Sonny Cumbie and Doug Meacham UNT job mention on Fox

Harry

No, that made national news.

So do tragedies of every kind, every day. 

Reality: fewer and further between were folks outside of DFW thought this was a good hire. If you want to argue semantics, sure it was both a splash and a bad hire: the two are not mutually exclusive. I used "splash" hire with the assumption it would also be a "good" hire. I assumed people would grant the benefit of the doubt on that. Perhaps not. 

Not everyone knows or cares about everything going on within the boundaries of DFW. NT has done a good job the past decade distancing itself from the "leading university of the DFW area" stuff, thinking more broadly and universally. It would do well to follow suit with athletics. Todd Dodge was a local hero -- not a good "splash" hire.

So do tragedies of every kind, every day. 

Reality: fewer and further between were folks outside of DFW thought this was a good hire. If you want to argue semantics, sure it was both a splash and a bad hire: the two are not mutually exclusive. I used "splash" hire with the assumption it would also be a "good" hire. I assumed people would grant the benefit of the doubt on that. Perhaps not. 

Not everyone knows or cares about everything going on within the boundaries of DFW. NT has done a good job the past decade distancing itself from the "leading university of the DFW area" stuff, thinking more broadly and universally. It would do well to follow suit with athletics. Todd Dodge was a local hero -- not a good "splash" hire.

Just giving the perspective of one living well outside DFW.  I heard it on the news plenty, and had folks in Mammoth Spring, Arkansas asking me about it.  Between that and the Riley Dodge flip from UT, I don't recall any other time UNT made national sports news on quite that level.

If we take the young coordinator route, I'd feel more comfortable with Major Applewhite than Sonny Cumbie. Applewhite has been a full time coach since 2005, while Cumbie has only been coaching since 2011. I feel Applewhite would be able to put together a better staff and has much more experience on the recruiting trail.

I would be great with the Major too. He's worked at big programs....Rice, Alabma, UT and now Houston. Think he would be a great hire and do good for UNT.

Not sure he leaves Houston if Herman leaves, unless it's to go with him to the next school. 

• Upvote 2

If we take the young coordinator route, I'd feel more comfortable with Major Applewhite than Sonny Cumbie. Applewhite has been a full time coach since 2005, while Cumbie has only been coaching since 2011. I feel Applewhite would be able to put together a better staff and has much more experience on the recruiting trail.

I'm with this as well.  Cumbies a winner, but so is Major and with more experience.  Plus Majors UT lore will work better in recruiting.... Hell, maybe he gives Ricky a job.  He's doing a bang up job as an assistant at UIW.... Think a few backs wouldn't want to come learn from Mr. Williams?  Applewhite is making less than $400k this year... UH offense looks sharp.....he should be our first choice!