Craven: UNT in its current position because of recruiting failures

Fry Guy

"North Texas' football program reached a new low over the weekend when head coach Dan McCarney was relieved of his duties following a historically bad loss to Portland State. The 66-7 loss was the worst loss an FBS program has suffered to an FCS opponent in NCAA history. The game was bad enough, even before it being UNT's homecoming game was factored in to the equation."

Read Article : http://www.texasfootball.com/craven-unt-in-its-current-position-because-of-recruiting-failures/

I have been more concerned than just about anyone about our recruiting over the last 5 years.  With that said, we did not get blown out in that game because of recruiting.  The players quit.  They quit before the game even started. They did not want to play for Dan McCarney any more.  They did not believe anymore.  They just did not care anymore. 

• Upvote 6

I have been more concerned than just about anyone about our recruiting over the last 5 years.  With that said, we did not get blown out in that game because of recruiting.  The players quit.  They quit before the game even started. They did not want to play for Dan McCarney any more.  They did not believe anymore.  They just did not care anymore. 

My thoughts exactly.   Our recruiting has been a bit below average, by CUSA standards.  However, the real problem is that the players just didn't believe in the direction of the program/coaching. I don't want to blame any one person.  But, when your QB position is as bad as hit has been for 1 1/2 seasons here, it takes a motivational toll on the other positions. 

The QB is your leader.  You have to have faith in him to succeed.   I blame the coaching, not the players.

Here is the UNT Recruiting rankings for the last few years on 24/7"

• 2015 6 of 14 (UAB is included, but shouldn't be)
  • 2014 9 of 14
  • 2013 12 of 14
  • 2012 6 of 14

That is an average of 8.25 out of 14.    We need to do a hell of a lot better.  But, with the right coaching and a talented leader behind center, this team could climb out of the cellar quickly.   Also, Mac's 2015 class was at least average.

I don't think the lack of talent will be that much of a hard sell when it comes to the new coach.   We could be a lot worse.

Edited by akriesman

My thoughts exactly.   Our recruiting has been a bit below average, by CUSA standards.  However, the real problem is that the players just didn't believe in the direction of the program/coaching. I don't want to blame any one person.  But, when your QB position is as bad as hit has been for 1 1/2 seasons here, it takes a motivational toll on the other positions. 

The QB is your leader.  You have to have faith in him to succeed.   I blame the coaching, not the players.

Here is the UNT Recruiting rankings for the last few years on 24/7"

• 2015 6 of 14 (UAB is included, but shouldn't be)
  • 2014 9 of 14
  • 2013 12 of 14
  • 2012 6 of 14

That is an average of 8.25 out of 14.    We need to do a hell of a lot better.  But, with the right coaching and a talented leader behind center, this team could climb out of the cellar quickly.   Also, Mac's 2015 class was at least average.

I don't think the lack of talent will be that much of a hard sell when it comes to the new coach.   We could be a lot worse.

Rivals had us ranked dead last in 2014. Last year was our best recruiting class under McCarney--and we finished 90th