well...that was memorable

Since this is sort of a "Current state of Denton, TX" type thread, I'll add this: 

Driving through and around the downtown square I was shocked how much development has happened in the blocks surrounding the square.  Looks like a very cool place to just walk around now.  Compared to when I was there it was pretty shocking.

• Upvote 2

Since this is sort of a "Current state of Denton, TX" type thread, I'll add this: 

Driving through and around the downtown square I was shocked how much development has happened in the blocks surrounding the square.  Looks like a very cool place to just walk around now.  Compared to when I was there it was pretty shocking.

And that's not stopping anytime soon. We build and capitalize on where we're strongest.

• Upvote 1

Would love for Denton's downtown to grow to the size of Fort Collins one day

I've been to Fort Collins, but it's been an age...for me, Northampton, MA is a solid metric

I love the way the Industrial Street/east Hickory area has filled in...Harvest House is an incredible space and concept. maybe expanding a bit further down Hickory to bring the train station into downtown a bit more would be a good idea, but I'm not sure where else you'd really want to see growth...maaaaaaaybe over near Rubber Gloves down Sycamore, but the sentimental snob in me would rather that great spot stay singular 

really the biggest thing for me would be to fill the Fine Arts theater on the west side of the square in with a music venue to attract some national talent...maybe also convince Campus Theater to occasionally do the same rather than just hosting local productions. Northampton has 3 top quality music venues for <1000 that pulls tons of "indie" talent.  

made my (more or less) annual trip to Denton this past weekend...had the special lady-friend in tow for her first trip to Denton/UNT...boy, could I have not picked a better weekend. I love being a part of history! 

highlights - 

save for a few excused absences, I got to see damn near all my most important Texas people...and really I didn't much give a damn about anything else

Denton continues to impress...one of the best small towns in the country...between 940s, Barley&Board, Flatlanders Beth Marie's and the Austin Street Truck Stop we ate incredibly well...drank even better at Oak Street, Eastside, Paschall, Harvest House and (the great) JR Pockets. 

Tony Benford sighting! I came into the game already down 14-0...as I entered I saw Benford standing near one of the entrance portals...soon after we went down 21-0, and I noticed Benford start to judgmentally shake his head in disapproval as if to say, "man, this is a poorly coached team". at first I found it ironic...but then just thought it sad and telling.

around 2am, my group and I attempted to scale the giant "JESUS" sign down 377. we failed miserably, but without casualties...so let's call it a push

lowlights - 

lack of a Ben Gooding sighting. 

all things sports 

Man, I was so hoping to hear that Ben Gooding and you met face-to-face...

This past Saturday really was the low point for gmg.com posters...

It's awesome now. Every day I miss living in Denton.

My only concern is it's getting a little too...SoDoSoPa.

Texas Monthly did an article that was like "Coolest places in Texas" and Denton wasn't on the list. Highest rated comment was: "Denton. Shhh."

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Downvote 1