Brian Childers and Rick Neueisel's take on North Texas on XM Sports Radio

Ben Gooding

I was listening to this channel on my way to lunch today as I usually do. They were talking about last nights game, the firing of Dan McCarney, how great Doughty is, how bad we are, etc. They think and said the same thing as many of us do. They think that winning here is not impossible and they actually both think that it can be done and be done quickly. They commented on our geographical location, recent upgrade in facilities, large student body, etc. They even noted Darrel Dickey's success in the belt in the early 2000's. Neuheisel even stated, "They owned the belt in the early 2000's, they can have similar success in CUSA with the right people in there." 

Rick Neuheisel even went on to say, "Guess who lives 20 minutes from Denton that very well could have interest in the position....Houston Nutt." 

I am not advocating for Houston Nutt, I am saying there are people that think there is a great amount of potential at North Texas, of course, "with the right people in here." I believe that this hire is monumentally important for this program moving forward. There will be very qualified people interested in this position. The "committee" must do their due diligence and ensure that they bring in the perfect candidate. GMG

• Upvote 7

I was listening to this channel on my way to lunch today as I usually do. They were talking about last nights game, the firing of Dan McCarney, how great Doughty is, how bad we are, etc. They think and said the same thing as many of us do. They think that winning here is not impossible and they actually both think that it can be done and be done quickly. They commented on our geographical location, recent upgrade in facilities, large student body, etc. They even noted Darrel Dickey's success in the belt in the early 2000's. Neuheisel even stated, "They owned the belt in the early 2000's, they can have similar success in CUSA with the right people in there." 

Rick Neuheisel even went on to say, "Guess who lives 20 minutes from Denton that very well could have interest in the position....Houston Nutt." 

I am not advocating for Houston Nutt, I am saying there are people that think there is a great amount of potential at North Texas, of course, "with the right people in here." I believe that this hire is monumentally important for this program moving forward. There will be very qualified people interested in this position. The "committee" must do their due diligence and ensure that they bring in the perfect candidate. GMG

I listened to those guys as well. They always do a good job. Childers is a MTSU grad. 

Nutt was wearing a green tie and handkerchief last night on the CBS halftime show. Maybe he was doing some politicking.

Ben points out a good thing. The committee must do their due diligence. No stone unturned type of thing. Guys that are unemployed right now like Nutt why not bring them in for an interview. Why not let a guy like Nutt come in and asses the program? Maybe he doesn't end up being the coach, but maybe he identifies to the committee what needs to be done. Maybe it changes their thinking. 

Im not advocating Nutt though bc I think we need young.  

• Upvote 1

At a glance, he looks good. 135-96.

But looked at more closely, his last two seasons at Ole Miss suggest problems of some sort. He went 9-4 (or close) his first two seasons, then 4-8 and then 2-10. Looks like he couldn't reload on talent from the previous coaches. His time at Arkansas looks better, though. If he comes on board, he might be good as far as having good ties, but his last two seasons at Ole Miss make me wonder if he can reload a recent team.

• Upvote 3

I listened to those guys as well. They always do a good job. Childers is a MTSU grad. 

Nutt was wearing a green tie and handkerchief last night on the CBS halftime show. Maybe he was doing some politicking.

Ben points out a good thing. The committee must do their due diligence. No stone unturned type of thing. Guys that are unemployed right now like Nutt why not bring them in for an interview. Why not let a guy like Nutt come in and asses the program? Maybe he doesn't end up being the coach, but maybe he identifies to the committee what needs to be done. Maybe it changes their thinking. 

Im not advocating Nutt though bc I think we need young.  

And the "committee" running this thing probably needs all of this they can get.

"Here's what I'd do if you hired me..."

The thing that would scare me about Nutt is, he's been off the sidelines for four years.  Now, I know he hasn't forgotten all he knew about football in four years.  But...look, many guys, after they get fired as a head coach, swallow their pride and jump back in as an assistant somewhere.

In my eyes, with the four year layoff, you'd have to wonder whether Nutt has lost the fire in the belly for it.  Maybe he hasn't.  It's just that, you'd have to dig a little further into his psyche, I think, to figure that out than you would with a coordinator in his 30s or 40s.  That may be wrongheaded and borderline age discriminatory type of thinking, but....

The other thing is, again with the four year lay off, how does Nutt really view us?  I don't want the UNT football program to be some retired coach's "hell, I'll give it another shot here; if I fail, who will notice"-type of thing. 

• Upvote 4

The thing that would scare me about Nutt is, he's been off the sidelines for four years.  Now, I know he hasn't forgotten all he knew about football in four years.  But...look, many guys, after they get fired as a head coach, swallow their pride and jump back in as an assistant somewhere.

In my eyes, with the four year layoff, you'd have to wonder whether Nutt has lost the fire in the belly for it.  Maybe he hasn't.  It's just that, you'd have to dig a little further into his psyche, I think, to figure that out than you would with a coordinator in his 30s or 40s.  That may be wrongheaded and borderline age discriminatory type of thinking, but....

The other thing is, again with the four year lay off, how does Nutt really view us?  I don't want the UNT football program to be some retired coach's "hell, I'll give it another shot here; if I fail, who will notice"-type of thing. 

He hasn't lost the fire. Rick Neuheisel and him are buddies. Rick wouldn't even suggest a thing of this nature on national radio if he knew that Houston had lost the fire or if Houston wasn't interested. I think Houston still has the fire and he is interested. 

However, a lot of changes have taken place since he last coached within the landscape of college football in regards to philosophy and even recruiting. I wouldn't beat my head up against the wall if we hired Houston, BUT I would like to hear his plan as far as offensive and defensive philosophies and his recruiting scheme. I am from Arkansas and I know all too well what kind of offensive philosophy he likes to implement. If he tries to tuck his tail and go back to his old ways or even flirts with it in an interview then no way. If he goes with his Matt Jones, McFadden; leave it all on the field and try everything and anything that works kind of coaching then I am all for him. Because I am uncertain of what he is right now in 2015 I would personally probably avoid hiring him unless his interview shines light on something unforeseen. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 3

I didn't know Nutt lived in Dallas.

Last year, he said of the SMU job, "If offered the SMU job, I would take it because I live down in this area. It's a good job."

https://twitter.com/RJHawk/status/509676763908042753

So it's pretty clear he'd be interested in UNT if the school was interested in him. Given his pedigree, won-loss record and desire to be in DFW, it would be stupid not to bring him in for an interview.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I want a coach with a winning record and someone who is on the upswing.  Fire is also important and that is why someone like Cristobal gets me intrigued.  Nutt, Brown other coaches that are older don't bother me because of age, they concern me because of drive.  You have to have a level of intensity to deal with what you are about to inherit at UNT.  I say go for an up and comer with some proven success and wants to prove something.  It will be competitive out there and UNT needs to step up to the plate.  I also want the new AD involved in this process so we start clean and aligned without any kardashian drama in the office.

GMG

No re-tread damn it! Hire someone that has recruited in the state of Texas recently and has ties to Texas high school football. How about that Briles kid??? 

Absolutely to Kendall Briles. He is my personal top choice. I didn't create this thread to advocate for Houston Nutt, at all. I created this thread because there are national talking heads that think North Texas can be a special place and I wanted to share that with MGN. There are people out there outside of our little bubble that sees all of the same potential that we do. 

If Kendall Briles isn't interviewed and taken serious then this is a bigger dumpster fire than I had ever imagined. After the hire is made I would really like to see a list of potential candidates they narrowed down from and candidates that we actually interviewed.