• Major Applewhite - Houston
    • Kendall Briles - Baylor
    • Jake Spavital - A&M
    • Doug Meacham - TCU
    • Matt Campbell - Toledo
    • Sonnie Cumby - TCU
    • Robert Prunty - Cincy
    • Willie Fritz - Ga. Southern

Granted there are only 128 D1 head coaching jobs, but with 7 fired coaches and only 11 winning seasons since 1980 I don't see us as a great date to the prom.We are probably as attractive as UTEP. but might look better at closing time.

What?!!! We are much more attractive then UTEP. They are stuck in El Paso. The only positive El Paso has over Denton is their Mexican food. We have great facilities and are in a great location. Basing our attractiveness on our history since 1980 is a bad standard. Coaches and recruits don't care that Oregon was a turd back in 1978.

We have much more to offer then we did back in the dark ages. We just need to place a high powered college offense in Apogee. A good smart coach will understand how he can make a name for himself here turning this program around.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3

He doesn't seem to be very popular, but I'm a huge fan of Fritz. That said, I'm afraid Georgia Southern to UNT would be too much of a lateral move - not something Fritz has done historically. He turned SHSU into a winner in the FCS and is doing the same at Georgia Southern. He could do it here too, if we could get him.

Edited by UNTDoc
bad speling
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Granted there are only 128 D1 head coaching jobs, but with 7 fired coaches and only 11 winning seasons since 1980 I don't see us as a great date to the prom.We are probably as attractive as UTEP. but might look better at closing time.

That's because the people running the program (AD and past head coaches) have been clueless when it comes to promoting the potential of the program.

Take the name off and consider this: fourth-largest school in Texas, largest school in Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, fantastic town, incredibly diverse student population, above average facilities for the Group Of Five level ... and did I mention it's in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, perhaps the richest recruiting grounds in America.

Dont like any of these names. 

If you don't like multiple up-and-coming, young, energetic, offensive minds tied greatly to Texas high schools, who do you suggest?

• Upvote 3

Also ONE other difference between North Texas and Georgia Southern is that one demands that there Coach wins whereas the other just hopes there coach wins.

Wow. An FBS move up is more serious about athletics than UNT. Shocked.

Let me ask you, has your AD been there 15 years, made numerous bad decisions on coaching hires, runs an F'd up ticket office that can't get away game tickets distributed, consistently and pathologically lie to the fan base to cover his large ass, and manipulate all of your large donors through personal friendship into supporting him so that he has the job for life? 

This is Why Not North Texas.

Wow. An FBS move up is more serious about athletics than UNT. Shocked.

Let me ask you, has your AD been there 15 years, made numerous bad decisions on coaching hires, runs an F'd up ticket office that can't get away game tickets distributed, consistently and pathologically lie to the fan base to cover his large ass, and manipulate all of your large donors through personal friendship into supporting him so that he has the job for life? 

This is Why Not North Texas.

Sounds like Georgia Southern AD for 17 years if you add the following points.  Did not understand how APR worked.  Did not understand the bid process for the FCS playoffs, ect.......

Thank goodness Georgia Southern got a pro athletics President that got him to announce his retirement about a year before Southern accepted the move up to the Sun Belt and replaced him with a real AD.

• Upvote 2

What about Ed Orgeron, he doesn't have the Texas ties but he was able to go 6-2 as the interim head coach at USC. He's the D-Line coach at LSU. You cant have your blindfolds on another defensive head coach because of Mac.  He had success at USC in 2013, not Iowa State back in 2003.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know these aren't popular choices but what about Joe Moglia out of Coastal Carolina?  I use to work at TD Ameritrade, nothing but great things about him.  He's turned Coastal Carolina around, I believe they're going into the Sun Belt?  I mean, if Joe Ricketts and him could turning TDA into a billion dollar company and Coastal Carolina into a top FCS team, why cant he do the same here?

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 1

That's because the people running the program (AD and past head coaches) have been clueless when it comes to promoting the potential of the program.

Take the name off and consider this: fourth-largest school in Texas, largest school in Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, fantastic town, incredibly diverse student population, above average facilities for the Group Of Five level ... and did I mention it's in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, perhaps the richest recruiting grounds in America.

If you don't like multiple up-and-coming, young, energetic, offensive minds tied greatly to Texas high schools, who do you suggest?

I'm sticking to these 2 names: Turner Gill & Mario Cristobal.  They've done it before. They've each turned bad programs around. Will it happen? Probably a snow balls chance in hell. Texas high school ties mean didley squat, IMO. Local high school kids don't want to come to UNT, it's the cold hard truth.  We need someone that can recruit nationally as well as they can in Texas. 

I'm sticking to these 2 names: Turner Gill & Mario Cristobal.  They've done it before. They've each turned bad programs around. Will it happen? Probably a snow balls chance in hell. Texas high school ties mean didley squat, IMO. Local high school kids don't want to come to UNT, it's the cold hard truth.  We need someone that can recruit nationally as well as they can in Texas. 

Go look at TCU's roster, 80% of the players are from Texas.  Why waste the money and recruit nationally when there's plenty of talent in the state?  McNulty was one of Iowa's top QB's coming out of high school yet he couldn't even start for Allen this year.  High school kids want to play for a winning program, its that easy.  If you win games better players from the area will come, you just have to find a way to win first. 

Go look at TCU's roster, 80% of the players are from Texas.  Why waste the money and recruit nationally when there's plenty of talent in the state?  McNulty was one of Iowa's top QB's coming out of high school yet he couldn't even start for Allen this year.  High school kids want to play for a winning program, its that easy.  If you win games better players from the area will come, you just have to find a way to win first. 

I agree with you 100%. Winning consistently solves most of our recruiting issues. Yes, we need to recruit Texas but Texas high school ties don't do dick for a perennial door mat such as UNT.  My point was that a good recruiter can recruit anywhere.

Edited by Got5onIt

I agree with you 100%. Winning consistently solves most of our recruiting issues. Yes, we need to recruit Texas but Texas high school ties don't do dick for a perennial door mat such as UNT.  My point was that a good recruiter can recruit anywhere.

Look at TCU and Baylor, they stuck with the Texas ties and look where they are.  If you can recruit a QB, you can change an entire program.  Yes, good recruiters will do that, you just don't have to waste time and money looking outside of Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma. 

There is no need whatsoever for UNT to sign a single player outside the state of Texas.

What there's a need for is someone who can make players in Texas excited about signing with UNT.

Hopefully whoever makes the hire does not go the retread route. That's what UNT just experienced.

What about Ed Orgeron, he doesn't have the Texas ties but he was able to go 6-2 as the interim head coach at USC. He's the D-Line coach at LSU. You cant have your blindfolds on another defensive head coach because of Mac.  He had success at USC in 2013, not Iowa State back in 2003.

What about his time at Ole Miss? Are we just looking past the time he was a full HC, not just interim, and was not able to recruit and put up good results?

OK.  Can you offer alternatives other than Fritz?

e1d4cf268d205ff30a492a50e5e3b7cdb4f08be8

Yes, maybe not as experienced a Willie Fritz, but a whole lot of upside, especially for somebody his age; Brad Smiley, TVCC Coach (and AD) 

Brad.jpg

Named by American Football Monthly magazine as the 2014 Rawlings Football National Junior College Coach of the Year, as well as the 2014 and 2013 SWJCFC Coach of the Year, Brad Smiley has just finished his eighth season at the helm of Trinity Valley Football.  He has built the program from only 2 wins in his first season to back-to-back double digit win seasons, back-to-back SWJCFC Conference and SWJCFC Regional Championships, back-to-backNJCAA Bowl Championships and currently holds a 21-game unbeaten streak.  Smiley is the only current head coach in the conference to have won both a regular season and regional championship, as well as in the same season.  Smiley is the first SWJCFC coach to accomplish that feat in back-to-back seasons in 20 years  (Willie Fritz,1995-96). The Cardinals have been the most dominant team in the Southwest Junior College Football Conference recently qualifying for the playoffs 4 of the previous 5 seasons and making the SWJCFC Regional Championship game 3 of those 4 seasons, of course winning it all twice.  They have also had 7 different players recognized as the conference's overall, offensive or defensive players of the year since 2009.  The Cardinals are also one of the nation's leaders in placing players at the next level with both 4-year universities and Division 1 Football FBS and FCS programs, leading the nation in 3 of the past 4 seasons.

The Cardinals run in 2014 was a historic one, becoming only the third team in school history to finish with a perfect 12-0 record and the fourth to finish the regular season undefeated.  The SWJCFC Championship was the 20th in school history, and the trip to the 2014 C.HA.M.P.S Heart of Texas Bowl was the 20th in school history as well (TVCC leads the SWJCFC all-time in both categories). The offense put up unprecedented numbers in 2014, breaking the NJCAA All-Time record in total offense (7,778 yards), yards per game (648.1) and placekicker Leo Peralta broke the NJCAA All-Time record for PAT's (95).  The Cardinal offense led the nation in al of those categories, as well as points scored (704), points per game (58.7), touchdowns (96), passing touchdowns (52), passing yards (4,343), rushing yards (3,434) and yards per carry (7.6).  The offense also finished 2nd nationally in passing yards per game (368.6), rushing yards per game (289.5) and were 3rd nationally in rushing touchdowns (43).  10 of the Cardinals 12 games in 2014 rank among the top 35 highest scoring games in school history, going for more than 50 points ten times, 60 points five times and 70 points three times.  The Cardinal defense also had a great year, finishing first in the conference in total defense, passing defense, points per game and yards per game.  Also, Cardinal sophomore linebacker, Cortney Finney, was named both the 2014NJCAA and SWJCFC Defensive Player of the Year.  In 3 of the past 4 seasons a Cardinal has won the conference's defensive top honor.  In special teams, the Cards led the nation in kicking points scored (128) and PAT's (95), both breaking SWJCFC Conference records set by the Cardinals kickers in 2013. The 2014 Cardinals once again led the conference with 11 first or second team All-SWJCFCselections, and had 2 NJCAA 1st Team Al-Americans, OL Reggie Harris and LB Cortney Finney.

During his tenure as head football coach, Smiley boasts 15 NJCAA All-Americans, 7 SWJCFC MVP's, 26 SWJCFC Players of the Week, 10 NJCAA National Players of the Week, 1 NJCAA National Player of the Year and 66 1st or 2nd Team All-Conference selections.  As a team the Cardinals have played in the 2014, 2013 and 2010 SWJCFC Regional Championship games (winning in both 2013 & 2014), the 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014 Regional Semi-Finals and bowl games in three of the last four years (2014 an 2013 C.H.A.M.P.S. Heart of Texas Bowl, 2011 Citizen's Bank Bowl).  Statistically, they have been among the conference and nations leaders in offense, defense and special teams. As head coach of the Cardinals, Smiley has been a part of 26 of the top 40 scoring games in school history. 

Smiley came to Trinity Valley after spending 7 seasons coaching at Divsion I - FBS Tulane University. During his time in New Orleans he was the recruiting coordinator and coached the Green Wave tight ends.  During his tenure at Tulane he was a part of an offensive staff that helped produce the university's all-time leading passer, leading scorer and leading rusher as well as several all-time leading receivers.

Smiley began his coaching career at his alma mater, Baylor University, as a student assistant in 1995. 

In his 3 years as AD, Trinity Valley has seen unprecedented success.  In 2014 and 2013, all 5 sports reached the regional playoffs, 5 conference regular season championships have been won (football (2), women's basketball (2) and men's basketball (1), 4 regional championships (football (2) and women's basketball(2), 2 won the NJCAA National Championship (women's basketball) and 4 competed in NJCAA post-season tournaments, bowls or national championship competitions. 

http://www2.tvcc.edu/Football/article.aspx?articleid=862&zoneid=295&deptid=200

• Upvote 1

What about his time at Ole Miss? Are we just looking past the time he was a full HC, not just interim, and was not able to recruit and put up good results?

I would say that he learned from his mistakes at Ole Miss, I know he changed a lot of things.  Mac was unable to change, that was his biggest problem. 

• Upvote 1

Just sayin'.... 

I know it's unpopular, but what if he does really well in the last 7 games?

I hope he does really well to the point that he would be considered a viable candidate. The more qualified coaches that we have to choose from, the better. 

Now, in Mikes case, these next 7 games are huge but he would also be evaluated on his ability/inability to recruit and develop offensive players over the last six years.

Most of these wonderboys have accomplished nothing, except maybe being in the right place at the right time and being promoted into positions on teams that were already winning by huge margins. Head coach at a division 1 school, no way. Much of that list isn't experienced enough to be the head coach at a high school.

They may all be outstanding head coaches in their time, but it is inconceivable to consider them viable options for North Texas, especially with the incredible rebuilding challenge with which we are currently presented.

Psh. Experience? Let's go call Dan Mccarney if you want "experience." You saw where his experience got us. We have to go after the best big name, affordable and young splash hire we can. 2015 and going forward is not about experience or X's and O's, it's all about the Jimmy's and Joe's. See how lucrative how recruiting classes have been with experience?  We need a young guy in here that will relate with players and make things FUN. 

A former player under Mccarney told me that his program and the way he ran it wasn't fun and actually life sucking. Coincidentally, Canales used the word fun over and over and over in his first presser. Kids want to have fun. "Experienced" 55+ year olds don't fit that description. 1 exception: Pete Carrol. He preached fun at USC and he's still preaching it in Seattle. There aren't many SUCCESSFUL sub 50 year olds that have HC experience. And if there are, guess what, probably not coming here. 

• Upvote 1

There is no need whatsoever for UNT to sign a single player outside the state of Texas.

What there's a need for is someone who can make players in Texas excited about signing with UNT.

Hopefully whoever makes the hire does not go the retread route. That's what UNT just experienced.

Why would NT deny a recruit based on location? You sound like Mac and his 6'4" QB requirement. You want recruits to be excited about UNT? Well, you have to win first. Texas is over filled  with 11 FBS programs, not to mention OU, LA, & AR knocking on our door.  NT should fill with JUCO prospects, win now, and recruit nationally as well as locally. 

Edited by Got5onIt