Kendal Briles -- North Texas Head Coaching Candidate

Harry

Guys, we can have differing positions on this without being called "dumb".  Let's debate this very important topic in a reasonable way with an open mind and with respect of each others viewpoints.

right, but I mean, it is bengooding...

• Upvote 1

Latif Nurudeen 

I was only 34 when I got my Head Coaching gig. I can score but my defense is not great.

kliff-kingsbury-charlie-weis.jpg 

*17-17 after two and a half seasons:  3 of those wins versus Kansas, 2 versus Iowa State, one apiece against Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, and Central Arkansas.
*Big 12 Conference Record:  8-16...3-16 against Big 12 schools not named Kansas or Iowa State
*Won first seven games, but has gone 10-17 since

Anyone really believe Tech is getting their money's worth from this hire?  Think our AD is stupid?  They've got Kliff signed through 2020, I believe.  This year, he's scheduled to make $3.1 million. 

• Upvote 2

Briles is my clear #1, with Sonny Cumbie being my #2, and Applewhite a distant #3. I understand the issues with age and experience and the supposed parallel to our former Southlake Savior. I think we should be realists now and think outside the box. Yes, Todd Dodge was a "shock value" hire considering his resume. We needed attention and good press, and for a short time we got that. Dodge was just in over his head, and not a successful Big XII Offensive Coordinator. Briles has not only learned from a true class act in his father Art, but he was the Big-XII recruiter of the year, runs an EXPLOSIVE "Guns-Blazing" offense, and has personally coached or mentored some of the better QB's and WR's now playing in the NFL. He could get the best out of Demarcus Smith and knows how to open up an offense at the FBS level. Briles can also get into living rooms and tell success stories that recruits and parents would love to hear. Maybe we land a three or four star WR or QB that we would not have a chance at otherwise? Briles is very well known in Texas and has credibility already among most high school coaches. Recruits who come from high scoring offenses might actually consider a career at North Texas with Briles as a head coach? Recruits will hear about bowl games, NFL players, and possible invitations to the annual NFL scouting combine which is something we haven't done much of around here. There are so many other possibilities with a coach like that. I know most of this is speculation and my opinion may be a bit tainted. I remember all of those years when Baylor was the doormat of the Big XII, but they are no longer that. I want North Texas to have the same shot at success and moving forward. I say if Briles can do that, then why not North Texas?

I hear weekly here at work how bad North Texas is right now, mostly from graduates of other Texas schools. I am tired of having to defend a University that has thirty seven thousand students, a nice campus,  and a damn nice football stadium. The only things holding North Texas back are bad coaching and an Athletic Director who has apparently thrown in the towel. It's time to hire the right man for the job. I believe Briles is that man, and if I am wrong then hire someone like him please. We are at a turning point now and have the opportunity to make things right. Please no more old recycled coaches who have skins on the wall from a decade ago. Young, guns-blazing offensive minds who have had success at an FBS school and appeal to the high school stud players. If RV hires one more worthless or washed out coach, I'm going to take my old UNT Jerseys and throw them on the Athletic Center lawn! (Disclaimer: not giving up my 2000's Bowl Team Jerseys. We were allowed participants in that era, and had not been banished from practices or scrimmages yet. I get to keep those.) 

GMG!!!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Latif Nurudeen 

I was only 34 when I got my Head Coaching gig. I can score but my defense is not great.

For those who believe lil' Briles will be anything like Kingsbury as Tech.

Tech has literally run the exact same system since Mike Leach got there in 2000, Kingsbury was a QB in that system. For the past 15 years Tech's main selling point has been their offense. They have recruited to that offense, and know what to expect from their recruits year in and year out. Kingsbury was basically handed the same system he ran when he played, and I would say that gave him a much easier time selling to recruits and finding a staff because A) the recruits have known the system for years, and B) the staff has run it for years. This, in my opinion has made Kingsbury's job infinitely easier, and yet he has been mediocre.

If we hired Briles, it would take him years to implement a system than UNT has never run to my knowledge (Air raid, which is different that a conventional spread attack). As of now we have no identity, and he would have to work his ass off to establish an identity similar to the one Tech has had for years. He will NOT have the luxuries gifted to him that Kingsbury did.

Tech has literally run the exact same system since Mike Leach got there in 2000, Kingsbury was a QB in that system. For the past 15 years Tech's main selling point has been their offense. They have recruited to that offense, and know what to expect from their recruits year in and year out. Kingsbury was basically handed the same system he ran when he played, and I would say that gave him a much easier time selling to recruits and finding a staff because A) the recruits have known the system for years, and B) the staff has run it for years. This, in my opinion has made Kingsbury's job infinitely easier, and yet he has been mediocre.

If we hired Briles, it would take him years to implement a system than UNT has never run to my knowledge (Air raid, which is different that a conventional spread attack). As of now we have no identity, and he would have to work his ass off to establish an identity similar to the one Tech has had for years. He will NOT have the luxuries gifted to him that Kingsbury did.

Agreed that "Eye-Candy Cliff" (or so he is called by all the softball moms) was an immediate fit at TTech, but why would it take Briles so long to implement his offense at North Texas? Any head coach we hire will have a learning curve right out of the shoot, but recruiting players to fit his offense is a must before we can win? I'm not so sure. Starting with the skill position players he inherits here is not so tough a road. Briles would already have a QB that is mobile and can throw (Smith), have several returning speedy receivers (Tee Goree, Turner Smiley, Darvin Kidsy, DeAundrey Bradley, etc.), and RB's that can catch out of the backfield (Wilson, Ivery, Rollins). Now picture those weapons plus his first year recruits, which should be significantly better than what we have had in a long time. That is what Briles is known for, right? I think we would see an amazing product on the field in the first year. Can we expect to go 12-0?, not likely.. but I believe we would see a ton of points scored each week and have very exciting football to watch. That gets us out of the ridiculous "Mac-rut" we have been in and turns the heads of future highly-skilled recruits. Instead of endlessly spiraling downward this program could really start an upward trend. That is how other upward moving programs did it? I honestly cant see a scenario where it takes Briles years to make his system work at North Texas? Of course it depends on whether or not our QB's can absorb his offense. We know RG III and Bryce Petty got it.. so I think Demarcus Smith and Connor Means can get it. I'm not comparing them, just saying that offense works with more than one type of QB. 

Food for thought.. call me an optimist.

GMG!!!

Years?  It took Fuente 2 years to bring Memphis to where they are today and only 2 years for Briles to bring Baylor to their first bowl game since the mid 90's.  I dont see how it would take more than 2 years to bring UNT back to a bowl game.  If it does, well, we hired the wrong coach, again.

• Upvote 1

Briles is my clear #1, with Sonny Cumbie being my #2, and Applewhite a distant #3. I understand the issues with age and experience and the supposed parallel to our former Southlake Savior. I think we should be realists now and think outside the box. Yes, Todd Dodge was a "shock value" hire considering his resume. We needed attention and good press, and for a short time we got that. Dodge was just in over his head, and not a successful Big XII Offensive Coordinator.

Thank you! I feel like I have heard this somewhere before. If I'm not mistaken, I remember one of the podcasts when Harry talked about Dodge. Saying that it was not a mistake for Dodge to move into the college football world. But he should have started as a coordinator first. Briles has the P5 coordinator experience... And I most importantly think he'll be able to fix our recruiting dilemma. And for those who say that he would have to work his ass off to be successful here... I would hope they could determine that in an interview with the guy.

*17-17 after two and a half seasons:  3 of those wins versus Kansas, 2 versus Iowa State, one apiece against Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, and Central Arkansas.*Big 12 Conference Record:  8-16...3-16 against Big 12 schools not named Kansas or Iowa State
*Won first seven games, but has gone 10-17 since

Anyone really believe Tech is getting their money's worth from this hire?  Think our AD is stupid?  They've got Kliff signed through 2020, I believe.  This year, he's scheduled to make $3.1 million. 

He isn't any worse then the SEC-tested Tommy Tuberville was.

Years?  It took Fuente 2 years to bring Memphis to where they are today and only 2 years for Briles to bring Baylor to their first bowl game since the mid 90's.  I dont see how it would take more than 2 years to bring UNT back to a bowl game.  If it does, well, we hired the wrong coach, again.

When a coach is brought in to replace a fired coach of a losing team, the statistics are it takes about three years to get the team above .500 for FBS teams since 95 or 96 about 60% of the time IIRC. Some do it faster but less than 25% and about 15% don't ever. I might have those last two reversed, I don't remember for certain. It's been a while since I read the study. 

When a coach is brought in to replace a fired coach of a losing team, the statistics are it takes about three years to get the team above .500 for FBS teams since 95 or 96 about 60% of the time IIRC. Some do it faster but less than 25% and about 15% don't ever. I might have those last two reversed, I don't remember for certain. It's been a while since I read the study. 

I pull some stats from the last 10 years and see what their coaching record is for new head coaches.

No. Just No. A Power 5 coordinator might maybe be enough qualification. But not someone who has been a coordinator for less than a season at a place that has very different recruiting advantages and who has not made himself.

Give me a succesful FCS HC on the up ahead of this every day. 

You just described Willie Fritz

• Upvote 1

This is case by case. Programs such Purdue, Illinois, Maryland, BC, NC State, Vandy, Syracuse, Iowa St etc etc probably threw that "study" into a dismal dumpster fire. Programs like the ones listed and similar are going to always be what they are regardless of coaching changes for many reasons. They also have to go through the turmoil of being outmatched on the field for 8 or 9 conference games every year. Those programs never really get "turned around." The one advantage of being a G5 program is that we don't have to go through a real gauntlet every year by programs that outmatch us in every imaginable facet. Parity truly exists in the G5. About 32-35 P5 programs wish they could say the same. 

So pipe down that "it'll be at least 3 years" nonsense. We can win and we can do it in 2016. 

• Upvote 2

Latif Nurudeen 

And UNT is not a P5 conference school.  It is G5 conference school with a lot of negative mojo.  People don't mention scheduling Texas Tech out of conference as cupcake either and that was even before this guy arrived as head coach.  UNT in a lot ways is a more challenging position.  Also I don't recall Kendall being a Heisman Trophy candidate as player at UNT or anywhere else.  So this is bad comparison.

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of us here have our heads in the clouds when it comes to the challenges at UNT.  It will be hard for almost anyone to recruit here.  UNT is now featured as punchline to an undefeated Iowa team's weak schedule daily on ESPN, and Fox Radio.  Recruits hear that media noise and it makes UNT a harder sell to them.   I don't think Kendall Briles is on the phone from UNT perks the interest of the mid range recruits we need.  And if that is the case I would rather have a coach with more experience who has success recruiting to programs that are difficult to recruit to.   The new staff needs to be able to find the diamonds in the rough here and polish them to shine brilliantly.  I too have fallen into the name trap in other gmg.com forums we need a coach with experience in tough circumstances.

I just saw an 0&7 team beat a 1 win team and now we think that we can win next year.Surely you jest. If you are ranked 128th out of 128 teams and get you head handed to you by a 1AA program its because you don't have players. Again, look at So. Miss. as an example. They went from a bowl winning season to 0&12 in one season a few years ago and are just now turning their program around. Again, we all have opinions, but mine  is that you are looking at 3 to 4 years before we start to win as many as we lose.

• Upvote 2