Vito update on UNT Coaching Search

Harry

One of those people confirmed what was reported earlier today. UNT has moved on from the committee concept. UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal will lead the search. University president Neal Smatresk said today that he has a deep interest in how the search progresses and will also be involved.

Villarreal indicated early on that Smatresk would be involved, so there is no real change there.

read more:  http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/10/coach-search-tidbits-recruiting-note.html/

Read the quick summaries of the coaches background listed here.  Long story short:  None of these guys have the skins on the wall to make recruits take UNT more seriously than other CUSA level programs without the long history of being garbage.  Get ready for a lot of undersized, slow, under recruited players maxing out their potential to get the Mean Green to 4-8 to 6-6.  My friends that isn't even mediocre that is just poor.  SMU, UTSA, Rice, Houston, and Tulsa will our recruit us.  Worse yet the staff will have to fight Sun Belt schools for recruits.  We are a mediocre Sun Belt team went it come to recruiting.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Read the quick summaries of the coaches background listed here.  Long story short:  None of these guys have the skins on the wall to make recruits take UNT more seriously than other CUSA level programs without the long history of being garbage.  Get ready for a lot of undersized, slow, under recruited players maxing out their potential to get the Mean Green to 4-8 to 6-6.  My friends that isn't even mediocre that is just poor.  SMU, UTSA, Rice, Houston, and Tulsa will our recruit us.  Worse yet the staff will have to fight Sun Belt schools for recruits.  We are a mediocre Sun Belt team went it come to recruiting.

As I stated in another thread, there are currently 7 players from WT A&M in the NFL (recruited there when Colby Carthel was an assistant) at the same time there are currently 4 from North Texas. 

Chris Tomsen is currently the OL coach at Arizona State. Here is part of his bio from the ASU site....

"Prior to his first stint at ASU, Thomsen spent the previous seven seasons as head coach of the Division II Abilene Christian Wildcats, From a 4-6 debut in 2005, Thomsen led the Wildcats to a 47-15 record over the final six seasons and six straight trips to the NCAA Division II playoffs. His final record at ACU over seven seasons was 51-21.

Thomsen turned the ACU program into a perennial contender under his watch, winning the Lone Star Conference South Division Coach of the Year award four times. He led the Wildcats to an undefeated regular season in 2010 and twice won 11 games. Between 2006-11 ACU was one of just four programs in the country to have reached the NCAA Division II playoffs, joining Northwest Missouri State, North Alabama and Albany State (Ga.) in that elite category.

Before Thomsen's arrival in 2005, ACU hadn't won a Lone Star Conference championship since 1977 and hadn't won an outright championship since 1973, but Thomsen led ACU to undisputed league crowns in 2008 and 2010, posting perfect regular seasons in both years. For his efforts, Thomsen was voted the LSC South Division Coach of the Year four times in his seven seasons in the league. Known for his high-powered offenses at ACU, Thomsen's tenure is perhaps most famous for the 2008 NCAA Division II playoff game against rival West Texas A&M, when the two teams combined to break 45 NCAA Division II records in a 93-68 Abilene Christian victory. That season, ACU led the NCAA in yards per game (558.8) and points per game (52.3) and scored at least 40 points 11 times and at least 36 points in all 13 contests

In 2007, ACU had one of the nation's most prolific offenses, ranking first in NCAA Division II football in scoring (49.2 ppg), second in total offense (544.8 ypg) and sixth in passing offense (314.0 ypg). The Wildcats also led the nation in fewest sacks allowed (eight in 13 games).

While at ACU, the two-time AFCA Region IV Coach of the Year coached five NFL draft choices (Danieal Manning, 42nd pick, second round by the Chicago Bears in 2006; Johnny Knox, fifth-round pick by the Bears in 2009; Bernard Scott, sixth-round pick by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2009; Clyde Gates, fourth-round pick by the Miami Dolphins in 2011; Daryl Richardson, seventh-round pick by the St. Louis Rams in 2012); an NFL Pro Bowl selection (Knox in 2009), a Harlon Hill Award winner (Scott in 2008), the award that is the NCAA Division II equivalent of the Heisman Trophy; and a Gene Upshaw Award winner (Sam Collins in 2008), signifying the top lineman in NCAA Division II football.

Before becoming the head coach at Abilene Christian, Thomsen served two seasons as offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator for the University of Central Arkansas. He began his coaching career in 1994 as a graduate assistant at ACU before spending two seasons as the offensive line coach and one as 

the defensive line coach. He was named the Wildcats' offensive coordinator in 1998, spending two seasons in that position. After spending one season away from football, he got back into coaching in 2001, spending two years as offensive coordinator at Wichita Falls High School before joining Central Arkansas.

Thomsen played football three seasons (1988-90) and baseball one season (All-America and All-Southwest Conference with 21 home runs and a .373 batting average) at Texas Christian University before being selected in the 17th round of the Major League Baseball Amateur Draft by the Oakland Athletics. He was TCU's Male Athlete of the Year in 1991. Thomsen went on to play for two seasons in Oakland's minor league system. After retiring from baseball, he returned to the college gridiron, playing one season at ACU. He was a First-Team All-Lone Star Conference tight end for the Wildcats, earning Second-Team All-American honors. He earned a Bachelor of Science in criminal justice from TCU in December 1993 and received his master's in secondary education from ACU in 2000."

So it looks like between Chris Tomsen and Colby Carthel, they recruited and coached 12 NFL players. In Tomsen's case they were DRAFT PICKS, not free agents.

Here we have it. Two young, hungry, overachievers with extensive Texas ties, extensive coaching experience in college football, and lots of contacts in the Texas HS coaching ranks. In Colby Carthels case, his daddy, Don Carthel also has extensive contacts in the coaching ranks. 

As much as I like what the Carthels have done at WT and East Texas A&M, Tomsen would probably be the easier one to sell to the North Texas fan base......including the "gang of 17". 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

As I stated in another thread, there are currently 7 players from WT A&M in the NFL (recruited there when Colby Carthel was an assistant) at the same time there are currently 4 from North Texas. 

Chris Tomsen is currently the OL coach at Arizona State. Here is part of his bio from the ASU site....

"Prior to his first stint at ASU, Thomsen spent the previous seven seasons as head coach of the Division II Abilene Christian Wildcats, From a 4-6 debut in 2005, Thomsen led the Wildcats to a 47-15 record over the final six seasons and six straight trips to the NCAA Division II playoffs. His final record at ACU over seven seasons was 51-21.

Thomsen turned the ACU program into a perennial contender under his watch, winning the Lone Star Conference South Division Coach of the Year award four times. He led the Wildcats to an undefeated regular season in 2010 and twice won 11 games. Between 2006-11 ACU was one of just four programs in the country to have reached the NCAA Division II playoffs, joining Northwest Missouri State, North Alabama and Albany State (Ga.) in that elite category.

Before Thomsen's arrival in 2005, ACU hadn't won a Lone Star Conference championship since 1977 and hadn't won an outright championship since 1973, but Thomsen led ACU to undisputed league crowns in 2008 and 2010, posting perfect regular seasons in both years. For his efforts, Thomsen was voted the LSC South Division Coach of the Year four times in his seven seasons in the league. Known for his high-powered offenses at ACU, Thomsen's tenure is perhaps most famous for the 2008 NCAA Division II playoff game against rival West Texas A&M, when the two teams combined to break 45 NCAA Division II records in a 93-68 Abilene Christian victory. That season, ACU led the NCAA in yards per game (558.8) and points per game (52.3) and scored at least 40 points 11 times and at least 36 points in all 13 contests

In 2007, ACU had one of the nation's most prolific offenses, ranking first in NCAA Division II football in scoring (49.2 ppg), second in total offense (544.8 ypg) and sixth in passing offense (314.0 ypg). The Wildcats also led the nation in fewest sacks allowed (eight in 13 games).

While at ACU, the two-time AFCA Region IV Coach of the Year coached five NFL draft choices (Danieal Manning, 42nd pick, second round by the Chicago Bears in 2006; Johnny Knox, fifth-round pick by the Bears in 2009; Bernard Scott, sixth-round pick by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2009; Clyde Gates, fourth-round pick by the Miami Dolphins in 2011; Daryl Richardson, seventh-round pick by the St. Louis Rams in 2012); an NFL Pro Bowl selection (Knox in 2009), a Harlon Hill Award winner (Scott in 2008), the award that is the NCAA Division II equivalent of the Heisman Trophy; and a Gene Upshaw Award winner (Sam Collins in 2008), signifying the top lineman in NCAA Division II football.

Before becoming the head coach at Abilene Christian, Thomsen served two seasons as offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator for the University of Central Arkansas. He began his coaching career in 1994 as a graduate assistant at ACU before spending two seasons as the offensive line coach and one as 

the defensive line coach. He was named the Wildcats' offensive coordinator in 1998, spending two seasons in that position. After spending one season away from football, he got back into coaching in 2001, spending two years as offensive coordinator at Wichita Falls High School before joining Central Arkansas.

Thomsen played football three seasons (1988-90) and baseball one season (All-America and All-Southwest Conference with 21 home runs and a .373 batting average) at Texas Christian University before being selected in the 17th round of the Major League Baseball Amateur Draft by the Oakland Athletics. He was TCU's Male Athlete of the Year in 1991. Thomsen went on to play for two seasons in Oakland's minor league system. After retiring from baseball, he returned to the college gridiron, playing one season at ACU. He was a First-Team All-Lone Star Conference tight end for the Wildcats, earning Second-Team All-American honors. He earned a Bachelor of Science in criminal justice from TCU in December 1993 and received his master's in secondary education from ACU in 2000."

So it looks like between Chris Tomsen and Colby Carthel, they recruited and coached 12 NFL players. In Tomsen's case they were DRAFT PICKS, not free agents.

Here we have it. Two young, hungry, overachievers with extensive Texas ties, extensive coaching experience in college football, and lots of contacts in the Texas HS coaching ranks. In Colby Carthels case, his daddy, Don Carthel also has extensive contacts in the coaching ranks. 

As much as I like what the Carthels have done at WT and East Texas A&M, Tomsen would probably be the easier one to sell to the North Texas fan base......including the "gang of 17". 

I hope I am wrong.  Impressive and promising if they weren't coming to a place where career's come to die.  And because they are impressive and it appears that they would have options I would hold out for a different job.  I still don't think you can recruit at UNT with dysfunctional athletic department that lack commitment to anything protection of the status quo.

• Downvote 1

None of those really interest me.

^

And if the don't interest the older population, they sure will not interest 17 and 18 year olds. We need a splash hire or we need a cheap hire because I do not want to watch UNT pay 1M a year for continuous 3-9's juat for our flawless AD to spend more millions of other peoples money on a school record buyout. Then put saved money into a sport we have a fighting chance...Baseball. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ken McLaurin, darn sad we couldnt win to get him to go to UNT.  Kid is a heck of an athlete.  I coached him his freshman year he was special then, and I'm sure with time in the weight room and running he has gotten better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If we are able to pay upwards of $1 million a year for a coach (we are), I sure as hell hope we're not going to pay that kind of money to a D2 prospect.  

Ken McLaurin, darn sad we couldnt win to get him to go to UNT.  Kid is a heck of an athlete.  I coached him his freshman year he was special then, and I'm sure with time in the weight room and running he has gotten better. 

I don't know how anybody commits right now.  I wouldn't want to take a job where I had no idea who my boss was going to be.  I am completely ignorant as to when recruiting season happens, but I'm guessing that if it's right about now, then there's really nobody to extend offers (Chico is a dead duck gone after this season), and that nobody in their right might would accept an offer from an empty chair.  This whole thing is a mess.

• Upvote 2

I'll give yall an update on Norvell and possibly Traylor being candidates. I spoke to a Texas insider

"Hard to say if either would leave. I think Norvell would be more likely to leave, because his long-term status as play caller is still very much in question. That being said, I’ve heard nothing that would indicate he’s not happy at Texas. He’d be a good candidate though ... very well respected by his players and other coaches I’ve talked to. Great guy overall."

I do think Texas is going to hire a different OC so Norvell will be a name to follow and whether or not he wants to leave Texas. Would you rather be a position coach and work with a guy you respect or be a HC and get involved in a toxic situation?

I might like to see Norvell or Thomsen here, mainly because they have more skins on the wall. Norvell would be my top choice since he's worked almost exclusively at P5 schools, and at programs that have had some success. Thomsen's had success as a head coach, and that's a good sign for him since being just the OL coach at ASU isn't quite as exciting to me. Carthel's risky - I know he's done well at TAMC and he seems to be defense-minded but will build a good offense. Thing is, he seems to be the least experienced of the 3 names.

We do not need to hire a "big name" or someone who will "make a splash" or someone that will get "media attention".  Why?  Because none of those things produce success on the field.  We need to hire someone that can win football games, plain and simple.  Winning games will cure all the evils of this football program (pessimism, apathy, complacency, etc.).   In my opinion, the ingredients for this coach is young(ish), energetic, somewhat naive, from Texas and/or has numerous Texas ties, and a good recruiter.  But at the end of the day, I don't care what ingredients go into our new coach, so long as he can win games.  

• Upvote 3

I hate to see a Denton Kid go to SMU over us. I know we dont have a coach and its impossible to get kids here when there is no one steering the ship. Maybe Morris will piss him off and he will transfer here in two years

I have football prospect in my family that would consider North Texas unless i forked over 5 figures to them.  Denton recruits are the hardest to recruit here because the are well acquainting with the losing history of UNT.  Mean Joe Green might have well played in the leather helmet era when it come today's recruits.  And they don't know who Patrick Cobbs is or Darrell Dickey. 

I have football prospect in my family that would consider North Texas unless i forked over 5 figures to them.  Denton recruits are the hardest to recruit here because the are well acquainting with the losing history of UNT.  Mean Joe Green might have well played in the leather helmet era when it come today's recruits.  And they don't know who Patrick Cobbs is or Darrell Dickey. 

Cobbs coaches at Ryan HS...My son knows who he is and the other players know too. 

• Upvote 3

Cobbs coaches at Ryan HS...My son knows who he is and the other players know too. 

So the Ryan HS kid may have vague impression of Cobbs as a player or maybe better if he has shown then his game tapes.  And I bet the players at the other high schools barely have a vague impression of Cobbs as a player.  I heard that Cobbs was a coach in the Denton area but quickly forgot because to be honest, it is still irrelevant to recruits.  No 3 star recruit should be leaving Denton for a non-P5 school.

So the Ryan HS kid may have vague impression of Cobbs as a player or maybe better if he has shown then his game tapes.  And I bet the players at the other high schools barely have a vague impression of Cobbs as a player.  I heard that Cobbs was a coach in the Denton area but quickly forgot because to be honest, it is still irrelevant to recruits.  No 3 star recruit should be leaving Denton for a non-P5 school.

I really don't think it's irrelevant to recruits since they know he not only away a stud in college but also played in the league.

As for kids leaving Denton, while I hate seeing another Ryan kid go to SMU it happens everywhere. Gainesville, Florida kids don't all go to UF...

^

And if the don't interest the older population, they sure will not interest 17 and 18 year olds. We need a splash hire or we need a cheap hire because I do not want to watch UNT pay 1M a year for continuous 3-9's juat for our flawless AD to spend more millions of other peoples money on a school record buyout. Then put saved money into a sport we have a fighting chance...Baseball. 

well said.