RV Fire Watch

UNTeagle88

This board is hilarious. Generally speaking, we were all pretty excited over the last several hires that RV made. Mac, Benford, Aston, Peterson, and Mitchell. Not until recently did we even have the budget to hire decent coaches. 

It's a fan board. Every fan board in the country is going to be excited about new hires because they are inherently exciting. Unless that coach comes with baggage that most fans don't want, they're going to get behind and excited about the hire. Even if it's not the guy they all individually wanted, like you said, generally speaking.

• Upvote 5

This board is hilarious. Generally speaking, we were all pretty excited over the last several hires that RV made. Mac, Benford, Aston, Peterson, and Mitchell. Not until recently did we even have the budget to hire decent coaches. 

What's your point? We should keep coaches based on the reaction of a fan board when they get hired?

• Upvote 6

I don't recall all of those being my personal favorites at the time but I supported them when they came to work here. That's what we do - we close ranks. Having said that, this next coaching hire will be scrutinized from every angle and you can bet that there will be an exodus of supporters if we don't hire the real deal.

• Upvote 2

What's your point? We should keep coaches based on the reaction of a fan board when they get hired?

My point is that it's funny how people are so adamant that RV gets fired for something that most people approved of. 

Hindsite is always 20/20, but I didn't see very many posters on this board throwing a fit when we initially made those hires.

Edited by cdizzle86
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This place was hardly a lovefest over the Mac hire. Some loved it, some liked it with reservations and some hated it. The biggest criticisms were about hiring somebody who won 39.7% of his games at Iowa State. (His winning percentage at UNT: 40.7%.)

A lot of us said back then that it was a make-or-break moment for RV.

It broke. Time to clean house all the way up to AD.

I remember being in Jim Leavitt's camp at the time of Mac's hire. Time for a change to be made at AD. I have a lot of thoughts that have been rolling around in my mind since last fall and I will spare ya'll the details. It all boils down to my personal assessment that this is a tipping point for UNT Athletics. Either get fresh blood and direction in the AD's office and make a good coaching hire or witness the erosion of supporters and fans to undesirable levels. Just my opinion, but I have been around UNT football on a pretty frequent basis as a fan since the mid-1980s. That is my frame of reference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My point is that it's funny how people are so adamant that RV gets fired for something that most people approved of. 

Hindsite is always 20/20, but I didn't see very many posters on this board throwing a fit when we initially made those hires.

So we should keep RV only because his hires got some approval on a fan board when they were made. Got it.

For the record I threw a fit after the Mitchell hire because RV was allowed to make it, and I'll throw another fit whenever the next RV hire happens.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Tomorrow at noon is the President's Sack Lunch in the Gateway. I'm just hoping he wants a crowd when he announces Rick is outta here. 

Tomorrow is also the Alumni Association Fall Reception for Collin County in Plano.  Looks like if he wants to make an announcement, he'd have multiple opportunities to share the news tomorrow.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Actually, there were several that pointed out Mac had a losing record and weren't excited about him.

There were also those that questioned an assistant hire in Benford when RV had previously said we weren't going to hire any more assistants (like anything RV says really matters, because it will change depending on his audience).

And of course fans were excited, but I will never be excited to another RV hire as I know the odds are that coach will be fired with a losing record. 

It's funny that some cling to their RV loyalty over what is best for this program after breaking a college football record for ineptitude that won't be broken again, probably ever.  It's like it's a second nature reaction. This is a culture problem at this university.

At a university whose fans and supporters cared more about winning than being nice to one man (looking dead at the UNT 17), RV would have been fired today. 

It's pretty clear we would rather support a man than a program or a university. So cult like...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Tomorrow is also the Alumni Association Fall Reception for Collin County in Plano.  Looks like if he wants to make an announcement, he'd have multiple opportunities to share the news tomorrow.  

Yeah I'll report it. The President doesn't support the AD. This is a battle of RV and the $BMD vs The President. If a move comes down its bc the President makes it or he was able to convince those $BMDs that it's time to end the embarrassment. This isn't just as simple as some think that RV is staying. President hasn't been happy with him. Now does he have the gusto to make a damn move. 

• Upvote 7

Actually, there were several that pointed out Mac had a losing record and weren't excited about him.

There were also those that questioned an assistant hire in Benford when RV had previously said we weren't going to hire any more assistants (like anything RV says really matters, because it will change depending on his audience).

And of course fans were excited, but I will never be excited to another RV hire as I know the odds are that coach will be fired with a losing record. 

It's funny that some cling to their RV loyalty over what is best for this program after breaking a college football record for ineptitude that won't be broken again, probably ever.  It's like it's a second nature reaction. This is a culture problem at this university.

At a university whose fans and supporters cared more about winning than being nice to one man (looking dead at the UNT 17), RV would have been fired today. 

It's pretty clear we would rather support a man than a program or a university. So cult like...

Notice I didn't say everybody. It's fine if you think he should be fired but I'm just making a rational observation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Notice I didn't say everybody. It's fine if you think he should be fired but I'm just making a rational observation.

Do you think everyone on this board is qualified to be AD? If not, why does their reaction matter? 

Have you ever stopped to think that just maybe a fan base that has had extremely little to cheer about football wise, coming off a disastrous Dodge era, and with a brand new stadium needed ANYTHING to be optimistic about?

You said, "Generally speaking, we were all pretty excited." All means everybody. Don't be a Derek Holland and try to sneak weak stuff past us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No question in my mind that Neinas & co were trying to offer the AD a safe choice by going with the Fry coaching tree knowing that it would play to the alumni, especially the Fry generation alumni. 

It seemed to work. The first year was seen as great progress. The second year raised a few red flags that were quickly forgotten after the bowl win. 

And then the shit hit the fan. 

• Upvote 5

Again, NO ONE on this board had even mentioned Dan McCarney when the hired happened. He was no one's first choice except RV.

He shouldn't be allowed to hire another coach. 

He was no one's first choice except RV.

Is it even remotely relevant who a bunch of slack jawed message board yokels like us want?  I saw that you yourself posted that we are all a bunch of message board idiots, not athletic directors.  I want Nick Saban, Les Miles, and Barry Alvarez coaching in Denton.  If I don't get one of my choices, regardless of who the AD is, should I stomp my feet five years later?  I don't think many of the names being tossed around five years ago were realistic, attainable, or wise (Leach would be a total shitshow here who would sue UNT back to the nineteenth century).  

I cast judgment on whether or not I think the AD is making solid hires, but comparing it to the wishlists of a bunch of thumb plugging beer swillers like us is straw man at best.

• Upvote 3

So I get tired of rhetoric without action, and being that I'm in digital marketing and spend all day targeting people in unique ways, I created a Facebook Ads campaign, targeting people working at the University of North Texas who make in excess of $200,000 per year, and only when they're within one mile of campus. A screen shot of my ad is below. My targeting has honed into an audience of less than 1,000 people. I've set to target them as many times per day as I can and will pay for each time my ad is viewed. My point will be made. I will spend less than $15 to bombard these people with my message and direct them to this thread. 

It's time for a new AD. And I'm totally serious. Just got the email that my ad has been approved and is live. 

Fire-Rick-V-Facebook-Ad.png

I love this except for the "After embarrassing one of the most respected football coaches in university history" part.  

I'm not defending RV but there was nothing he did in firing Mac that was uncalled for or inappropriate.  So I don't get that?  Mac isn't respected here or anywhere really, especially now.  And Mac embarrassed himself more than anything anyone else could ever do to him by bringing our program to the lowest point in history.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I love this except for the "After embarrassing one of the most respected football coaches in university history" part.  

I'm not defending RV but there was nothing he did in firing Mac that was uncalled for or inappropriate.  So I don't get that?  Mac isn't respected here or anywhere really, especially now.  And Mac embarrassed himself more than anything anyone else could ever do to him by bringing our program to the lowest point in history.

Rick

This. Desperate times call for desperate measures. It's just a shame those desperate measures didn't include the person most responsible for the consistent failure of everything UNT athletics.

Yeah I'll report it. The President doesn't support the AD. This is a battle of RV and the $BMD vs The President. If a move comes down its bc the President makes it or he was able to convince those $BMDs that it's time to end the embarrassment. This isn't just as simple as some think that RV is staying. President hasn't been happy with him. Now does he have the gusto to make a damn move. 

This is good news. And while I'm not connected to the $BMD's directly, I know someone who is, and they do consider RV a friend. And not like a, let's get together and do something once in awhile friend, but a let's get together at the holidays kind of family friend. It will be difficult to convince someone like that's mind about RV. So he's going to just have to do it and let the fall out happen.

It's a shame really. In a way, all of the good things that RV has presided over, new conference, better budget, new stadium, has now created the situation where expectations are there and it's difficult to see why things aren't better than they are.

On the other side of the coin which makes me conflicted about this, RV has been doing this all with one hand tied behind his back too really until the McCarney hire and even that one was to the Sun Belt. An outsider would see that he is now finally getting the chance to hire with what he accomplished.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops
added one more though

This is good news. And while I'm not connected to the $BMD's directly, I know someone who is, and they do consider RV a friend. And not like a, let's get together and do something once in awhile friend, but a let's get together at the holidays kind of family friend. It will be difficult to convince someone like that's mind about RV. So he's going to just have to do it and let the fall out happen.

It's a shame really. In a way, all of the good things that RV has presided over, new conference, better budget, new stadium, has now created the situation where expectations are there and it's difficult to see why things aren't better than they are.

On the other side of the coin which makes me conflicted about this, RV has been doing this all with one hand tied behind his back too really until the McCarney hire and even that one was to the Sun Belt. An outsider would see that he is now finally getting the chance to hire with what he accomplished.

It seems kind of silly to me to throw the baby out with the bathwater on this one.  Yes he's done some really really bad things with regards to hiring and such.  He may be the best fundraiser in the entire university.  Why get rid of that? Just change his title to fundraising chair and then go hire a new AD.  If RV's cool with that, (oh and by the way, at a somewhat reduced salary) then why wouldn't we do this?  

Don't give me the nonsense about RV meddling in the AD's affairs.  I think he'd be just fine with his new role and would stay out of the day to day activities of the AD's office.  

Or maybe I'm way off but do we want to piss off the $BMDs? No, we absolutely do not.  So we need to be careful about how this firing is handled.  

If  a firing even happens which I'm starting to feel more like it won't happen anytime soon. 

• Upvote 1

Don't give me the nonsense about RV meddling in the AD's affairs.  I think he'd be just fine with his new role and would stay out of the day to day activities of the AD's office.

Keeping the old AD around in a new prominent role would make some good AD candidates leery of coming here. You're envisioning a setup where RV still has all the sway and influence associated with big-money donors. The new AD wouldn't be able to establish his or her authority.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So I get tired of rhetoric without action, and being that I'm in digital marketing and spend all day targeting people in unique ways, I created a Facebook Ads campaign, targeting people working at the University of North Texas who make in excess of $200,000 per year, and only when they're within one mile of campus. A screen shot of my ad is below. My targeting has honed into an audience of less than 1,000 people. I've set to target them as many times per day as I can and will pay for each time my ad is viewed. My point will be made. I will spend less than $15 to bombard these people with my message and direct them to this thread. 

It's time for a new AD. And I'm totally serious. Just got the email that my ad has been approved and is live. 

Fire-Rick-V-Facebook-Ad.png

Just noticed some of our current players "Favorite" the tweet about this....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1