Sonny Cumbie and Doug Meacham UNT job mention on Fox

Harry

Speaking of TCU, with North Texas canning coach Dan McCarney don’t be shocked if UNT gives a close look to Horned Frog offensive coordinators Doug Meacham and Sonny Cumbie for the vacancy.

read more:  http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/marylandterrapins-randy-edsall-nick-chubb-georgia-big-picture-101115

I'd take either, but think I'd prefer Cumbie based on his age and his connections in central Texas, Lubbock, San Antonio and Fort Worth. It would be a really exciting hire!

From killerfrogs.com

think Meacham made $350,000 this year and Cumbie around $275,000.  Obviously they got big raises for 2015 but there's a lot of room there.

• Upvote 1

Cumbie is 34 Meacham is 50.  They are co offensive coordinators. I believe Cumbie is the QB coach and Meacham does inside receivers.

And together, they've turned TCU into a Top-5 team in 2015. Gary Patterson knows that. They're not going to leave unless it's for a better opportunity and more pay -- and there's no reason to think TCU can't match a coordinator's pay with anything we want to pay a head coach. 

Cumbie's been a great addition as an offensive mind. But bringing him in as a Head Coach at 34 years of age is probably as big a stretch as hiring a legendary HS football coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

If we take the young coordinator route, I'd feel more comfortable with Major Applewhite than Sonny Cumbie. Applewhite has been a full time coach since 2005, while Cumbie has only been coaching since 2011. I feel Applewhite would be able to put together a better staff and has much more experience on the recruiting trail.

• Upvote 2

And together, they've turned TCU into a Top-5 team in 2015. Gary Patterson knows that. They're not going to leave unless it's for a better opportunity and more pay -- and there's no reason to think TCU can't match a coordinator's pay with anything we want to pay a head coach. 

Seriously?  We paid Coach Mac over $700k with incentives allowing him to make close to a million.  Neither of these guys made half of his base last year.  TCU is currently paying co-OC's, so if they had to bump up the pay of one over $700k, they'd have to bump up the other's salary comparably (and probably those of their co-DC's as well).  Not gonna happen.

• Upvote 1

which I contend still wasn't a mistake so much as it was to allow him to fill his staff with high school coaches. 

he's 34...and already OC at a top 5 school, so clearly he's ambitious...he'd definitely view UNT as a stepping stone (rightly), so I think we'd see a level of dedication we've never seen and a pragmatic approach to put experienced minds around him. 

All fair points. 

I guess I'd just like to see us make a splash hire for once. A hire that says "we're going to take this seriously." But I don't know what that looks like and I'm a dreamer by trade.

If we take the young coordinator route, I'd feel more comfortable with Major Applewhite than Sonny Cumbie. Applewhite has been a full time coach since 2005, while Cumbie has only been coaching since 2011. I feel Applewhite would be able to put together a better staff and has much more experience on the recruiting trail.

I'd be intrigued by this, too. 

• Upvote 1

All fair points. 

I guess I'd just like to see us make a splash hire for once. A hire that says "we're going to take this seriously." But I don't know what that looks like and I'm a dreamer by trade.

Hiring Dodge kind of was a splash hire. It's why we got so much media attention. it's why 5,500 showed up to the spring game. The hire wasn't wrong, just everything else put around it.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops
  • Upvote 2