Would You Give Canales A 1 Year Chance

El Paso Eagle

No.  After watching the game last night, no.  Do the kids have more energy?  Yes.  But, they are are same players - that he helped recruit and coach.

We have nothing at quarterback, receiver, on the line, on offense.  We've got nothing, anywhere, on defense.  Our safeties lead the conference in tackles...but, that's indicative of nothing but how bad the front seven is.  And, they are torched in pass defense.

I like Chico.  But, sitting out there last night...I like Mike, but it's the same team.  We are woefully bereft of talent. 

The truth is, WKU could have named their score against us last night.  They showed great restraint in not hanging 70+ on us.  They packed it up in the third quarter, and had third teamers in by the end of the game.

Amazing how far the drop has been over the past two seasons.  And, outside of kicker and punter, at every position on the team.  It's a mess.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

No.  After watching the game last night, no.  Do the kids have more energy?  Yes.  But, they are are same players - that he helped recruit and coach.

We have nothing at quarterback, receiver, on the line, on offense.  We've got nothing, anywhere, on defense.  Our safeties lead the conference in tackles...but, that's indicative of nothing but how bad the front seven is.  And, they are torched in pass defense.

I like Chico.  But, sitting out there last night...I like Mike, but it's the same team.  We are woefully bereft of talent. 

The truth is, WKU could have named their score against us last night.  They showed great restraint in not hanging 70+ on us.  They packed it up in the third quarter, and had third teamers in by the end of the game.

Amazing how far the drop has been over the past two seasons.  And, outside of kicker and punter, at every position on the team.  It's a mess.   

There is D1 talent scattered throughout the team. Roderick Young, Tee Goree, Tillman Johnson, Kaydon Kirby, Kishawn Mcclain, Jareid Combs, Jeff Wilson, Carlos Harris and D Smith and in my honest opinion that is it. These are the players that could be inserted into 90% of rosters in CUSA and see significant playing time and/or start. Teams are finding holes away from these players in our roster and are exploiting those areas on O and D. hence our 50-17 average score. There is D1 talent on this roster though, that is for sure. The problem is...there just isn't much of it. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Would you be supportive if Canales was given next year to see what he could do?

No. You gotta give a new coach enough contract years for players, recruits and the fan base to have confidence in him. A coach given a provisional deal like that would be at too much of a disadvantage.

• Upvote 1

There is D1 talent scattered throughout the team. Roderick Young, Tee Goree, Tillman Johnson, Kaydon Kirby, Kishawn Mcclain, Jareid Combs, Jeff Wilson, Carlos Harris and D Smith and in my honest opinion that is it. These are the players that could be inserted into 90% of rosters in CUSA and see significant playing time and/or start. Teams are finding holes away from these players in our roster and are exploiting those areas on O and D. hence our 50-17 average score. There is D1 talent on this roster though, that is for sure. The problem is...there just isn't much of it. 

I agree.  I just don't see as much of it as you do.  The series last night that did me in with Smith was the three straight incompletions where he:

-On first down, throws the ball into the ground on a wide open slant
-On second down, overthrows the receiver and almost has the ball intercepted, on what looked like the exact same slant call
-On third down, threw to the receiver whose corner had safety help over the top and had the pass broke up

The balls he throws for distance hang in the air way too long.  Most are wobbly.  The shorter throws, he has no touch on - all throw very hard. He's not all that accurate, and has no touch.  And, doesn't seem to be able to read where the safeties are.  He fumbles the ball a ton. 

None of this is to say anyone else on the roster is better.  It's just to say that, if this is improvement, we need a couple of new QBs as well as with the new coach next year. 

Somebody else already posted what he did against WKU's ones.  I know that before WKU went up 35-7, he was something like 4 for 16.  I mean, I'm happy he did better against their twos and threes.  But...it's a long leap of faith for me to say he's an FBS.  Many colleges need quarterbacks...and, we didn't have much competition for him when he came out of JUCO.  That's all I'm saying.  Coaches watch a lot more film than just youtube highlight clips. 

Many of the others you named had more FCS offers than FBS offers.  Like with our quarterbacks, I'm certain they would all be All-Conference-type players at FCS schools...perhaps even the current version of the Sun Belt.   Like with Combs, it lists us and Texas State.

Okay...we all agree that we didn't believe than with Dan MCarney, we'd still be fighting with Texas State for recruits after five years.  But, that's what it came down to.  And, that's why we are in the position we are in now at every position except kicker and punter.  And, by golly, we've got TWO punters!

Yes....but.......only if  Canales wins some games and you can't find the guy you want.

In that scenario he might turn out to be the guy you want after one full season.

Portland crushed us with a one year interum hire. 

Who knows, Canales might be our Bruce Barnum.

The only game we have a chance at winning is the UTEP game.  They are the only school remaining whose QB situation is as screwed up as ours...but, we get them at home.  So...advantage us.