MGB: Villarreal -- "We have things we need to finish here"

Brett Vito

2 quick questions because you are one of two things:

1. If you are in the Athletic Department, you DO realize your department is the laughing stock of college athletics and you should probably leave UNT off of your resume if you want to obtain gainful employment in this field.

2. If you are one of the 17 you realize that RV only keeps the top 3 donors on his "A" list speed dial on his Jitterbug phone. Better not expect him to answer the phone if you get a flat tire outside of a VERY empty Apogee.

And then there was a third option they hadn't considered - he's simply a troll. 

• Upvote 3

who told you that was how it went?

Come on man? even if I am wrong, RV still doesn't know how to respectfully fire someone. It doesn't surprise me, since he doesn't know how to hire someone either...

BTW: ESPN says McCarney was announced fired an hour after the game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13856676/dan-mccarney-fired-north-texas-mean-green-coach-embarrassing-loss

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How many of you that are calling for RV's head have ever managed employees?  I'm speculating but guessing very few of you.  RV fired Dan when he needed to be fired.  He didn't wait to long and he gave him ample opportunity to get it together.  That's what good bosses do. 

Right, just like Benford.

Good God, this HAS to be a troll. 

And then there was a third option they hadn't considered - he's simply a troll. 

so basically, we are all trolls, because some of the things that I say causes discourse and controversy with some of you, and some of the things you say causes discourse and controversy for me.  So by definition, we are all trolls, with the biggest troll being KRAM, the defending Ulys Knight spirit award champion.

authors opinion, UNT90 is not a troll, because he can only mutter one premise and one only, "ALL THINGS RV SUCK".  A true troll agitates on any given topic, with the ability to make a counterpoint to any argument.

Tony Benford, UNT90 "RV SUCKS"  etc..,...

• Upvote 2

Y'all, when Rick is mentioning "minority", he has it broken down into dollar figures.

See, when you vote in a poll on the internet about whether or not you want him fired, it doesn't mean anything.   When you donate to the Athletics department with your $250-500 MGC donation plus season tickets, it means a little bit.  When you donate $500+ to the MGC, plus some sweet club-level seats with license fees, it means even more.   However, when you donate into the millions, you're on a completely different plane.  As long as "the 17" (re: "majority") are happy with RV and their money continues to roll in, the other 10k (WKU attendance) - 38k(HoD Bowl attendance) are in the "minority".

• Upvote 3

Y'all, when Rick is mentioning "minority", he has it broken down into dollar figures.

See, when you vote in a poll on the internet about whether or not you want him fired, it doesn't mean anything.   When you donate to the Athletics department with your $250-500 MGC donation plus season tickets, it means a little bit.  When you donate $500+ to the MGC, plus some sweet club-level seats with license fees, it means even more.   However, when you donate into the millions, you're on a completely different plane.  As long as "the 17" (re: "majority") are happy with RV and their money continues to roll in, the other 10k (WKU attendance) - 38k(HoD Bowl attendance) are in the "minority".

Hey, money talks & bullshit walks. 

so basically, we are all trolls, because some of the things that I say causes discourse and controversy with some of you, and some of the things you say causes discourse and controversy for me.  So by definition, we are all trolls, with the biggest troll being KRAM, the defending Ulys Knight spirit award champion.

authors opinion, UNT90 is not a troll, because he can only mutter one premise and one only, "ALL THINGS RV SUCK".  A true troll agitates on any given topic, with the ability to make a counterpoint to any argument.

pretty sure We're talking about obama.

who told you that was how it went?

But you know, right?

Because that's what you do, come on here and drop hints at just how much inside info you have and how stupid we all are (even though most of what some of us predicted for this season, Benford, and many other things magically come true).

It truly, truly is #allajoke

Also, you do know that RV had leaked the hire so badly that it was on social media that Mac was going to be fired 6 hours before the game, right?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A clown? A clown? How did you want him to handle the firing.  I have never found any good way to fire anyone.   The best way is to just rip it off like a bandaid, but even that isn't easy.

Mac is going to receive lots of reasons why he should take it like a man, and he did take it like a man.  10-0 would have been the worst loss in history to that team.

getting a little lax on the rules in time of huge crisis I see..

So you and your buddies are going to keep RV here, help him sort thru the candidates for the opening of head football coach at UNT, and assist him in hiring said coach in the weeks ahead, yet in this "time of huge crisis" you are on gmg,com worrying about rules on posting with the moderators...

Gee, how in the world did we ever find ourselves at 0-6 with the worst loss in FBS history when one of the biggest donors we have that bends the ear of the AD at anytime is arguing about rules on posting on an internet forum??

@flyonthewall - Trying to let the guy make a point without shutting him down immediately because of the username. You're right, it's an issue we've raised with others before. But, it's a 6 year old account with no posts before today. 

I have a message out asking for an acceptable alternate name, and I'll change it as soon as i get an answer. Or, if the content of his posts swings to be actively political, then we'll act accordingly. For now, though, trying to let the guy raise what's generally a minority viewpoint (pro-Rick) around here lately without using his username as a pretense to stifle whatever points he wants to make. 

Again, you guys must be newbies.  The student vote was well orchestrated by the athletic department.  It was passed after it had failed once before.  The stadium should be named after Jeff Kline.

if I remember right, and I do as a student who worked for the university at that time Jeff and our very own @untflyer were the 2 that really got the project passed. They mostly had to work AROUND athletics as the students were mad at RV ( I was their for several student meets that the students were yelling and booing rv) for trying to pass the stadium again after it had failed once before. 

• Upvote 4

How many of you that are calling for RV's head have ever managed employees?  I'm speculating but guessing very few of you.  RV fired Dan when he needed to be fired.  He didn't wait to long and he gave him ample opportunity to get it together.  That's what good bosses do. 

Yes you are right.... that is all it takes to be a good manager.  Fire people that you hired when they don't produce. Gotcha

I don't think you are a troll, nor is KRAM. I do think whom ever is posting at "obama" is a troll based on some of his outrageous comments that appear to be designed to cause a reaction. The one that caught my eye as completely troll-like was "wins and losses don't matter, only facilities matter." You wrote in another thread that with the resources now available, the wins DO matter. 

Trolls try to get people worked up and angry simply to see the commotion. "Obama" appears to be posting comments specifically written to generate conflict and NOT to further discussion. 

• Upvote 1

Don't think you are a troll at all and appreciate people who are passionate about the school I love (Kram too!), but do disagree with you on what needs to be done next in the AD department...

I love our new facilities, I love not being in the SBC. No doubt about it.

I'm not okay being ranked dead last in football, ranked in the 200s in Men's bball, and I-don't-know-what in women's basketball. We can do better. I know we can.

Despite what RV has built - a new football stadium, the athletic complex - he has not created winning Big 3 programs at North Texas. 

He has brought in major donors, and used their money to improve the athletic infrastructure. Depending on these big money donors is unsustainable. Haven't they stopped to ask, why can't you raise enough funds from the general population over 15 years to renovate an old locker room? 

He needs to develop a bigger funding base across the metroplex. He hasn't been able to create a significant money base with us regular folk in nearly 15 years and tens (hundreds?) of thousands of graduates.

What have his hires done to the big 3 programs? 

The big donors can't be the only ones carrying this school along. RV needs to increase MGC membership and he hasn't done that. RV has to create winning Big 3 programs and he hasn't done that.

He has built a solid infrastructure on the big donors' backs that he hasn't been able to use successfully.

Let someone else furnish the house RV built.

And major donors? Thank you for the facilities, they're effing nice. Seriously. Our club level rivals Spartan Stadium's.

You have gotten a nice return on your investment.

Us little guys donate what we can, we just don't see the return in our investment.

Here is the deal. Increasing MGC donorship doesn't benefit RV. Having over 300 big donors doesn't benefit RV.

Having 17 major donors that he can manipulate does benefit RV.

He doesn't care about this university one bit and demonstrated as much in this Vito article. He cares about himself, his paycheck, and his overly inflated sense of his own legacy. 

Nothing more.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

He doesn't care about this university one bit and demonstrated as much in this Vito article. He cares about himself, his paycheck, and his overly inflated sense of his own legacy. 

How does "I am not retiring" "We have work left to do" demonstrate this?

Not a troll, not a troll.  VITO article, UNT90; "RV SUCKS"

Edited by flyonthewall
  • Upvote 1

If you would like to know, I have no idea what the circumstances were behind How Mack was fired.  I was hooking up my tailgate trailer in the blue lot and got a text from my wife that said "It's done, Mac is fired".

Secondly, every year my wife and I write down record predictions before the season starts.  This year I wrote 3-9, because we had failed in my mind to get a quarterback on campus that was a difference maker, and we had a new defensive coordinator.  I wanted in my heart to be wrong.  I wanted so badly for us to go in to Dallas and beat SMU.

Stupid is a strong word, and I am truly sorry if I have ever called you that, and if I did, it was in fun, because all of you guys are part of a big dysfunctional family of mine by default.  We all went to the same university.  We all call ourselves alumnus of the University of North Texas.  My wife and I are sick and tired of sitting in a room and hearing the question "Where did you go to school?" and seeing the looks on faces that we all get.  Why? because we suck in athletics.  Those people don't know a damned thing about any of our academic programs, just that we don't play good football. 

So 13 years ago, we set out to change that perception.  We had just been to our second New Orleans Bowl, and we were starting to make some money, so lets help build an athletic center.  That first pledge grew into many more things.  Our love for the University, our University, and when I say ours I mean everybody, has never changed.  

So lets get something straight.  I don't think I am better than any one of you.  I haven't supported this University so that I can get "inside" access.  "Inside" access does come with support, I will admit that.  When Dan McCarney was hired, I found out who the candidate was the same day you did.  When Dan McCarney was fired, I was shocked that it happened so quickly, and saddened that football had fallen so far so fast, it almost seems impossible.

This notion of "17" has gotten out of hand, and I know I am to blame.  It was a reference in the beginning to the fact that in order to own a suite, you have to donate $15,000.00 minimum annually to the mean green club.  There are 15 of those people, and a couple of corporations.  Those names can be found in a game day program, pretty much if you are at the $15,000.00 level, then you have a suite.  There are a few exceptions because a couple of suites are split between two families.  It went to 17 because McNatt and Bruzzy were going to be announced at halftime of homecoming.  (Ryan is a suiteholder already)

I know this isn't going to help, but please lay off of the other suite holders.  I have no idea how they feel about any of this, save 3 or 4 that I socialize with.

I can tell you this.  Your large donors are not the enemy.  They want exactly what you want.  WINS, WINS, WINS

I don't think people who donate much more than I can afford to are the enemy, although I can see by some of the posts on here why some may believe that. I think the frustration is that for those of us who know we don't donate enough to move the needle, we worry that those who do may put their friendship in front of doing what's best for the school. I think we all want what's best for North Texas, but I think most of us fear that friendships may get in the way of pushing the weight needed to get things done if it comes to that...

• Upvote 2

I can tell you this.  Your large donors are not the enemy.  They want exactly what you want.  WINS, WINS, WINS

I absolutely believe you on this Fly.  The large donors would have to be insane to put the large amount of money that they do into the program if they didn't expect wins.

However I think a lot of us small frys, who don't have this...

"Inside" access does come with support, I will admit that. 

...and who don't have a lot of face to face time with the AD have a different reading on the program.  Very likely, it is because we don't have access and we don't have that face to face time that we haven't developed a personal attachment to someone.  It's only natural for those personal bonds to form.  

However if you didn't know the AD at all, and you saw MGC growth that looked like this...

zIh8eyt.jpg

...and you saw ticket sales continue to stagnate, even shrink after the bowl season, and you saw the win-lose record for AD hires that Tasty and others have documented... wouldn't you start to wonder if there wasn't someone else who could do a better job?

That is the viewpoint of most of the fans on here, who I think almost to a man (or woman) fall into the long term diehard category.

Who are you to comment on things being run up to a certain standard?

Come on now.  Fly is being incredibly open and civil, no need to get snippy.

• Upvote 6