MGB: Villarreal -- "We have things we need to finish here"

Brett Vito

I read this entire thread and the only conclusion I've made is I'm not attending anymore football games and it sucks. It's pointless to get upset about this team. UNT football is a disaster, regardless of who thinks they know what or what side of the fence you're on about this AD our team is garbage. Recruiting will be really tough moving forward so it will get worse before it gets better. If it every gets consistently better. There is absolutely no leadership at UNT and I'm not wasting another Saturday for this nonsense. 

why not come to another game? Great tailgating and friends...you don't have to enter the stadium...tickets are counted anyways...Im not happy about the direction of the program, but there is no way in hell I'm missing tailgating...

and i go to my seats every game...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Curious, what did you players think of Helwig?

I myself really like Helwig. He is a good man too. I think back then he was fighting a serious uphill battle against the university who was uninterested in supporting athletics. He did the most with very limited resources. In my opinion he was far superior at being an AD than RV. He hired much better coaches, absolutely scheduled better, and was an important part of getting us back into Division 1. Times were tough back then in concern to support for the team. We have come a long way and the current management takes it for granted.

why not come to another game? Great tailgating and friends...you don't have to enter the stadium...tickets are counted anyways...Im not happy about the direction of the program, but there is no way in hell I'm missing tailgating...

and i go to my seats every game...

Seeing that our schedule was so poorly planned we only have 2 more home games. So...

All my friends backed out of all the games so the Mrs and I aren't highly motivated now. It's ashame because I love going to the games and having an excuse to drink beer with my friends. They've taken all the fun out of it.

My girls are my priority anyways and I do multiple games on Saturdays. They win too!  I was going to have them dress up and go to the UTSA game but we are going to trick or treat in our neighborhood now. They are only little once so I want them to have fun. 

That leaves UTEP on Thanksgiving weekend and we'll likely be sitting at 0-11. I really don't like UTEP and don't want to see us get stomped by them again. It's probably best if the stadium is empty anyway. Not that it will change anything. 

The whole thing is just sad.

• Upvote 1

Again, you guys must be newbies.  The student vote was well orchestrated by the athletic department.  It was passed after it had failed once before.  The stadium should be named after Jeff Kline.

I have been arou d since 1965, much longer than you.  It is time for RV to go.

• Upvote 5

http://e.gofund.me/qd6qjzk8

I don't understand the hatred toward Vito. That blog entry actually painted RV in a moderately good light. Are you mad at him for asking what is on EVERYONE'S mind?

I don't either. Kudos to Vito for asking the question we all want to ask. ADs generally are extended the courtesy of being allowed to resign, rather than getting t fired which, I'm sure, is why he phrased the question that way.

I'm impressed at how many active posters we have that are 40+ years old.  The AD is in for a bit of surprise if they think that this is a small band of 20 and 30-somethings.

Not that it makes much difference when RV sits so cozy behind the agents of Shield 17.

SHIELD.jpg

To be honest, only being in my early 20's I feel like the minority on this board. Although ironically enough I agree with most of the 40+ year olds, and I've only been at it a few years.

The big question is: What will it take for RV to get fired? What if he chooses the new football coach and the beat goes on. The new coach goes 12-36 over the next 4 years. Will THAT be enough. What if we continue to lose in men's BB and win ten games this season. Will THAT Be enough? What if Jalie continues the downward spiral of women's BB. Will THAT be enough? I just want to know what the barometer for performance is around here. 

• Upvote 2

The big question is: What will it take for RV to get fired? What if he chooses the new football coach and the beat goes on. The new coach goes 12-36 over the next 4 years. Will THAT be enough. What if we continue to lose in men's BB and win ten games this season. Will THAT Be enough? What if Jalie continues the downward spiral of women's BB. Will THAT be enough? I just want to know what the barometer for performance is around here. 

In regards to performance, there obviously were no parameters set to stay within. If that were the case RV would have been fired after or in the midst of Todd Dodge. 

It's pretty clear that RV doesn't have any standards attached to his job security. 

The amazing thing is RV fires Mac for 2 years of poor job performance, but doesn't have the self awareness to understand it's the height of hypocrisy for a guy with 10 years of miserable job performance to fire a guy with 2 years of miserable job performance. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It's pretty clear that RV doesn't have any standards attached to his job security. 

The amazing thing is RV fires Mac for 2 years of poor job performance, but doesn't have the self awareness to understand it's the height of hypocrisy for a guy with 10 years of miserable job performance to fire a guy with 2 years of miserable job performance. 

Point taken. I'll pose the question this way, and I am dead serious. Is there ANYTHING that will get RV fired at this point? I know that sounds stupid but I continue to be baffled by the standards that are set by the administration. 

You pro RV guys sure are vocal today. Does this have anything to do with the article released today about RV giving everyone the finger?

The further we get from actual football games, the more the callouses build up around the pain. Just give it until Marshall and it will all be ripped raw again.

Aston didn't take UNT to the sweet sixteen. Get it?

Unless you are a UT fan, that don't matter.

0efebf68293c4138d4cfde294be29ab5.jpg

She was here for one year. Took us from the football equivalent of 0-12 to the football equivalent of 6-6. SHE GOT HIRED AWAY!!! If she had stayed she would've undoubtedly had us a winning season which is why she was HIRED AWAY by the WEALTHIEST PROGRAM IN THE NATION!!

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

0efebf68293c4138d4cfde294be29ab5.jpg

She was he for one year. Took us from the football equivalent of 0-12 to the football equivalent of 6-6. SHE GOT HIRED AWAY!!! If she had stayed she would've undoubtedly had us a winning season which is why she was HIRED AWAY by the WEALTHIEST PROGRAM IN THE NATION!!

Some folks missed the whole press release about Aston going off to her dream job. But don't let that get in the way of being angry.

Point taken. I'll pose the question this way, and I am dead serious. Is there ANYTHING that will get RV fired at this point? I know that sounds stupid but I continue to be baffled by the standards that are set by the administration. 

The day there are no more buildings to build/renovate and there are only on-field/court results to point to.  If the results remain as they are today, he'll be gone.
So here's what we're looking forward to:

Underway/currently funded:
New Golf Practice Facility (Thanks Gruzzy!)
Soccer/Softball Stadium upgrades
Pit upgrades

To Do List:
New T&F complex - much of the funding for this coming from the actual University budget since they want Fouts bulldozed so badly.

Baseball stadium
Waranch Center Court (will this ever happen?)
Once the above 3 are done, there will be more improvements to make!

So, getting through the "to do" list will take several years.   Just in time for Rick to retire comfortably.  What happens on the field/court during that time?  ...Doesn't matter as much to Rick, since the "majority" will back him through all of those projects.

I agree with @flyonthewall that this Vito post was bait and pointless. Who in their right mind when asked if they were going to retire because things at work aren't going well are going to say yes to that question. No one. It was dumb. All it did was start an argument about whether or not RV was giving us the finger.

The point about the minority thinking they would like to see something different, I'm sure in his world we are the minority. The ironic part of that is that's because there are so few fans built up not only by his administration but ones prior. There really just aren't enough of us one way or the other. Sure there are 200 on here that think it's time to move in a new direction, but I imagine most of the others coming to games, even some season ticket holders that don't read GMG, don't really give RV much thought. They just figure well we suck again but that's pretty much how it's always been so it's not really anyone's fault.

I appreciate Fly's opinion on here and would really like to see him answer the questions @Cerebus asked. But I think what happens is, guys like fly do have a personal relationship with RV  and therefore want him to succeed. I don't have any problem with that. But the fact that the MGC hasn't grown, season tickets haven't grown, and nearly every hire in the Big 3 for the last decade have been bad hires is reason that RV should be on the hot seat.

I think the other sports FLY mentions have had good hires. I think those hires are easier to do because the media doesn't watch it and there isn't a huge negative connection with our golf program for example like there is with FB and BK. But still, the hires have been good.

Maybe RV is on the hot seat. I think the work he has done with facilities and conferences and big donors has put him now on the hot seat. He actually has to perform. It appears he is getting that chance still. I don't agree with it, but I can see the reasoning.

If the next FB hire goes badly, I bet he doesn't survive.

I think the other sports FLY mentions have had good hires. I think those hires are easier to do because the media doesn't watch it and there isn't a huge negative connection with our golf program for example like there is with FB and BK. But still, the hires have been good.

Maybe RV is on the hot seat. I think the work he has done with facilities and conferences and big donors has put him now on the hot seat. He actually has to perform. It appears he is getting that chance still. I don't agree with it, but I can see the reasoning.

He should not be allowed to make the next BAD football hire, he proved to us through his track record in that sport he can't do it. 

He shouldn't get a change to screw up the next football hire. Not only that, but by the time his next football hire goes badly he will have hired another MBB coach...

He should not be allowed to make the next BAD football hire, he proved to us through his track record in that sport he can't do it. 

Agreed