Kendal Briles -- North Texas Head Coaching Candidate

Harry

No way Smatresk allows a Briles to coach. The whole staff/family failed Baylor (along with many others). It's a reputation hit we don't need to take when everything is going so positive on the academic and athletic front. With what we are doing on the field and with facilities and budgets, we can get a really great coach without this kind of reputation hit. I don't know how Wren would handle but it's doubtful a President would hire a Briles as HC. With what we are paying, we could probably hire Skip Holtz or Bill Clark who have both proven to be highly successful in CUSA.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, meangreenJW said:

No way Smatresk allows a Briles to coach. The whole staff/family failed Baylor (along with many others). It's a reputation hit we don't need to take when everything is going so positive on the academic and athletic front. With what we are doing on the field and with facilities and budgets, we can get a really great coach without this kind of reputation hit. I don't know how Wren would handle but it's doubtful a President would hire a Briles as HC. With what we are paying, we could probably hire Skip Holtz or Bill Clark who have both proven to be highly successful in CUSA.

Respectfully, in my mind, Clark or Holtz would be a downgrade from Littrell. I’d rather have Colby Carthel or someone else on the rise. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Cumbie TCU would be a better hire!

Have you seen TCU this year? Some would’ve said the same about his co-coordinator Doug Meacham when we hired Littrell but he has already been fired as OC at Kansas. You have to be dreadful to be fired at KU.

20 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Briles is one of the brightest young minds in the game. He will be a HC very soon. Could be Houston. I wouldn't be opposed. Look how different FAU looks without him. Look how much Houston has improved with him. 

No amount of wins will ever justify someone who facilitates rape culture.

20 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Not even a conversation to be having now, IMO.

Agreed.

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Respectfully, in my mind, Clark or Holtz would be a downgrade from Littrell. I’d rather have Colby Carthel or someone else on the rise. 

Uh, I guess one could argue your point on Clark or Holtz (although Skip 58-27 in CUSA games and has won 4 straight bowl games and Clark has done almost unbelievable things at UAB). But respectfully, there is a 0.0% chance we would hire someone who's experience includes only D2 experience.  That's virtually unheard of. If Carthel wants to be a head coach in FBS, he's at least 2 moves away. He might be able to get and FCS job but that wouldn't be guaranteed. I think ACU hired a D2 coach. But ACU had just become FCS and hired a coach who won 3 straight D2 national championships. 

Incarnate Word is hardly a premier FCS program and they hired a Big 12 coordinator. D2 to FBS probably wouldn't happen anywhere. But I doubt UNT would ever do something like that after how badly the Todd Dodge experiment went.

43 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Uh, I guess one could argue your point on Clark or Holtz (although Skip 58-27 in CUSA games and has won 4 straight bowl games and Clark has done almost unbelievable things at UAB). But respectfully, there is a 0.0% chance we would hire someone who's experience includes only D2 experience.  That's virtually unheard of. If Carthel wants to be a head coach in FBS, he's at least 2 moves away. He might be able to get and FCS job but that wouldn't be guaranteed. I think ACU hired a D2 coach. But ACU had just become FCS and hired a coach who won 3 straight D2 national championships. 

Incarnate Word is hardly a premier FCS program and they hired a Big 12 coordinator. D2 to FBS probably wouldn't happen anywhere. But I doubt UNT would ever do something like that after how badly the Todd Dodge experiment went.

Clark has done unbelievable things at UAB because of their special transfer rules. They will be middle of the pack at best within 2-3 years. Skip will never be more than a CUSA coach. We need a coach on his way up like Littrell was. Carthel only came to mind because of his recent national championship and that he wants to coach us but I see your point. I’d be ok with a Kendal Brilea type guy if he didn’t come with the Briles baggage. He and Art are phenomenal football coaches but it would take a really bold athletic director to face down the firestorm that would come with hiring either of those two. If you had an Al Davis “just win baby” type AD, either Briles would surely bring the W’s but at what cost.

if I were at a place like Texas State, I’d hire Art Briles in a heartbeat. What do they have to lose? Sure you’d get negative attention for about a week and then another week when the season began but 3 years later when you are winning the Sun Belt every year most wouldn’t care anymore. I’d bet almost anything that if Briles were allowed to coach again, his program would probably be one of the cleanest in the nation for no other reason than that he had seen what it was like to lose your entire career over ignorance or looking the other way.

• Lovely Take 1

13 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

No amount of wins will ever justify someone who facilitates rape culture.

I understand your point. But since there was zero evidence he was apart of anything. Beside him asking a recruit do you like white women 🤣🤣 I am not saying he is my first choice. Just saying the briles version of leachs air raid I believe is the best. My top choices are Skip Holtz, Eric Morris or Colby Carthel. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I understand your point. But since there was zero evidence he was apart of anything. Beside him asking a recruit do you like white women 🤣🤣 I am not saying he is my first choice. Just saying the briles version of leachs air raid I believe is the best. My top choices are Skip Holtz, Eric Morris or Colby Carthel. 

I like the Eric Morris or even Colby Carthel, but I don't like skip holtz. i know he has been very successful with La Tech but he doesn't seem like the guy to take us to the  next level. SL took us up to some national exposure. The next guy I want to put us in the national spotlight. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

10 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Carthel not ready.  Period. 
Skip not going to move laterally (is he?).   
I'd like to see Morris continue his upward trend with IW & then sustain before giving him a chance... but we may not have enough time to see it, so it would be a dice roll.
I still think NT pays enough to lure an "on-the-rise" P5 coordinator.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'd like to see Morris continue his upward trend with IW & then sustain before giving him a chance... but we may not have enough time to see it, so it would be a dice roll.

I'm late to looking at this thread, but are we expecting SL to leave or is this "in case" he does?

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

I'm late to looking at this thread, but are we expecting SL to leave or is this "in case" he does?

He hired a new agent just recently; has been mentioned as a possibility at KU, K-State and Louisville and I am sure many more to come.  It’s probably an in case discussion but relevant.

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Carthel not ready????? He has been a head coach for 6 years. He has more national championships than losing seasons... I would sign him up in a heart beat. He has also proved at commerce he wants to build something and won't jump at the first pay raise...

• Upvote 1

I don't know anything about Carthels recruiting history but I think he wants this job. When Commerce & MSU had to finish their game at Apogee last month i think he even tweeted something about how he always wanted to coach Mean Green football and thanked Wren for making Apogee available. If Littrell leaves I think Carthel deserves a serious look. Now, having said all that I'm interested to see if Littrells success here leads to a higher quality coaching pool for us to choose from.

• Lovely Take 1