North Texas Basketball Madness

Army of Dad

Combs was chucking up (and missing) 3s at just about every opportunity.

The other bigs did struggle. Brice did not move well at all. He was really into the school spirit portion and seems very happy to be here. I think he will play his best, I just don't think he will be a factor this year (potential is definitely there). Of course that's based off only what he showed tonight in a no-defense scrimmage so take it with a big grain of salt. The other bigs were not impressive. On the whole I'd say our front court play will be worse than last season. 

Harris was hitting from deep very well and Houston looked good. Like a young Tristan Thompsen with better hops.

combs went 1-3 from deep. Not awful forms guy who had not shot 10 feet away from the basket last year. I do agree with the Bigs though. They did look slow and struggled offensively. Maybe they will be good in the defensive end when they actually play defense? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Army of Dad- I've head the sluggish thing about Brice before, but I do think some bigs take more time. And like you said a no-defense scrimmage. I saw some things about Fuller. So he was not impressive? I was hoping he would bring some toughness to the position if Brice needed more time.  Looks like we really needed Mike Thomas.

And is it Houston or Holston? I think you mean Holston, since I don't see a Houston on the roster.  

Did anybody look like they could shoot out side of Harris?

Army of Dad- I've head the sluggish thing about Brice before, but I do think some bigs take more time. And like you said a no-defense scrimmage. I saw some things about Fuller. So he was not impressive? I was hoping he would bring some toughness to the position if Brice needed more time.  Looks like we really needed Mike Thomas.

And is it Houston or Holston? I think you mean Holston, since I don't see a Houston on the roster.  

Did anybody look like they could shoot out side of Harris?

Brice is a freshman big, nearly all of them struggle and it wouldn't be a worry if we had a deeper front court... Fuller didn't make a big impression on me either good or bad and this type of action can be deceiving especially for bigs.

Yeah, I meant Holston. My phone's autocorrect hasn't learned his name yet.

We had some other guys making 3s, but with all the new faces it was tough for me to keep track of everyone.

• Upvote 1

Combs was chucking up (and missing) 3s at just about every opportunity.

The other bigs did struggle. Brice did not move well at all. He was really into the school spirit portion and seems very happy to be here. I think he will play his best, I just don't think he will be a factor this year (potential is definitely there). Of course that's based off only what he showed tonight in a no-defense scrimmage so take it with a big grain of salt. The other bigs were not impressive. On the whole I'd say our front court play will be worse than last season. 

Harris was hitting from deep very well and Houston looked good. Like a young Tristan Thompsen with better hops.

As a true freshman, Brice has some "learning to do" going against seasoned D1 veterans, but I do think he oops bigger than when I last saw him and showed the ability to redirect shots in the lane.  How much he will or will not contribute is certainly anyone's guess at this point, but I do think he has a chance to see some decent minutes this a season...if for no other reason than to clog up the lane a bit.  Agree...he sure seems to be having fun.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

he is fine. Minor injury 

Stinks the guys also get just 15 minutes. Was hoping for 20 minute scrimmage, because the 3 point contest is never special. This is the big event and it gets 15 minutes 

Combs pulling out the three ball tonight!

3 point contest should be good, especially with no one guarding them.  That is not good. 

3 point contest should be good, especially with no one guarding them.  That is not good. 

It is set up poorly. They only shoot 10 balls and they are laying on the ground around the perimeter. It's weird because many years ago when Trilli was here they used ball racks and just had four men compete and then two go to the finals. The three point contest is poorly planned and the result is not exciting to watch. They should have the skills set up like they do in the all star game. It's not difficult. With all the people in the athletic department you would think there would be someone who would have some creative thoughts and be able to carry them out. The night was a success but could be so much better 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It is set up poorly. They only shoot 10 balls and they are laying on the ground around the perimeter. It's weird because many years ago when Trilli was here they used ball racks and just had four men compete and then two go to the finals. The three point contest is poorly planned and the result is not exciting to watch. They should have the skills set up like they do in the all star game. It's not difficult. With all the people in the athletic department you would think there would be someone who would have some creative thoughts and be able to carry them out. The night was a success but could be so much better 

Heck, just having person under the basket with a ball rack passing it to the shooters would be way better and probably much easier for the shooters.

• Upvote 3

Heck, just having person under the basket with a ball rack passing it to the shooters would be way better and probably much easier for the shooters.

Agreed. If the AD would pay me what I am making now I would easily step in and work my rear off to make all aspects better. I'm waiting for their call ;) haha

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I thought he was saying Holston was like a young Thompson, I don't see Harris' game like that.

Harris is shorter but more athletic than Thompson. I think he was comparing the fact he was hit from deep. He was five of five from the three point line in like a 5 minute period. Two we're definitely from at least NBA range. Harris had a chance to be the best player last year, but he is going to be this year if he stays healthy and keeps a level head. 

So grading the players based on who will contribute.....

Look to be no factors this season: DJ Drapper, Jacob Gross, Chris Campbell, Todd Eaglin, Carrington Ward, and Greg White Pittman. 

Looked decent but have a lot to prove: Fuller, Brice, And Katenda. 

The real deal: Combs, Harris, Brown, Johnson, Holston and Reese (basing it off rumors from practice).

We have some really good guards but the season will ride on 3 post players. They must stay healthy and improve drastically for us to have a chance of winning. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1