as a year or two to find his replacement it could.  

ULL operated for 24 months without a permanant AD between June of '05 and June of '07 before hiring David Walker.  Since then ....they have opened an indoor practice facility..completed a $30 million Athletic Center and taken on a $57 Million dollar renovation of Cajun Field..among other money projects including baseball.

They are serious about getting their $hit in gear.  Question is..are we?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

And if it needed to take as long as a year or two to find his replacement it could.  

ULL operated for 24 months without a permanant AD between June of '05 and June of '07 before hiring David Walker.  Since then ....they have opened an indoor practice facility..completed a $30 million Athletic Center and taken on a $57 Million dollar renovation of Cajun Field..among other money projects including baseball.

Rick

This. So much. I visited Lafayette several times living in Shreveport/Bossier How the hell can they do that but we can't?

• Upvote 1

The proRV crowd has thrown around the word "consequences" ..uhhh...like....what? Surely people that are employed by the university that post on here (if there are any) have the good sense to keep their opinions to themselves. Otherwise, what consequences?  Rick Villarreal has single handedly made OUR athletic program in the sports that matter in terms of revenue a joke. We're a joke. We are bad across the board. Not just kind of bad, but non competitive in most games in all 3 sports, WBB, MBB and football. Then people defend the man. The only word I can fathom while reading pro-RV comments is unbelievable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think we can safely assume that the people who donated toward the banner are aware that their collective monetary contributions can't compete with the amounts of some--let's say--"different-minded" big donors.  So, they are voicing their opinion through a public display of words rather that a novelty-sized million dollar check.  

I can totally respect the views of those who oppose flying banner as an effective method.  But, I just don't get this concept that donating massive amounts of money is the ONLY way to prove that your opinion is worthy.  Is UNT a private corporation or a non-profit, public institution?  Let's not disenfranchise all potential fans save for a handful of millionaires and denigrate passionate supporters as being "all talk" when "talk" is their only recourse.  

• Upvote 5

Rick

Hey Rick.   I agree with everything you posted here, none of which seems to tie with my understanding of how things operate.   I never said that the school couldn't take action without specific funding from the fan base.  My comments were toward taking a positive financial angle on showing school leadership where we think things need to go.  It shows a joint commitment to make improvements to our university rather than pulling money away and expecting those tasked with running things to do more with less.  If we show our desire for improvements by reducing our financial support, then the answer to your last question from a fan base perspective is "no".

is this directed at someone specific? Assuming @UNT90.  You might consider specifying when you post or quoting what you are responding to so that you ensure you only piss off the intended people.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The tactics employed by that group are very transparent. Thumb nose, shoot finger, taunt, insult, vague allusions of consequences, etc.. It almost seems coordinated, but I'm not paranoid. IMO the objective is to string this debate out, buy time, and make us weary of the fight so we'll go away. Political tactics, not objective discovery and evaluation of facts.

FACTS = the new F word. How about the new S word -- SOLUTIONS.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1