Letter to the president

MeanGreenFan94

I usually just read and don't post but I just sent my email to Mr. Smatresk encouraging him for a change at AD. I know most on this board feel this way as well so don't hesitate. Let's continue to flood them with emails and tweets. Just don't leave it here on this board. make the administration know we are serious even if we aren't the big time financial influencers. Leaving Rick as AD is not acceptable! #firerv

What email address did you use?

I sent this email to president@unt.edu today, the first time I've ever contacted a UNT president about our athletics program:

As a 1991 graduate of the University of North Texas and a longtime fan of its sports teams, I would like to urge you to remove Rick Villarreal as athletic director. Firing Dan McCarney as head coach doesn't go far enough to address the problems with our football program.

Our program is a disaster. We have a great stadium and a budget that could attract a coach with a background that would enthuse fans, but I don't trust Villarreal to be a part of that decision. Neither Todd Dodge nor McCarney worked out. It's time to hold him accountable for those hires.

Villarreal also handled the termination of McCarney as coach in an unprofessional and embarrassing manner. It didn't have to be done within an hour of the game's end, while players were still changing in the locker room. He should've waited until Sunday or Monday.

A school with the student enrollment, resources and regional prominence of UNT should have a football team that's among the best mid-majors in the FBS. Instead, we keep finding ourselves at the bottom of the rankings.

Don't let Villarreal hire the next coach. It's time for a new start in athletics.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The letter I just sent:

Dear President Smatresk,

As a 2012 graduate of the University of North Texas, I am deeply distressed by the depths to which our athletics department has descended. Though our academics are flourishing, in many respects athletics are the tangible face of the university that most hold up as a status symbol. Since 2013, I believed things were trending up for our football team, but given the performance over the past two seasons, it is clear that belief was ill placed. Given the recent firing of Coach McCarney, and the poor way in which our AD handled it, I have no faith that he can either A) make the right decision about who our next head football coach should be or B) enthuse fans to the point that they will continue to support our  teams. Unfortunately it is time for the AD to be replaced so that we can establish a true tradition of winning at UNT. This is a sad situation that needs to be rectified immediately for the good of our university. The right hires at both the AD and head coach position could dramatically improve our standing within Conference USA and the national impression of an oft derided "directional school." I look forward to your feedback on this situation and I sincerely appreciate your time and dedication to the University of North Texas.

• Upvote 2

I say we start another thread regarding the responses we get.... 

Look.  There is no published way to directly contact the President.  Even his twitter is handled by someone at URCM.  However, they do tabulate the topics he is being contacted with.  If he is FLOODED with this subject, it will 100% be brought to his attention and he will understand it is a serious issue.

Just wanted to update everyone with the form letter response I just got:

Thank you for writing to the president. I will make sure to share your email with him.

Please let me know if there is anything further I can do to assist you.

Respectfully,

Adrienne Nettles

On Behalf of University Relations, Communications and Marketing

https://identityguide.unt.edu/sites/default/files/styles/toolkit_thumbnail/public/combo_stacked_two-line_356_1.png?itok=nnb6q1eq125-marks-white

Continue the conversation with UNT:

Just emailed.  Please remember not to use president@unt.edu, use neal.smatresk@unt.edu .

Sent mine tonight and used both president@unt.edu and neal.smatresk@unt.edu .

I focused on President Smatresk's desire for UNT to be a Tier 1 university and how athletics is currently damaging that image rather than enhancing it - and that wholesale changes are needed in the athletics department.