Question, and would love to know the answer.

meanrob

What exactly happened yesterday?

It wasn't talent disparity. No way you could convince me of that.

It wasn't purely coaching. Harry and I could have been co-head coaches yesterday and we don't lose 66-7.

If we had a real beat writer we might get answers but I want to know what the hell happened yesterday. That was the worse loss for a college football team in at least 30 years. I'm glad Dan is gone but there's more there.

Well, at the risk of putting anyone into a deeper funk, as I look at the Portland State roster, I think they may have more talent.  They've certainly gone all over the place to get it, from Virginia to Australia, and seem to be doing what we need to, tapping into the pool of Polynesian talent that is out there.  Check it out:

http://www.goviks.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Also from their athletic department website, story on yesterday's game:

http://www.goviks.com/news/2015/10/10/FB_1010150410.aspx

And of course we got outcoached from the minute McNulty was named our starter (Mac having expressed "extreme disappointment with Smith the Monday after Southern Miss); none of the coaches were doing any noticeable sideline coaching.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2

Well, at the risk of putting anyone into a deeper funk, as I look at the Portland State roster, I think they may have more talent.  They've certainly gone all over the place to get it, from Virginia to Australia, and seem to be doing what we need to, tapping into the pool of Polynesian talent that is out there.  Check it out:

http://www.goviks.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Also from their athletic department website, story on yesterday's game:

http://www.goviks.com/news/2015/10/10/FB_1010150410.aspx

And of course we got outcoached from the minute McNulty was named our starter (Mac having expressed "extreme disappointment with Smith the Monday after Southern Miss); none of the coaches were doing any noticeable sideline coaching.

Troy told me he heard on the radio that the Portland State Coach did not give scholarships to high school kids, he gives them only to transfer students from big schools. 

Portland State was a poor FCS program last year that went 4-8.  Their talent had nothing to do with it.

Everyone in Denton knew it was Mac's last game win or lose prior to kick off.  No reason to believe the team didn't either.  Somehow,...some way this team quit before coming out of the locker room.   Either there was a split between coaching factions similar to the Dickey finale that caused certain groups to pick sides and bail...or they all decided to make a statement to throw the game to get back at someone...I don't know?  I'm just guessing.  But it looked as if the players were left to coach and call their own plays?  There was no coaching going on the sidelines.  No yelling at players for missing blocks and tackles and assignments.  No substitutions being made for poor play...nothing.  Not one of the coaches looked a bit upset on the sidelines.  Not one.  No ass chewing...nothing.  Just clapping and lukewarm encouragement. 

I feel for the parents of the players. I'm sure they know what is going on and are stuck between supporting and encouraging change with their sons?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6

Portland State was a poor FCS program last year that went 4-8.  Their talent had nothing to do with it.

Everyone in Denton knew it was Mac's last game win or lose prior to kick off.  No reason to believe the team didn't either.  Somehow,...some way this team quit before coming out of the locker room.   Either there was a split between coaching factions similar to the Dickey finale that caused certain groups to pick sides and bail...or they all decided to make a statement to throw the game to get back at someone...I don't know?  I'm just guessing.  But it looked as if the players were left to coach and call their own plays?  There was no coaching going on the sidelines.  No yelling at players for missing blocks and tackles and assignments.  No substitutions being made for poor play...nothing.  Not one of the coaches looked a bit upset on the sidelines.  Not one.  No ass chewing...nothing.  Just clapping and lukewarm encouragement. 

I feel for the parents of the players. I'm sure they know what is going on and are stuck between supporting and encouraging change with their sons?

Rick

They went 0-8 under their previous coach, and 3-1 under his replacement, Barnum, so maybe it is all coaching, but they dominated us on both sides of the line early on, and at least their quarterback could take advantage of a short field.  If we have more talent, Saturday did not prove it.

Anyway, I have to develop a theory (conspiracy or not) about things, which my latest one is that Smatresk told RV to tell Mac to get someone in at quarterback who could get the job done, Mac refused to make any change, and once the starting lineup was announced, the firing was assured.

• Upvote 1

Troy told me he heard on the radio that the Portland State Coach did not give scholarships to high school kids, he gives them only to transfer students from big schools. 

When Barnum took control he did some in-house recruiting to give some players who he felt had contributed to the program and he felt hey needed to be rewarded. Here is the information on our 2015 signing day interview.

2015 Signing Day Interview with Portland State Head Football Coach Bruce Barnum

• Upvote 3

There were several plays where there was no LB or safety in the middle at all.  The QB saw this every time and either pulled the ball down and ran right up the  middle, or handed it off and the RB gobbled yards.

No life on the sidelines.  Nothing.  They quit, plain and simple.  It was obvious.  Frankly, it was infuriating. 

• Upvote 4

i was looking at the sidelines and the team looked like June Jones looked when they played us.  Mac keep looking into the tunnel where the players come out, guess he was looking for an exit.  I think some players should be let go because they showed no effort.  I have played on bad teams before but i never ever quit.  I wonder how Mac lost the team so badly, was it sticking with mcnulty?????

Rick

I don't completely agree with this. I watched the video feed from home and during one timeout I saw Kevin Patrick and Marcus Smith very hyped up trying to reach the guys huddling near the sideline but it obviously did no good.

• Upvote 1

I was sitting in a Starbucks in Brisbane listening to this game and was simply numb.  First I was glad I didn't try to get home for this game.  Second I thought, these kids have spoken.  They have spoken loud and clear and that was before the firing.  I wasn't mad, maybe knowing somewhere deep down this was going to bring about the change we want.  Mac is gone and we will all make a big sigh of relief when RV is fired.  Right now we can't fully embrace a vision of hope until RV is gone.  

1. There are consequences to quitting and this team will forever be linked to bringing about shame and embarrassment to this University.  Everyone could see it including our conference mates we let down by that display on Saturday.

2. I have no freaking idea what we will see on Thursday.  We are playing football in Texas and have a roster full of Texans that I know did not forget how to play the game.  Will they wake up and show their better side.  Will days of ridicule and reflection ignite a fire of redemption in them?  Is the real problem gone or is he still in the locker room?  I would not be surprised by us rising to an amazing upset or being out legitimately by a near top 25 team.

It is fascinating indeed and now RV needs to go to make me feel optimistic about the future.

Lock the Gate

GMG

I don't completely agree with this. I watched the video feed from home and during one timeout I saw Kevin Patrick and Marcus Smith very hyped up trying to reach the guys huddling near the sideline but it obviously did no good.

If anyone was watching Wallace, you can tell why the team elected him a Captain.  He was in every defensive player's ear during the first half.  Not many, if anyone, was listening to him.    I expect new life & new energy VS WKU.

The team simply quit. That doesn't mean no one cared or that no one gave any effort. But too many players "too off" too many plays. I saw a number of efforts at rallying the team on the side line by both coaches and players. But neither enough not efforts by those trying to rally nor enough players responding. 

I was sitting on the 9th row...48 yard line...and there was ZERO demand from the coaches to the players coming off the field to either "DO YOUR JOB or get off the field!".  When he was here I heard Skladany tell his players countless times after a bad defensive series...."If you can't get the job done I'll find someone else who will".... There was none of that.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

I didn't see any yelling when players came off the field. But I did see (and hear) some coaches and some players trying to get some kind of excitement or drive or just simple effort while units were on the side line and I'm on row 13. It was not that there was none, there simply wasn't enough. 

Maybe now there will be. We can hope. 

Video Eagle hit the nail on the head. The team quit on their coach. I don't know when he lost the team, whether last season or this, but he did. If we had won the game Mac would have been allowed to finish the season in the faint hope of turning the season around. He didn't, and the rest, as they say, is history. I agree 100% with Vito. I don't get a vote, but I want a coach who came up thru the high school ranks in Texas.

• Upvote 1

I was sitting on the 9th row...48 yard line...and there was ZERO demand from the coaches to the players coming off the field to either "DO YOUR JOB or get off the field!".  When he was here I heard Skladany tell his players countless times after a bad defensive series...."If you can't get the job done I'll find someone else who will".... There was one of that.

Rick

+1 for you simply because I love me some Skladany

Video Eagle hit the nail on the head. The team quit on their coach. I don't know when he lost the team, whether last season or this, but he did. If we had won the game Mac would have been allowed to finish the season in the faint hope of turning the season around. He didn't, and the rest, as they say, is history. I agree 100% with Vito. I don't get a vote, but I want a coach who came up thru the high school ranks in Texas.

Nope Mac was already gone, word was clear that Mac was to be fired after the game win or lose long before the game and it was rampant. You can bet it made the locker room long before the game, it looked like the players knew when they did the Mean Green March.

Edited by KingDL1

Nope Mac was already gone, word was clear that Mac was to be fired after the game win or lose long before the game and it was rampant. You can bet it made the locker room long before the game, it looked like the players knew when they did the Mean Green March.

I haven't seen any reports on this by folks who have to check their sources before going to print. If true, then it was completely stupid! If there was a plan to fire him anyway, let him coach through the Western Kentucky game to give the interim coach a longer period to get organized.  

Firing now only makes sense because of the result of the game.

I haven't seen any reports on this by folks who have to check their sources before going to print. If true, then it was completely stupid! If there was a plan to fire him anyway, let him coach through the Western Kentucky game to give the interim coach a longer period to get organized.  

Firing now only makes sense because of the result of the game.

Not sure when they planned to deliver  the news, but the rumor was coming from all the right places that Mac would be fired regardless of the game's outcome and the rumor was everywhere. Most of us were guessing Friday but after that loss there was nothing much to lose I guess. Plus it seemed clear that the players already knew. 

Not sure when they planned to deliver  the news, but the rumor was coming from all the right places that Mac would be fired regardless of the game's outcome and the rumor was everywhere. Most of us were guessing Friday but after that loss there was nothing much to lose I guess. Plus it seemed clear that the players already knew. 

Agree.  Several alumni visiting their individual departments earlier in the day were being told the same thing.

Rick