SPORTING NEWS OPTIMISTIC ABOUT MEN'S BB

IslandEagle

The latest Sporting News magazine is fairly high on the Mean Green despite our pessimism. They are projecting North Texas to finish 6th overall (ahead of Western Kentucky, Rice, FIU, FAU, UTSA, Marshall, Southern Miss and Charlotte). They seem very high on Combs and J'Mycall Reese. Unfortunately, they went to press before Aniefliok left the team. They also like the upside on Harris, if he can control his emotions. 

Interestingly, the point out that it took "Jones six seasons to ramp up the Mean Green" and wonder if Benford will be given that time to build his program.

At least some people think the program is on the upswing.

• Upvote 2

The latest Sporting News magazine is fairly high on the Mean Green despite our pessimism. They are projecting North Texas to finish 6th overall (ahead of Western Kentucky, Rice, FIU, FAU, UTSA, Marshall, Southern Miss and Charlotte). They seem very high on Combs and J'Mycall Reese. Unfortunately, they went to press before Aniefliok left the team. They also like the upside on Harris, if he can control his emotions. 

Interestingly, the point out that it took "Jones six seasons to ramp up the Mean Green" and wonder if Benford will be given that time to build his program.

At least some people think the program is on the upswing.

yeah, I guess we are on the upswing. Even Benford  can't keep churning out seasons where we finish in double digits in the standings.

• Upvote 1

i went to the game against SFA two years ago and i could hear the ball bouncing and the players talking on the court.  the game was so bad the SFA crowd was even silent. It was almost spooky.  I was sitting in the seats in lower level but the top row.  I have never been to game that was more like a practice in my life.

i went to the game against SFA two years ago and i could hear the ball bouncing and the players talking on the court.  the game was so bad the SFA crowd was even silent. It was almost spooky.  I was sitting in the seats in lower level but the top row.  I have never been to game that was more like a practice in my life.

There was also icy roads that day. The weather kept the crowd small (smaller). Not saying the crowds haven't been small. 

• Upvote 1

Very true.  What concerns me even more than the inexperience, though, is an imbalanced roster with only four front court players.  

We only had four front court players last year. Still I too am concerned about the front court. They lack experience but they are larger then what we had last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We only had four front court players last year. Still I too am concerned about the front court. They lack experience but they are larger then what we had last year.

Yeah, that's a good point about last year.  If Brice is ready to contribute and earn significant minutes early in the season, then we might be better than some people think.  If he and Fuller need time to develop, then that will put a lot of pressure on Combs to produce points, especially since it doesn't sound like Katenda will be much of an offensive threat. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that's a good point about last year.  If Brice is ready to contribute and earn significant minutes early in the season, then we might be better than some people think.  If he and Fuller need time to develop, then that will put a lot of pressure on Combs to produce points, especially since it doesn't sound like Katenda will be much of an offensive threat. 

I hate that Thomas didn't qualify, but I am still wondering what happened to Thompson. His height alone could have warranted at least some decent practice time.

I actually ran into Benford at the last football game. I should have asked him about Thompson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Very true.  What concerns me even more than the inexperience, though, is an imbalanced roster with only four front court players.  

with one being a true freshman and needing to add some serious muscle.

Lack of depth in the front court will be the undoing of this team.

Well, that and 3 point shooting.

I think the Sporting News thinks JJ still coaches here...

• Upvote 1

with one being a true freshman and needing to add some serious muscle.

Lack of depth in the front court will be the undoing of this team.

Well, that and 3 point shooting.

I think the Sporting News thinks JJ still coaches here...

if you think Brice needs to add muscle I think you should have gone to the mean green madness. He is huge! Biggest player I have ever seen suit up for the mean green. I agree we lack depth and we will have issues in the post, but size won't be an issue. Based on the game and what we have heard from practice Brice will struggle offensively this year, but he will clog the paint. I am more worried that he may foul to much with his size. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

if you think Brice needs to add muscle I think you should have gone to the mean green madness. He is huge! Biggest player I have ever seen suit up for the mean green. I agree we lack depth and we will have issues in the post, but size won't be an issue. Based on the game and what we have heard from practice Brice will struggle offensively this year, but he will clog the paint. I am more worried that he may foul to much with his size. 

I think he needs to add muscle and not just size. I'm concerned with his defensive movement too. He seemed kind of clunky the other night and I think that will result in lots of fouls as he adjusts to this level. 

• Upvote 2

I think he needs to add muscle and not just size. I'm concerned with his defensive movement too. He seemed kind of clunky the other night and I think that will result in lots of fouls as he adjusts to this level. 

it's going to be a growing year for Brice and Fuller. The potential is there for this team though. Fuller is huge and could be a beast. We have good young talent, but seems like we are missing a piece or two. Would be nice to have Thomas and Anefiok. We could probably do without eaglin or ward. 

• Upvote 1