A Broader Picture

RV should have been gone the day after DMac, but as usual this university can't get things right with athletics. 

This makes me wonder how the old timers have put up with incompetence and mismanagement(over several regimes) for so so long. I have only been following the program since 1994. I shudder to thing what it is like to give 40, 50, 60 years of your life to this and see disappointment time and time again. 

I think it's pretty obvious that if the decision were based on job merit alone, that RV would be out...the good no longer out-weighs the bad. 

I think, if all the "evidence" is correct...Prez Smatresk knows this...but for whatever reason, financially (el gran mal de diecisiete) or politically (BOR...RV has had a lot more time to make friends), he doesn't have the capital to do it straight-up...he needs to be practical and rational. 

• Upvote 4

I didn't see CBL's original, unedited post, so I can only reply to what is there now...

My guess is, if I do have the RV contract timeline right, that in the next six months or so you'll see a new hire with some new and important-sounding title announced in the AD...Director of Athletic Center Ops, or some-such...this hire will likely have crossed career paths with Smatresk at some point and will either be RV's heir-apparent or a baby-sitter for the position until RV's deal expires and Smatresk makes a permanent hire.

This is a scenario I've been thinking could happen.  I've seen it a few times during my career (in IT, but it really doesn't matter).  As for the person's title, I'm thinking "Special Assistant to the President for Athletic Affairs" - something which doesn't imply permanence.

I'm not arguing for or against this, just that it could happen.

I didn't see CBL's original, unedited post, so I can only reply to what is there now...

This is a scenario I've been thinking could happen.  I've seen it a few times during my career (in IT, but it really doesn't matter).  As for the person's title, I'm thinking "Special Assistant to the President for Athletic Affairs" - something which doesn't imply permanence.

fcK30LKXjG6Tm.gif

• Upvote 2

How about "Pariah"?

How about "Pariah"?

Outcast?  No.  But, the etymology of the word Pariah is interesting (courtesy of wikipedia):

From Tamil ?????? ?(pa?aiyar),from ?????? ?(pa?aiya?, “drummer”), from ??? ?(pa?ai, “drum”) or from Malayalam ???? ?(pa?ayar), from ???? ?(pa?ayan, “drummer”), from ?? ?(pa?a, “drum”). Parai in Tamil or Para in Malayalam refers to a type of large drum designed to announce the king’s notices to the public. The people who made a living using the parai were called paraiyar; in the caste-ridden society they were in the lower strata, hence the derisive paraiah and pariah. Now the term is used to describe an outcast in English.

Drummer to announce the king's (Smatresk) notice?  It won't be me! 

Edited by Stix
well, cutting & pasting that didn't work well...
  • Upvote 1