MGB: UNT lands highly rated Texas player

Brett Vito

Benford was a disaster hire. I dropped my season tickets because it was so frustrating. He didn't know how to run a program.

But, I will admit that he is getting better as a coach. The team last year was better organized and played better as a team even considering the fact he had less talent than what he started with because he was so terrible to start.

He wasn't ready for the job when he took it, and we've been paying him to learn how to do it. I think he is learning how, but I've know idea if he will ever be a good coach, or more importantly, a good one while we are paying him.

• Upvote 4

With this kind of recruiting, we are shoe-ins to be ranked in the top 247 to start next year!

Well I would say we have done a good job filling up our scholarships with young talent. I am just happy we are tapping Texas high school talent. We have one scholarship left and hopefully Thomas can get academically eligible. 

If we have learned anything with Benford, it's that there is no way to predict how many scholarships are "left"...

• Upvote 1

he has this year to prove what he can do. Undersized and a weak schedule. We shall see. He is great with recruits and does hold them to high standards.

He should not have this year, he is what he is, a great recruiter and a TERRIBLE HC. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He should not have this year, he is what he is, a great recruiter and a TERRIBLE HC. 

he was given another year. With football in shambles we might as well enjoy the ride in basketball. It doesn't look promising, but each year the team chemistry and play has improved. I like the you Texas recruits. If Wesley had worked out we would have a good chunk of young Texas talent in our sophomore and junior class. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

That has 0 effect on his coaching ability. There will be no ride except the same one McCarney got after game 5.

He is improving, but he knows with Mac gone his seat is definitely hot. If they win 20 plus games again and make the finals in the conference tourney he should get another year. That's a big if anyway. Just want to see what the team has.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't see how Benford should be called a great recruiter. He is an average recruiter in my opinion. 

I am not sure that I'd agree, his classes have been comparable to JJ's only difference is he either runs them off or they don't make it to campus.  I suppose I see your point though. 

• Upvote 1

I am not sure that I'd agree, his classes have been comparable to JJ's only difference is he either runs them off or they don't make it to campus.  I suppose I see your point though. 

His transfers in are mostly of the one year variety or not very good (Keith Coleman). He just can't get more than a couple of HS kids on campus and in the games. The entire roster is his and there are zero preseason all conference players.

JJ's last few classes had some serious talent and more of his transfers turned out to be good (or very good-great) players. Think of guys like Wooden, Tramiel, Odufuwa. Jordan was a very good HS recruit along with CJ.

I wouldn't call him a great recruiter, but will think that the is good if the new signees and  Reese turn out as advertised.

They are not signees (yet), merely verbal commits. 

• Upvote 5

His transfers in are mostly of the one year variety or not very good (Keith Coleman). He just can't get more than a couple of HS kids on campus and in the games. The entire roster is his and there are zero preseason all conference players.

JJ's last few classes had some serious talent and more of his transfers turned out to be good (or very good-great) players. Think of guys like Wooden, Tramiel, Odufuwa. Jordan was a very good HS recruit along with CJ.

They are not signees (yet), merely verbal commits. 

I'm referring to Brice, Brown, Fuller and Holston, who are already here and on the team. The commits are just gravy. Future looking good for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Benford has make significant improvements every year.  Many will never forgive him for messing up the most talent assembled by NT in decades, but that is in the past.

I am not advocating that Benford stays if he doesn't have a real good year, but am waiting to see what he puts on the court this year.   The front court is really suspect and someone is going to have to come through to take some of the pressure of Combs.

As far as recruiting; I don't like the high turnover style but probably the majority of teams now do the same thing.  It is not like football, in basketball; it's pretty much substantially contribute or your gone.  In three years, imo he has only hit on a couple of recruits Combs and Voss.  Judging by his stated evaluations of his additions, he is not a very good judge of talent at all.  Having said that I like his two commits and his freshmen this year.   Brice is definitely a project, but he is a big 7' one.  

• Upvote 3

Benford has make significant improvements every year.  Many will never forgive him for messing up the most talent assembled by NT in decades, but that is in the past.

I am not advocating that Benford stays if he doesn't have a real good year, but am waiting to see what he puts on the court this year.   The front court is really suspect and someone is going to have to come through to take some of the pressure of Combs.

As far as recruiting; I don't like the high turnover style but probably the majority of teams now do the same thing.  It is not like football, in basketball; it's pretty much substantially contribute or your gone.  In three years, imo he has only hit on a couple of recruits Combs and Voss.  Judging by his stated evaluations of his additions, he is not a very good judge of talent at all.  Having said that I like his two commits and his freshmen this year.   Brice is definitely a project, but he is a big 7' one.  

I agree to a point, however some of that "talent" was fatally flawed regardless of who the coach was.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1