North Texas Basketball Madness

Army of Dad

No not the kicking people into pits kind of madness (that might be too harsh even for Benford!), but our (free!) preseason event.

Starts at 6:30, autographs at 9:00. There will be a quick practice (yes, talking about practice), 3 point shooting and dunk contests. 

I hope they give out a program this year since there's no way to keep up with all the new faces otherwise.

I will try to attend, mostly to support Jalie's return but also out of my continued morbid curiosity with Benford ball.

More info (and less snark) here:

http://m.meangreensports.com/m/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101515aaa.html

Hmm, no mention of practice. Maybe they changed the format from previous years.

Edited by Army of Dad
Format and maybe no practice?
  • Upvote 2

I have gone every year and I remember going many many years ago when we use to do this underbTrilli. There use to be maybe 500 to 1,000 that showed up but the past few years we usually get 3,000 people or so. No telling what we get this year though.

probably 1000 here now, not bad considering the weather.

ill try post any updates that seem worth it. (Or not worth it depending on how one sees it)

ETA:

Lighting is definitely different. More of the lighted court and stands in the shadows kind of set up. Looks good, but I no idea how the color of the light is, but it has to be better than before.

Edited by Army of Dad

Within visual distance of Army and Brett. My day is made!

ill try post any updates that seem worth it. (Or not worth it depending on how one sees it)

ETA:

Lighting is definitely different. More of the lighted court and stands in the shadows kind of set up. Looks good, but I no idea how the color of the light is, but it has to be better than before.

I like the lighting. Kind of like the lighting when the Lakers play. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

ETA:

I'll give my opinion once the first game comes around.

• Upvote 2

I'll give my opinion once the first game comes around.

Some of the lights are kind of flicking on and off. I'm hoping they fix that after the trial run tonight.

Within visual distance of Army and Brett. My day is made!

I like the lighting. Kind of like the lighting when the Lakers play. 

(Not really to Andrew since he's here, just filling some details for those that aren't here.)

To go along with the lights they repainted the text around the court to a pure white. 

Also, looks like we are going to have the "big time" intros this year. Lights are dimmed, fog machine running and a spotlight on the introduced player. I like it, and I bet the players (and recruits) will really like it.

• Upvote 5

Reese isn't dressed out-that is not good...

he is fine. Minor injury 

Stinks the guys also get just 15 minutes. Was hoping for 20 minute scrimmage, because the 3 point contest is never special. This is the big event and it gets 15 minutes 

Combs pulling out the three ball tonight!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

he is fine. Minor injury 

Stinks the guys also get just 15 minutes. Was hoping for 20 minute scrimmage, because the 3 point contest is never special. This is the big event and it gets 15 minutes 

I'd rather move on to the skills part. Won't know what we really have until games start. First impression is that Brice will not be a factor this year. Houston looks good.

I'd rather move on to the skills part. Won't know what we really have until games start. First impression is that Brice will not be a factor this year. Houston looks good.

I think defensively he is going to help. He is a big boy and has definitely put on weight. He looks out of shape though!

• Upvote 1

Now, that was fun!  Ladies played a bit...a bit more defense than the men who seemed to be into the NBA All-Star game style of defense.  Dunk-fest by the men.  I will say that Rickey Brice looked like he has filled out a bit and did alter several shots in the lane.  DeAndre Harris was shooting the three "lights out", and young Mr. Combs is definitely the real deal.  Both Ja'Michael Brown and Deckie Johnson may just be lots of fun to watch.  Missed seeing J-Mychal Reese play, but was assured that his injury is very minor and will be no problem.

Ladies were shooting the ball well and their passes seemed to be much crisper.  Did not see Terra Ellison or Taylor Roof due to injuries.  These ladies might just be surprising a few folks and will definitely be a reflection of their coach.  They'll be working hard.

Some really great student dance teams performed tonight.  I hope we see some back for half-times this year.  Soooooo much better than the Little Dribblers!  Three point contest and dunk contests ended the night....Jeremy Combs is our repeat dunk champion.  

Free hot dogs, pizza, ice cream, chips, candy, drinks, t-shirts and other goodies passed out tonight to all attendees.  

Really nice student turnout...I am guessing more like 1500 students...maybe 500 "regulars", but lots of "regulars" we're probably stopped by the rain.  It was pouring at the Super Pit (outside of course) right at tip-off. 

New lighting looked good, and I was told there is still some adjusting to be done.  No tables on the side where the floor seats are located.  Don't know how that will work or if the tables return for the season.

All in all...really fun evening at the Super Pit.

Oh, forgot to add...the great George Odufawa was in the house and served as one of the slam dunk contest along with a couple of long time fans and donors.

Really enjoyed watching George Odufawa play...gave it all he had every minute of every game he played.  Here's wishing him continued success.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

Combs, Harris, Deckie, Brown, and Holston all looked very good! Our guard play has improved but the wing could use some work. Disappointed in Katenda and Fuller. Hoping they get that work in. Brice is the biggest question mark. He is massive! Could be a legit 7 foot with a solid 280 on him at least. Defensively he is going to alter a lot of shots. Offensively unless he is dunking there are some serious concerns. All defense and offense from Brice. He also needs to hustle. He could be very very special for UNT!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Combs, Harris, Deckie, Brown, and Holston all looked very good! Our guard play has improved but the wing could use some work. Disappointed in Katenda and Fuller. Hoping they get that work in. Brice is the biggest question mark. He is massive! Could be a legit 7 foot with a solid 280 on him at least. Defensively he is going to alter a lot of shots. Offensively unless he is dunking there are some serious concerns. All defense and offense from Brice. He also needs to hustle. He could be very very special for UNT!

Thanks for the updates. About the wing, I thought both Deckie and Holston played the wing? Seems like outside of Combs the other bigs struggled.  Although, in an up and down pickup style game, big guys sometimes get left out of the action.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the updates. About the wing, I thought both Deckie and Holston played the wing? Seems like outside of Combs the other bigs struggled.  Although, in an up and down pickup style game, big guys sometimes get left out of the action.

I am just concerned about the length at the position defensively. Offensively we have a lot of options.

• Upvote 1

Combs was chucking up (and missing) 3s at just about every opportunity.

The other bigs did struggle. Brice did not move well at all. He was really into the school spirit portion and seems very happy to be here. I think he will play his best, I just don't think he will be a factor this year (potential is definitely there). Of course that's based off only what he showed tonight in a no-defense scrimmage so take it with a big grain of salt. The other bigs were not impressive. On the whole I'd say our front court play will be worse than last season. 

Harris was hitting from deep very well and Houston looked good. Like a young Tristan Thompsen with better hops.