President's Staff Sack Lunch Live Stream: Happening Now

Wow question was asked and he answered it  "Athletics is the front porch of the university...I don't know a president who doesn't care at D-I...I consider myself a partner... I am to act as a conduit to make sure we are making sure we are doing our best in all programs...this involves our BOR, donors... we will all continue to work together to make sure we do the best we can..."

I thought I saw RV in the audience but am not sure.

Edited by Harry

Wow question was asked and he answered it  "Athletics is the front porch of the university...I don't know a president who doesn't care at D-I...I consider myself a partner... I am to act as a conduit to make sure we are making sure we are doing our best in all programs...this involves our BOR, donors... we will all continue to work together to make sure we do the best we can..."

And to add that it sounds like he wants to be hands on and work with athletics

• Upvote 5

He gave a very generic, innocuous answer about viewing athletics as the "front porch" to the university and said all university presidents feel the same way.  He also indicated that it is important for him to work with those outside of the walls of the athletic department (i.e. donors). 

Yep, and I wanted to phrase it tactfully, and I believe I did that.

His answer is... interesting. I think it indicates that he does have a desire to play a much more active role in decisions going forward, but then he fully acknowledges the input of the Board of Regents and donors.

Notice however he did not mention RV or the AD position by name.

I applaud you for that Sir. We all should. Its the first time in our crisis mode that someone has gotten a public answer from the President. Well done

I'm here and do not see RV in the room.

Busy with the coach search

• Upvote 4

I think Smatresk is gonna be a great President because he Cares about the Entirety of the University and not just Academics. He is a pom pom guy and I love that about him. Also very involved in the Community.

I also gotta think he loves this gig a lot.  It gave him a chance to come back home and be close to his kids and grandchildren which was a huge motivating factor.  I think he probably wants to stick around for the long haul here until he's ready to retire so why not be happy and enthusiastic about everything.  If a university thrives in academics and athletics it benefits everyone involved including his own personal resume.

• Upvote 5

I thought I saw RV in the audience but am not sure.

Thanks for posting his answer, Harry!

• Upvote 1

I saw nothing indicating any changes coming.  He confirmed it was important and that his role would be acting as a conduit, not the primary player and it would be influenced by the BOR and major donors.  He did say that he was "hands on" so I imagine he will be involved in the final selection of the coach. 

Keep in mind, this is a primarily academic audience and as such he is not going to spend too much time on this subject which has to be a sore one for most of them when you take into account how much more funding athletics gets in comparison.

I saw nothing indicating any changes coming.  He confirmed it was important and that his role would be acting as a conduit, not the primary player and it would be influenced by the BOR and major donors.  He did say that he was "hands on" so I imagine he will be involved in the final selection of the coach. 

Keep in mind, this is a primarily academic audience and as such he is not going to spend too much time on this subject which has to be a sore one for most of them when you take into account how much more funding athletics gets in comparison.

True, but most of them are smart enough to realize that the revenue streams are completely separate. I thought it was an appropriate answer. What I didn't want to do was corner him with the wording.

• Upvote 1