North Texas interim coach: 'I'd never seen anything like that in 30 years'

Harry

“Talking with Coach McCarney on the phone, we weren’t executing in any area of football,” Canales said. “I’d never seen anything like that in 30 years of coaching, had never experienced that. We’ve had bad nights. … I never saw it coming. None of us did. It’s unfortunate that it happened on homecoming, with all our fans here, and we felt like we let them down and let Coach Mac down as a staff, because we work so hard as a staff. We do.

“To have that that happen is unexplainable. I can’t put my thumb on it and say, ‘This is the reason it happened.' I can’t give you that answer. I know it happened, and I know what we can do now.”

read more:  http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=North-Texas-interim-coach-Id-never-seen-anything-like-that-in-30-years-of-coaching

That's just it.  For 20 year olds to quit says a lot:

1. The situation was beyond toxic.

2. Character of the players is now questioned.

you can't walk back a quit job.  You can only redeem yourself.  These kids need to rebound or the real world is going to really spit them out onto the pavement in a not so friendly way.  They tarnished the name of a great university without feeling or emotion.  Wow that's serial like.

now take it out on western.  I want red blob splatter all over apogee. 

GMG 

• Upvote 3

So, we have the same coach in his second stint as interm head coach after 2 different head coaches are fired? 

Only at UNT.

I bet this has never happened in modern college football. Ever.

But, hey, we are all about laughing stock records with this program, so why not?

“Talking with Coach McCarney on the phone, we weren’t executing in any area of football,” Canales said. “I’d never seen anything like that in 30 years of coaching, had never experienced that. We’ve had bad nights. … I never saw it coming. None of us did. It’s unfortunate that it happened on homecoming, with all our fans here, and we felt like we let them down and let Coach Mac down as a staff, because we work so hard as a staff. We do.

“To have that that happen is unexplainable. I can’t put my thumb on it and say, ‘This is the reason it happened.' I can’t give you that answer. I know it happened, and I know what we can do now.”

read more:  http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=North-Texas-interim-coach-Id-never-seen-anything-like-that-in-30-years-of-coaching

I can, coach.

You failed to recruit. Specifically, you personally have failed to recruit and develop an FBS QB during your tenure at UNT. 

Stop pretending it's some big mystery, it isn't.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I have some major complaints about my experience visiting my local 7-11 and the customer service I experienced there. Going to start a message board about it. It is unacceptable the way that company is going, someone needs to hear about it. 

I know I am not a architect, Doctor, weatherman, lawyer, nor do I think I could ever do those jobs. But everyone seems to think they are and could be a great football coach. 

GMG

Edited by CaliMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 9

Seems the players made a conscious and communicated effort to cause change. It's an understandable if not altogether less-than-desirable strategy. It was a chaotic storm of a fix but something had to be done. And it worked although we're left standing in a heap of broken boards, bricks, and dust. The one remaining damaged wall still standing also has to come down before the rebuild begins and we can only hope that the adults in charge make the right decision. I wish no ill toward the Athletic Director but, we must make the change. Very. Soon.

• Upvote 2

I have some major complaints about my experience visiting my local 7-11 and the customer service I experienced there. Going to start a message board about it. It is unacceptable the way that company is going, someone needs to hear about it. 

I know I am not a architect, Doctor, weatherman, lawyer, nor do I think I could ever do those jobs. But everyone seems to think they are and could be a great football coach. 

GMG

I don't, I think I'd be horrible at it. Not doing something doesn't mean you don't have the right to be critical of the job others have done. If your doctor screws something up you better believe you'll be issuing a complaint somewhere, whether or not you could have done it yourself. One thing about coaching is it is easy to quantify results, it's called the record. 

• Upvote 2

I can, coach.

You failed to recruit. Specifically, you personally have failed to recruit and develop an FBS QB during your tenure at UNT. 

Stop pretending it's some big mystery, it isn't.

Let's reserve judgment until we see what #10 can do in Canales' offense without #5 being crammed down our throat and Mac tempering the playbook.

• Upvote 3

I'll bet you have an opinion on how your doctor and lawyer are doing, though. You don't passively accept everything they say like a sheep.

It doesn't take a genius at football to know that a 66-7 beating in a paycheck game is a problem when you're writing the check.

• Upvote 1

Again:

BTW:  I think "toilet flushing directly into your face out of a shower head" is the perfect analogy for what I had to sit through against Portland State.  

More like getting T-boned on Bonnie Brae by the Port-o-Potty truck and then having the Carter Blood Care bus hit whats left of your car. Yep, bloody diarrhea pretty much sums up the current state of UNT football.

• Upvote 1

GMG

Would you say Chico's offense was 'held back' by McCarney?   I'd love to hear your opinion, being just another regular fan like the rest of us, you know.

• Upvote 1

Would you say Chico's offense was 'held back' by McCarney?   I'd love to hear your opinion, being just another regular fan like the rest of us, you know.

Yes, I honestly believe Chico's offense was held back from McCarney's conservative approach. I mean let's face it, who in the world would want to be an offensive coordinator under Mac? Even if we don't win any of the remaining games, we will at least see some spark on the offensive side of the ball.

If the players did collectively decide to quit before this game, forcing the hands of the university to make the change at head coach, doesn't it reinforce that this team's character--this is directly on the players now--is about as poor as you can get? I mean, Mac needed to go--no question about it, if you lose an entire locker room, basically, you can't coach another day. But that collective decision just cost the university $3 million dollars. To me, whoever gets this job next, has carte blanche to basically run off whoever he wants at this point. You can argue that every new coach gets that benefit, but sometimes, we see fans get upset when a new coach comes in and lets go of some of the guys that were on the team before. What I'm saying is that the new coach shouldn't hear one word from any of us when he lets go of the folks on this team that have proven they will quit when times get tough. Players get full scholarships and now COA--they are basically quitting on their employer and the alumni who support them.

It won't bother one iota if the majority of this bunch got run off by the next coaching staff--and hopefully, a new AD to support them.

• Upvote 5

Yes, I honestly believe Chico's offense was held back from McCarney's conservative approach. I mean let's face it, who in the world would want to be an offensive coordinator under Mac? Even if we don't win any of the remaining games, we will at least see some spark on the offensive side of the ball.

Your opinion is a little too regular.  I'd like to hear from @CaliMeanGreen.

• Upvote 2

GMG

it's quite clear there are no great college football coaches at UNT, be it on staff or in the fan base.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Based on reading some old posts by someone that may've had inside info, I think Dajon was Canales guy and would've started for us in 2014 from the get-go if he had taken care of business over the summer. That is very disappointing to me. Regardless, Dajon was clearly more talented than Greer and Mini and could've led us to more than 2 wins over the final six games last year.

It also seems that Smith is a Canales guy as well and that Mac clung to his Mini security blanket instead of letting a player play. I think the next 7 weeks will be very interesting.

GMG

Oh hey, Christopher and/or Dakota.

• Upvote 3

I can tell you the problem and Cali you can tell your dad or uncle, whatever. I am sure he probably knows what happened, but in this case it was the AD's fault. They some how let it slip that Mac was to be fired long before the game, regardless of outcome of the football game. I don't know when the AD planned to announce this officially most assumed that it would be this Friday. But the word on Mac made social media by around 11:00am last Saturday. So you can bet the team knew about it at least 4 hour before the game if not longer. 

The looked in almost in shock as they  walked the mean green walk, they were scattered and out of wack.  I imagine that the idea of going into that game realizing all your coaches would most likely be gone at the end of the season was something they were not prepared for yet. Just another reason our AD should be fired. I wish Coach Canales the best,  sorry he had to deal with this horrible faux pas of our AD.