Breaking News: Rick Villarreal will in fact be leading the hiring process alone. No committee formed

MGNation92

DRC: UNT president Neal Smatresk: “ will be a part of the decisions.”

While he declined to detail UNT’s plans, he left little doubt as to what his involvement will be going forward.

“I’m very interested and I view this as part of a broader landscape of becoming nationally prominent,” Smatresk said. “I’m extremely interested in this and most certainly will be a part of the decisions.”

• Upvote 1

This should end well...

<both this thread and this hire>

What good has ever come out of a committee? Committees are a waste of time. I believe RV needs to retire or be let go, but I don't think a "committee" should hire our next football coach. The AD (whoever that is) with presidential oversight should make that decision.

I actually agree with you. No excuses like RV used for the Shanice Stephens hire just this past week. 

Although I think a different AD needs to be making this hire.

• Downvote 1

So we've got the banner, now we need billboards, T-shirts, campaign buttons, bumper stickers...what am I missing here?

We need our "minority" voice to be powerful and loud!

A sponsor! I know Subway sponsored a few shows to raise money and keep them on air like ChuckCommunity...

The movement to fire Rick is sponsored by.... Jimmy John'sWe're tired of our great sandwiches being associated with an evil man!

During the Great Fire of Rome Nero watched from his palace on the Palatine Hill singing and playing the lyre. Just saying history repeats itself.

Sigh, shiiiiiit....

The firing of Mac surprised many. Perhaps the President will do the right thing and show RV the door. If not we will see more of the same. However don't fret, we are used to mediocrity!!!!

“There is no committee,” Villarreal said. “Any time we make a hire here, the president is always going to look to the athletic director to lead this. Because if he has faith and trust in that person, then they know the business as well as anybody.” - RV

I have now changed my mind. We need a banner flying at every game until RV is gone. And new ideas need to be discussed. I assume Smatresk OK'd this response. I am quickly losing faith in his leadership too.

Sounds like we're going to need more banners!

It's funny--as soon as the banner gets funded to fly at the next game, fly comes running on here to tell us what a mistake this is, then RV tells the school's paper that he will make another hire by himself.  It's almost as if RV gets to do this because the BOR, Smatresk, and the UNT 17 want to prove their point on who makes the decisions around here.

What none of these geniuses get is that we finally get the final confirmation from this place that our fandom and our dollars aren't wanted or needed, so we get to move on. Have an awesome time watching UNT play great home games next year with SMU, Liberty, Southen Miss, La Tech, Charlotte/Old Dominion, and a F_U...we will somehow find something else to do and somewhere else to cheer on, college or pro...

I suggest naming sections at Apogee and the Super Pit after each member of the UNT 17 and the BOR. They own the place, apparently...I just want the Rick Villareal Athletic Department overlooking the Darrell Dickey Practice Fields to become a reality in the future, just to perfectly sum up this place's history in a way that no words or headline could say any better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

RV will make TCU t-shirt fans of us all. 

I grew up there in FW...that's probably who I will gravitate toward, just because of ease to games and actually watching a product that a college football fan would want to watch. Plus, my dearly departed buddy, Richard Durrett was a TCU alum and I would like to take his kids to games that they would've gone to with their dad.

• Upvote 3

I have several friends at Baylor who always want me to help them with their tailgating. Really starting to sound good. They have been to our group's tailgate and really like it. Best of all they offered to buy my seat. 

I think Dan McCarney was a good hire as well. When you look at APR, grades etc McCarney held the team accountable and turned some dysfunctional Dodge recruits into Champions, increased the overall GPA and got us back to full 85 ships AND insisted freshman orientation roll through the stadium to help generate student interest, excitement etc. Now, unfortunately he didn't stick the landing and had to go. But he did a tremendous amount to pull us out of the Dodge debacle. The next guy has to maintain all that Mac did PLUS win consistently 

Keep in mind Mac coached a UNT football team to the worst defeat in college football history. 

Like, ever.

Abd let a personal relationship come before winning football games. 

I would call Mac a disappointing hire. The bowl win gets him a notch above major disappointing hire.

RV's quotes in that article are so unbelieveable ridiculous, it's almost like that article is fake. 

I don't even know what to say....

Are we sure this isn't an Onion story?

• Upvote 1

I think Dan McCarney was a good hire as well. When you look at APR, grades etc McCarney held the team accountable and turned some dysfunctional Dodge recruits into Champions, increased the overall GPA and got us back to full 85 ships AND insisted freshman orientation roll through the stadium to help generate student interest, excitement etc. Now, unfortunately he didn't stick the landing and had to go. But he did a tremendous amount to pull us out of the Dodge debacle. The next guy has to maintain all that Mac did PLUS win consistently 

Yet he was arguably the worst recruiter we've ever had. Probaby not even arguably when you consider what he had to work with.

It sounds like we need professional PI's to find dirt and anonymously shine light on said dirt to get this man out of town. 

Maybe It was actually him at the Taco Cabana that night and they did the old switcharoo?