So is it safe to say

MGNation92

Ummm paycheck???

I get it, you wanna blame Chico for the offense...reality just doesn't support it

There you go, he was so good he was on the edge of being a master Head Coach, and then stays as a lowly UNT OC for 5 years so that Mac can handcuff him and not let him play his strategy? And does not look for a new job? Really I mean Really? I

I get it you like the guy, and you over look his faults. For instance even is his fabulous games as interim HC  after Dodge his team gave up over 40 points 3 of his 5 games where as Dodge highest was 35 points against Clemson.Tonight he had nothing to lose tonight and opened it. He had more energy because of a rebound from a fired coach. It makes me nauseous how fast people around here grab on to mediocrity. But the score was still 28 - 55 and 14 of the points we scored were trash points against the third string. Not to say I wanted Mac to stay or Dodge, I did not.  There is much better out there 

Chico has not recruited, he has not prepared the offense he has not developed a QB, and he did all this to give me a reason to blame him.  

Edited by KingDL1

I don't think you need to fear that Chico will be hired here long term. However, I believe he will make a good HC someday. Just not here. He has taken on the team twice now when it was/is in total disarray and coached/motivated the team to play better.  I liked what I saw from Chico last night, but the timing for him is not there. Nevertheless, I think he is a fine coach.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 2

I see a lot of talk about Chico's recruiting. How much freedom do assistants have in recruiting?

I absolutely think McCarney handcuffed the offense. If he'll handcuff the offense, why wouldn't he handcuff the recruiting to players that he thinks will fit his offense?

I also see a lot about QB development falling under Chico. They brought in fairly well thought of jucos and another raw but talented kid. How much of a chance was Chico given to develop these QBs if McCarney kept shoving McNulty down his throat?

Whats the first thing Chico did when it was only his decision? He pulled McNulty and started Smith. 

I don't know if I'm totally bought in on Chico but I do wonder what he'll do some day when he has his own program.....

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1

I wish Dan the best but not playing our best QB has really hurt us this season.  we have to hope that DaMarcus can get better but it will be hard now that he has lost half a season.

Chico was coaching up Smith every time he came over to the side line after a series, mistakes or not.  Chico's trying to pull him up. I think Smith might be up to the task as he seemed to get a little bit better with each series.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you need to fear that Chico will be hired here long term. However, I believe he will make a good HC someday. Just not here. He has taken on the team twice now when it was/is in total disarray and coached/motivated the team to play better.  I liked what I saw from Chico last night, but the timing for him is not there. Nevertheless, I think he is a fine coach.

GO MEAN GREEN!

55-14 before WKU put in there 4th team is better?

WKU was completely uninterested in that game and scored 55. 

Chico doesn't recruit, hasn't developed a QB, and coached another shitty offense last night. I don't care where he ends up, as long as it isn't back at UNT.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Chico has held the line that DSmith wasnt ready to play every chance he has had to talk about it. So regardless of whose fault it was - that is in the past now and it cost Mac his job. Chico wont be the next HC - so what point is there trying to figure out whose fault the past was when Mac already took the bullet. Lets just hope Chico can continue to develop the talent we have moving forward and get the team to keep playing hard. Our biggest problems are on the defense now anyhow. 

the recruiting thing is interesting. we talk about how bad recruiting was for chico, but as soon as he got the job, multiple big time area coaches gave him a public shout out on twitter as a friend of txhsfb coaches... lots of mixed messages there. 

Chico has held the line that DSmith wasnt ready to play every chance he has had to talk about it. So regardless of whose fault it was - that is in the past now and it cost Mac his job. Chico wont be the next HC - so what point is there trying to figure out whose fault the past was when Mac already took the bullet. Lets just hope Chico can continue to develop the talent we have moving forward and get the team to keep playing hard. Our biggest problems are on the defense now anyhow. 

Watching the game last night, Chico is correct that DSmith is not yet ready, but he is the best we have. Working with the first team full time he should improve but he has a long, long way to go. When Smith started running it worked at first but after WKY starting watching for it not as much. Smith looked better passing as the night went on but don't forget as the night went on WKY brought in 2nd and 3rd stringers. I don't think they had a starter for defense on the field for most of our last two TD drives. Had Smith started from the beginning of the year he would be better at this point but I doubt our win/loss record would be any different. We would have scored more points but still lost the same games. It's going to be painful, but we are building for next year and just hope for one and maybe two wins this year. 

Chico would be a nice head coach at a FCS school, a place where FBS QBs can find their way there for various circumstances. But saying you were the OC for this squad will not even get you an interview with most ADs across the country for any open vacancies--hell, most head coaches probably won't give him much of a chance to interview for any openings as OC or QB coach after these last few seasons.

This entire staff will be gone very soon. And a lot of players will be gone, too...

This thing has to be completely purged at the highest points on the UNT Football totem pole. McCarney and McNulty are gone. Soon, it will be the rest of the staff, as well. The AD should be gone, too, but that is somehow up in the air, amazingly. It won't surprise me if the starting QB next season might not even be Damarcus Smith or even anyone that is here right now as a QB.

I see a lot of talk about Chico's recruiting. How much freedom do assistants have in recruiting?

I absolutely think McCarney handcuffed the offense. If he'll handcuff the offense, why wouldn't he handcuff the recruiting to players that he thinks will fit his offense?

I also see a lot about QB development falling under Chico. They brought in fairly well thought of jucos and another raw but talented kid. How much of a chance was Chico given to develop these QBs if McCarney kept shoving McNulty down his throat?

Whats the first thing Chico did when it was only his decision? He pulled McNulty and started Smith. 

I don't know if I'm totally bought in on Chico but I do wonder what he'll do some day when he has his own program.....

The Head Coach has the overall call but once they decide on a guy, he didnt hit the pavement and win recruiting battles. He's never developed any QB the entire time hes been here if he has, please feel free to give us some examples.

Chico took out McNutty and put Smith in because he had nothing to lose. The team was 0-5 and he needed to change something to get the offense/team/fans recharged and excited about UNT football. There was no where to go but up after the catastrophe of what I like to call Hurricane McNulty.

Im sure Chico will do a great job with his own program but It better not be here. People make threats of not renewing their tickets, well if Chico is hired as our head football coach I will walk away from this program until RV is dead and buried career wise.

• Upvote 1

I think every time we got into WKU territory we scored a touchdown, so our offense executed better for sure. What I was pissed about is that we had 50 seconds left in the half with all of our timeouts and we were going to be content with going into the locker room down 27. Yeah, I know we got the ball back to start the second half but with our defense that was a rare opportunity to score 14 straight points.

I think every time we got into WKU territory we scored a touchdown, so our offense executed better for sure. What I was pissed about is that we had 50 seconds left in the half with all of our timeouts and we were going to be content with going into the locker room down 27. Yeah, I know we got the ball back to start the second half but with our defense that was a rare opportunity to score 14 straight points.

You do realize Smith threw a 50 yard bomb for a TD before half right? Time management sucked before half, but they moved the ball enough to be in a position to take a shot and it worked

Edited by MGNation92

I think the point of what we saw last night was exactly that.. Chico was no longer handcuffed to a QB who doesn't fit his scheme? We saw a QB with little game experience and a lot of athletic ability make Chico's system work. Demarcus Smith made some mistakes of course, but the his play-making ability made an obvious impact. Imagine what can be done next season with that kid at QB, having game experience under his belt and a full summer to learn Chico's offense? Last night suggested to me that Chico's offense can work. I was encouraged by what looked like progress at times and some very good plays were made by D-Marc. If North Texas had a defensive player who could tackle we would have been in that game and been competitive. Now, honestly I am on record as wanting Coach Briles for the next Mean Green Head Coach. I still believe Chico would do well as OC with a talent like Smith at QB. My major concern in regards to Coach Canales has been "dead-horsed" on this board for over a month now. Recruiting deficiencies make running a fast-paced offense very difficult. I think we would need a coach with skins on the wall to sell the Mean Green vision to that level of talented high school kids. Still, we cant overlook the positives from last night. Coach Canales gets a B+ for what I saw. We have a Defensive Coordinator who gets an F, and should get a one-way bus ticket out of town.

GMG!!!

You do realize Smith threw a 50 yard bomb for a TD before half right? Time management sucked before half, but they moved the ball enough to be in a position to take a shot and it worked

That's why I said they were "going to be content". I was there for the whole game. I know what happened. And it wasn't until Jeffery Wilson got us to our 45 with like 11 seconds left that we chose to use a timeout. I credit Wilson on that drive because without that run, whoever's calling the plays just runs out the clock and goes to the locker room.

That's why I said they were "going to be content". I was there for the whole game. I know what happened. And it wasn't until Jeffery Wilson got us to our 45 with like 11 seconds left that we chose to use a timeout. I credit Wilson on that drive because without that run, whoever's calling the plays just runs out the clock and goes to the locker room.

Ah, good point. I misunderstood what you meant. Wilson was solid all game, and the read option was working really well 

• Upvote 1