Darrell Dickey

EAGLE83

You are joking, but I would bring back Dodge way before Dickey.   Dodge was definitely not ready for the "big time", but Dickey killed his own program with his "too good to be here attitude", insulting behavior and lazy recruiting.  

I'd agree with this. Todd Dodge actually learned something over his time here. He got better, not worse, and it had zero to do with a conference change.

I don't think Dickey learned anything but how to do the opposite of coach speak.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like Coach Dickey and enjoyed watching his teams play but bringing him back would not be the right thing to do.

UNT90 I am surprised that you are not heading up the Hire Dickey campaign.   Under the umbrella of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" Coach Dickey's return might be more than RV could stand.   If he were forced to hire Coach Dickey RV might just quit.    No buyout.....no golden parachute.....just gone.    If you want to know of a place to get bumper stickers printed up let me know.

• Upvote 3

Well, we've done the "hire the HS coach twice" and didn't learn anything from it. Why not? You hear all the time about people who marry and divorce and then re-marry later....after a few marriage "misadventures" in between. 

The more I talk about it, the more it really sounds like us................................................

Our new motto "North Texas, nothing's too weird for us". 

Can someone translate that into Latin?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

I'd agree with this. Todd Dodge actually learned something over his time here. He got better, not worse, and it had zero to do with a conference change.

I don't think Dickey learned anything but how to do the opposite of coach speak.

Really?

Dodge in his best year he went 2-10.

He was scoring an average of 17 pts a game and was 1-6 when he was fired.

Canales averaged 34 pts a game over the last five games that year and went 2-3.

Dickey went 3-9 his last year beating smu 24-6.

We went 9-4 beating Baylor 52 -14 in 2003

I think his best year was 2002 when we went 8-5 with a bowl win.

He opened the season with 4 of the first 5 games on the road at Texas, Alabama, TCU, and Arizona.

The most points given up in a game that year was 33 at Alabama.

He's now  OC at 5-0 Memphis and averaging 48 points per game.

Would he even be interested in coming back.  

No way in hell.  He's happy where he's at.

• Upvote 4

Really?

Dodge in his best year he went 2-10.

He was scoring an average of 17 pts a game and was 1-6 when he was fired.

Canales averaged 34 pts a game over the last five games that year and went 2-3.

Dickey went 3-9 his last year beating smu 24-6.

We went 9-4 beating Baylor 52 -14 in 2003

I think his best year was 2002 when we went 8-5 with a bowl win.

He opened the season with 4 of the first 5 games on the road at Texas, Alabama, TCU, and Arizona.

The most points given up in a game that year was 33 at Alabama.

He's now  OC at 5-0 Memphis and averaging 48 points per game.

Would he even be interested in coming back.  

No way in hell.  He's happy where he's at.

If you'd read my post again, you would find that I never said Dodge had a better tenure here or that Dickey didn't have winning seasons. What I said is this, Dodge was getting better on his way out. He just didn't get better fast enough. Dickey was getting worse on his way out, much worse.

Would you agree that Dodge's 2010 season was better than his '07 and '08 seasons? Would you also agree that Dickey's '05 and '06 seasons were much worse than his '01-'04 seasons? 

Edited by Cr1028

" Dickey killed his own program with his "too good to be here attitude", insulting behavior and lazy recruiting. "

Dickey irritated a lot of $100 a year donors who thought he should kiss their butts.  Tough.   Coach Dickey won more than any NT coach since Hayden Fry.  He's not the right coach for UNT today, but to denigrate his contributions to our university is silly.

• Upvote 6

" Dickey killed his own program with his "too good to be here attitude", insulting behavior and lazy recruiting. "

Dickey irritated a lot of $100 a year donors who thought he should kiss their butts.  Tough.   Coach Dickey won more than any NT coach since Hayden Fry.  He's not the right coach for UNT today, but to denigrate his contributions to our university is silly.

You might want look up the records, but either way Dickey is not coming back I don't think we could pay him enough, we want to move up, RV and him would be in an instant death-match now that would be entertaining. 

Corky Nelson
Matt Simon
Dan McCarney

All had better winning records than Dickey since Hayden Fry, in fact Dickey had the worst winning percentage in school history with more than 3 years as HC, well until Dodge took over he is the worst period regardless of years as HC. Oh wait THANK YOU RV!

http://website.informer.com/visit?domain=cfbdatawarehouse.com

Good lord. We are arguing over Dickey vs Dodge. That's like arguing over whether Justin Bieber or One Direction is worse for tasteful music. We could prop up the corpse of Theron Fouts and win more games then those two. Shoot me now.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 4

Good lord. We are arguing over Dickey vs Dodge. That's like arguing over whether Justin Bieber or One Direction is worse for tasteful music. We could prop up the corpse of Theron Fouts and win more games then those two. Shoot me now.

Now there's a thought.  Theron Fouts also had winning records as head basketball coach and baseball coach.   We could solve 3 problems at once.

He might not accept since we're demolished his stadium.

However, if Justin Bieber were our head coach, the opening game would be a sure sell out.

Since he never went to college, he should have 4 years of eligability left.............QB?

HE COULD BE OUR FIRST PLAYER/COACH!

Sorry, I kinda went off on a tangent.

You might want look up the records, but either way Dickey is not coming back I don't think we could pay him enough, we want to move up, RV and him would be in an instant death-match now that would be entertaining. 

Corky Nelson
Matt Simon
Dan McCarney

All had better winning records than Dickey since Hayden Fry, in fact Dickey had the worst winning percentage in school history with more than 3 years as HC, well until Dodge took over he is the worst period regardless of years as HC. Oh wait THANK YOU RV!

http://website.informer.com/visit?domain=cfbdatawarehouse.com

How about - won more conference championships, won more conference coach-of-the-year awards.

• Upvote 1

How about - won more conference championships, won more conference coach-of-the-year awards.

Look at that record. The only thing that saved Dickey's ass was the conference change. Look at the conference record in the Big West vs Sun Belt. Dickey didn't suddenly become a better coach, he face worse competition. If the Big West hadn't stopped playing football in 2000, Dickey would've been fired in 2001 and there would've been no bowls or conference championships. I hate how Dickey is held on a pedestal here for simply being in the right place at the right time. Oh but he beat Baylor, you know when he didn't beat Baylor? In 1999 when they went 1-10 and lost to every team on their schedule but us(including UNLV who went 3-9 and also beat us). We ran a weak conference until Troy and FAU showed up. Yes, he won but it was more due to the situation than the coaching ability. Todd Dodge could've coached us to a winning record in the Pre-Troy/FAU Sun Belt too.

Head coaching record[edit]

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffs
North Texas Mean Green (Big West Conference) (1998–2000)
1998North Texas3–83–2T–2nd 
1999North Texas2–91–57th 
2000North Texas3–81–4T–3rd 
North Texas Mean Green (Sun Belt Conference) (2001–2006)
2001North Texas5–75–11stL New Orleans
2002North Texas8–56–01stW New Orleans
2003North Texas9–47–01stL New Orleans
2004North Texas7–57–01stL New Orleans
2005North Texas2–92–57th 
2006North Texas3–92–57th 
North Texas:42–6434–22 
Total:42–64 

National championship         Conference title         Conference division title

Class Act all they way, which Denton-area middle school were we playing that day?

X00017_9.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Look at that record. The only thing that saved Dickey's ass was the conference change. Look at the conference record in the Big West vs Sun Belt. Dickey didn't suddenly become a better coach, he face worse competition. If the Big West hadn't stopped playing football in 2000, Dickey would've been fired in 2001 and there would've been no bowls or conference championships. I hate how Dickey is held on a pedestal here for simply being in the right place at the right time. Oh but he beat Baylor, you know when he didn't beat Baylor? In 1999 when they went 1-10 and lost to every team on their schedule but us(including UNLV who went 3-9 and also beat us). We ran a weak conference until Troy and FAU showed up. Yes, he won but it was more due to the situation than the coaching ability. Todd Dodge could've coached us to a winning record in the Pre-Troy/FAU Sun Belt too.

1999North Texas2–91–57th 
2005North Texas2–92–57th 
2006North Texas3–92–57th 

National championship         Conference title         Conference division title

Class Act all they way, which Denton-area middle school were we playing that day?

X00017_9.jpg

Not defending Dickey, but we were just climbing out of 1AA during the Big West years. Not many teams make that jump without some ugliness.

• Upvote 1

1999North Texas2–91–57th 
2005North Texas2–92–57th 
2006North Texas3–92–57th 

X00017_9.jpg

Hutch Black Jersey Night in full effect here under the Dickster...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's now 2015.  

Dickey is now OC/AHC at Memphis who went 10-3 last year, won their bowl, and ended ranked in both the final AP & the Coaches Poll.

They are now 5-0, ranked, and scoring 48 points per game.

After winning 4 straight championships and being named Sunbelt coach of the year for 4 straight years he had 2 losing seasons (while having some serious health issues as I recall), and he is still being debated on this forum,

Wow.  That horse is deceased.  Take the saddle off of it, throw some dirt on it,  and move on.

• Upvote 1

Bringing Dickey back would guarantee that Rick V is gone, because it would only happen over his dead body, or over his fired body.

That would be very efficient - two birds with one stone, so to speak.

:Yes:

It was a ridiculous question but we are discussing it only because we are at UNT.  A big time university with small time athletic mentality.  This question is very symbolic of that mentality That, is what Darell Dickey was complaining about. It seem that many boosters what a coach to coach like Saban and get paid like a first time college head coach jumping up from the high school ranks.  UNT Alumni (speaking to myself also) there is something rotten here and it not all the unsold food leftover from the Thursday night game at Apogee.  Well over 90% of current students and alumni don't give a crap about the athletic department.  If only 10% (25k) of North Texas Alumni living DFW and surrounding areas came games and 15% (6k)  of current students came to games Apogee would be sold out every week.  We debate about hiring an OC from a FCS program or  hiring a big name coach that will leave as soon as he has 2 good seasons.  WTF that doesn't sound like a university with the resources UNT has.  TCU is a small private college and look at them.  It is not just the money the alumni has because UNT alumni have just as much.  Maybe not individual mega rich donors but collectively when you count 250k plus of us.  So Dickey may have had a bad attitude but I don't blame him.  Also Dickey lost his heir apparent QB in a tragic car accident also.  But who cares about 4 straight conference championships?  As long as students and alumni act like UNT is some kind of backwater school when it comes to athletics and expect them to hire Nick Saban for 500k year this program is going to be mediocre.   You need to change the entire culture for UNT Sports.  We started that process by getting the facilities now it time to get the personnel to match and that is NOT  having RV as your AD or these FCS HCs, FBS Coordinators (that aren't at a powerhouse program like an Alabama, Texas A&M, Florida, LSU, Ohio State because I would take one of them in a heartbeat) as your new head coach.  Keep Chico if you aren't serious and it is clear to me that they aren't and just want to be mediocre and win a CUSA west division every 10 years or so.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1