Breaking News: Rick Villarreal will in fact be leading the hiring process alone. No committee formed

MGNation92

"But I still say to this day that Dan [McCarney] was a good hire. It’s obvious with some things that didn’t happen during his time, but during his first three years, he won 18 games. That hasn’t happened here in a long time.”

Is this guy joking? Seriously? Can someone please show this quote to CougarKing, because he is going to love that our AD just admitted to being satisfied with mediocrity,

We are done, finished, roasted... Still think flying that banner is a bad idea? Can't wait to get annihilated by Liberty next year.....

• Upvote 4

So RV just set our standard for performance with his quote, it's apparently 1 winning season out of 3...way to shoot for the stars, but BTW what about the other 10 losing season in the last 11? Doesn't seem like a good track record to me.

Guess he is really trying to dig in and dare people not to renew those MGC memberships and tickets.

Lots of teeth gnashing here based upon rumor and limited information.  The BOR and administration will keep quiet because it is the professional thing to do, performance aside it would be poor form to disrespect employees in the media let alone in response to letters or emails while they were still employed.  CBL and others have been able to read between the lines quite well.

A solid coach will be hired and I have a hunch as alluded to in several places that it will not be RV making the final decision, less than 24 months remain on his contract.

• Upvote 5

So RV just set our standard for performance with his quote, it's apparently 1 winning season out of 3...way to shoot for the stars, but BTW what about the other 10 losing season in the last 11? Doesn't seem like a good track record to me.

Guess he is really trying to dig in and dare people not to renew those MGC memberships and tickets.

1 winning season out of 5*

• Upvote 1

I think Dan McCarney was a good hire as well. When you look at APR, grades etc McCarney held the team accountable and turned some dysfunctional Dodge recruits into Champions, increased the overall GPA and got us back to full 85 ships AND insisted freshman orientation roll through the stadium to help generate student interest, excitement etc. Now, unfortunately he didn't stick the landing and had to go. But he did a tremendous amount to pull us out of the Dodge debacle. The next guy has to maintain all that Mac did PLUS win consistently 

Dan Mccarney lost and lost embarrassingly to several teams. We are no better than where we were in the minds of the one's who matter...recruits. 

Also, not that it matters, but a fired or retiring coach midseason to me is like a pitcher that leaves the bases juiced. He's still responsible. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think Dan McCarney was a good hire as well. When you look at APR, grades etc McCarney held the team accountable and turned some dysfunctional Dodge recruits into Champions, increased the overall GPA and got us back to full 85 ships AND insisted freshman orientation roll through the stadium to help generate student interest, excitement etc. Now, unfortunately he didn't stick the landing and had to go. But he did a tremendous amount to pull us out of the Dodge debacle. The next guy has to maintain all that Mac did PLUS win consistently 

He couldn't recruit worth a damn. He also used his predecessor's recruits to win his only winning year... But yeah sure.. He was alright I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lots of teeth gnashing here based upon rumor and limited information.  The BOR and administration will keep quiet because it is the professional thing to do, performance aside it would be poor form to disrespect employees in the media let alone in response to letters or emails while they were still employed.  CBL and others have been able to read between the lines quite well.

A solid coach will be hired and I have a hunch as alluded to in several places that it will not be RV making the final decision, less than 24 months remain on his contract.

really? I'm doing some more reading between the lines here on your post...it seems like you could have some inside information...which is encouraging, because otherwise after reading this article I was going to say "welp...apparently I was dead-wrong. fly the damn banner"

• Upvote 6

A week ago we were considering a hiring committee. Now we're not..

This process led by our AD has been wheels off since he fired McCarney after homecoming with players still in the locker room.

RV can't even admit there's a problem. Instead, he's touting his "pretty good track record," as if he's been firing a succession of coaches for being too awesome.

• Upvote 3

No mention of Benny in there.    Guess that one goes on the "pretty good" side of the ledger.   I guess we should just be happy he didn't have room in the article to throw former players under the bus as means of justification!!  Thanks for keeping it short NT Daily!

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1