MGB: Today's DRC editorial on the state of UNT athletics

Brett Vito

Instead, the game at Apogee Stadium turned into an embarrassing 66-7 defeat followed by UNT Athletic Director Rick Villarreal’s firing of coach Dan McCarney after the game. The Mean Green are now 0-5 for the season.

No offense to UNT’s academic departments, but the front door to any large university is its athletic program

Apogee Stadium helped, but the football team has had one winning season during the past 10.

The next shoe to drop will be basketball season. Coach Tony Benford will be entering his fourth season.

University President Neal Smatresk has some tough decisions to make. Villarreal has been UNT athletic director since 2001. If anyone can claim to be the architect of the current athletic program, it is he.

Barring some type of miraculous turnaround, the handwriting is on the wall.

Edited by Cerebus
  • Upvote 7

Send this column along with your letter when you write.

Send a link to this column along with the email you write.

Tweet this article to the president.

Connect with President Smatresk

Mailing address
1155 Union Circle, #311425
Denton, Texas 76203-5017

Email address
president@unt.edu

Phone number
940-565-2026

Fax number
940-565-4322

Twitter
@UNTPrez

• Upvote 2

I don't really like this kind of mindset:  "No offense to UNT’s academic departments, but the front door to any large university is its athletic program."  It's one of the two laughably untrue, but overused, sentiments spouted in the SportsNews genre.

I have a nephew who is at the University of Chicago.  When applying for schools, football and basketball were the last thing on his mind.  His choice came down to Brown, Georgetown, or Chicago.  I've got another nephew who went to Stephen F. Austin.  Football played no role in his decision either.  He chose from Oklahoma State, SFA, and Texas State.  

Harvard, Yale, MIT, etc. - they all seem to be doing well without top football and basketball programs.  Lehigh.  I mean get serious.

I've got nephews on both ends of the academic spectrum in college, and neither of them figured in football basketball into their attendance decision.  The first was an academic gunner aiming as high as he could.  The other...he just went where a few of his good friends were going.

I understand people being upset that a football program is down.  I'm pissed about it.  But, not enough to lose perspective and somehow, in these stupid ways, want my alma mater to put athletics in front of academics. 

I mean, let the tail wag the dog up at OU where they talk about diversity but let a kid who broke a girl's face stay enrolled, take redshirt season over it, and play this year.  Where their coach takes on transfer players with drug and domestic abuse arrest histories.  THAT is what OU wants to be the front porch of their university...fine. 

I don't mean to pick on OU, but it's the closest example geographically.  Texas has looked the other way at that type of stuff in the past as well.  TCU has.  Baylor is beginning to - to the extent that the younger Briles is now under NCAA scrutiny.  Florida, now, with PEDs...on and on and on at those school who puff out their chests and say stupid things like, "Football is the front porch of the university!"

Come on, man.  Let's all dial it back a step or two, okay?  Just get a decent football coach hired. If basketball fails again, ditch Benford and try again.  But, for pete's sake, everyone, do not lose your perspective about academics versus athletics.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 24

I don't really like this kind of mindset:  "No offense to UNT’s academic departments, but the front door to any large university is its athletic program."  It's one of the two laughably untrue, but overused, sentiments spouted in the SportsNews genre.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/01/13/tcu-seeing-spike-in-admissions-after-rose-bowl/

The university has set a new record.  More than 17,000 new students have applied for acceptance to attend TCU in the fall, and the deadline isn’t until February 15, 2011.

That’s a 42 percent increase over last year’s record setting year.

• Upvote 5

Good God we're not Harvard, Yale, MIT or even Rice.  If a student has a really strong idea of what they want to do, they go to a school with a strong program.   Guess what?  A huge percentage of students have no real idea of what they want.  Strong athletics help attract those students.  

Again, my other not so academically inclined nephew who, I can assure you, truly, has not idea what he wants to do, chose Stephen F. Austin...even with an acceptance letter to Oklahoma State in hand.  Tell me which school is higher up on the football food chain, Oklahoma State or Stephen F. Austin?

Really, you guys. 

And, put your younger self into the situation.  Why did you choose North Texas?  Was it because you were so enamored of the idea of sitting at Fouts and watching North Texas versus Southwest Missouri State?

Come on, man.  I was accepted to Missouri, Oklahoma, North Texas, and a few others, all of whom had higher profile athletic programs than UNT.  I chose North Texas.  Okay?  It's ridiculously funny that graduates of North Texas are buying into this ridiculous argument. 

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 21

Keep the letters coming to the university president. Pressure has to be building. Keep the pressure on. This university has a long history of apathy toward athletics, and RV has powerful friends. 

The only thing that will change the AD at this university is a large (as in many people and donors) consistent pressure on Pres. Smatresk to make a change. Getting multiple letters from the same 5 people won't affect change.

Even if you are just a lurker, send an email or letter to the President. Let him know how you feel. 

Maybe, just maybe, UNT will finally do the right thing when it comes to athletics.

Maybe.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Again, my other not so academically inclined nephew who, I can assure you, truly, has not idea what he wants to do, chose Stephen F. Austin...even with an acceptance letter to Oklahoma State in hand.  Tell me which school is higher up on the football food chain, Oklahoma State or Stephen F. Austin?

Really, you guys. 

And, put your younger self into the situation.  Why did you choose North Texas?  Was it because you were so enamored of the idea of sitting at Fouts and watching North Texas versus Southwest Missouri State?

Come on, man.  I was accepted to Missouri, Oklahoma, North Texas, and a few others, all of whom had higher profile athletic programs than UNT.  I chose North Texas.  Okay?  It's ridiculously funny that graduates of North Texas are buying into this ridiculous argument. 

2Q==9316854_orig.jpg

• Upvote 5

You were provided with data that suggests a different viewpoint from your own and you summarily dismiss it and then finish with this. I have to now assume the whole thing is a bit.

if it's not from the CDC he want's no part of your "data"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1